Does The Positives Of A Calcium Supplement Outweigh The Negatives?

Best form of calcium supplement?

• Bone meal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Calcium hydroxyapatite (MCHA)

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Calcium Citrate

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Calcium Carbonate

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Egg shell calcium supplement

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters

Josh

I eat raw gruyere cheese for over a year at like 100g a day and my eczema was the worst it has ever been but i never pinpointed it to cheese for what ever reason, as i reduced the amount i noticed a huge difference, as soon as i stopped it my eczema flare ups significantly reduced to basically nothing these day. In isolation i’ve tried: Parmigianno, Gouda (Basically any high quality cheese), Mild organic cheese, Organic skimmed milk/semi/full, Lots of different milk brands, tried raw milk.. ALL cause my eczema flare ups to come back.

So until my gut health improves and i can tolerate milk again, i 100% CANNOT eat dairy.

My question is regarding supplements, There so much info out there that their actually really bad for you, can attribute to heart problems etc but at the same time i don’t want to be deficient in calcium..

-Chris masterjohn recommends Bone meal or calcium citrate and does not like carbonate/hydroxide etc due to them having a track record of causing calcium-alkali syndrome. Chris kresser also recommends Bone meal (even though hes not a fan at all of supplements).

-Travis in this group recommends the Calcium Hydroxyapatite (Mcha) which does actually look great.

-Ray peat recommends calcium carbonate or egg shells which are basically carbonate and not citrate.

1: What form is really superior? Just lost with all these different opinions. (No i don't want to grind my egg shells, i don't have access to good quality egg shells at the moment.

2: Should one worry about the apparent risks of calcium supplements? Is there any way to mitigate these? (I was under the impression it was due to there being to much calcium at one time and spaced out evenly throughout the day can help? And also getting adequate Vit K, D etc..)

3: Also, i’ve been considering a leafy green, kale seems okay, if i cook kale for example, will calcium be lost during cooking and does the cooking take away the negatives of eating leaves (Oxalates, goitrogens etc..) which ones the best?

(Uk based)

JoeT

I don't often take a supplement as I eat a lot of dairy now but when I do I just put a few grams of a pure calcium carbonate from Germany (they seem to have robust regulations over supplements unlike most countries) in some orange juice and leave it to react for ten mins and have never had issues with stomach sensitivity.

SnickeD

I eat raw gruyere cheese for over a year at like 100g a day and my eczema was the worst it has ever been but i never pinpointed it to cheese for what ever reason, as i reduced the amount i noticed a huge difference, as soon as i stopped it my eczema flare ups significantly reduced to basically nothing these day. In isolation i’ve tried: Parmigianno, Gouda (Basically any high quality cheese), Mild organic cheese, Organic skimmed milk/semi/full, Lots of different milk brands, tried raw milk.. ALL cause my eczema flare ups to come back.

So until my gut health improves and i can tolerate milk again, i 100% CANNOT eat dairy.

My question is regarding supplements, There so much info out there that their actually really bad for you, can attribute to heart problems etc but at the same time i don’t want to be deficient in calcium..

-Chris masterjohn recommends Bone meal or calcium citrate and does not like carbonate/hydroxide etc due to them having a track record of causing calcium-alkali syndrome. Chris kresser also recommends Bone meal (even though hes not a fan at all of supplements).

-Travis in this group recommends the Calcium Hydroxyapatite (Mcha) which does actually look great.

-Ray peat recommends calcium carbonate or egg shells which are basically carbonate and not citrate.

1: What form is really superior? Just lost with all these different opinions. (No i don't want to grind my egg shells, i don't have access to good quality egg shells at the moment.

2: Should one worry about the apparent risks of calcium supplements? Is there any way to mitigate these? (I was under the impression it was due to there being to much calcium at one time and spaced out evenly throughout the day can help? And also getting adequate Vit K, D etc..)

3: Also, i’ve been considering a leafy green, kale seems okay, if i cook kale for example, will calcium be lost during cooking and does the cooking take away the negatives of eating leaves (Oxalates, goitrogens etc..) which ones the best?

(Uk based)

Did you try organic fresh goats or sheep cheese ? Thats the easiest digesting cheese in my experience. I tried introducing regular a1 cream and it made me more constipated i think. Its always hard to know, but it has been best only using ghee and a feta cheese.

Regarding leafy greens, someone on the fb group mentioned that you can use sodium bicarbonate when you cook it. it should then somehow neutralize the oxalate, i dont know if its true. but maybe something to investigate.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals