NOOPEPT (GLYCINE AND PROLINE)

High_Prob

See below for an interesting explanation of Noopept (taken from Reddit so grain of salt and all that jazz). I knew Glycine was involved but didn't realize that the main metabolite was stucturally similar to the neurodipeptide, Cycloprolylglycine (dipeptide of Glycine and Proline). In another thread Haidut mentions that taking high dose Glycine gave him a similar feeling to Noopept. Taking Proline and Glycine together may be a cool experiment (I know it's not the same as ingesting the dipeptide but would still be a cool experiment). Of course Glycine and Proline are the two main amino acids in Gelatin/Collagen but they are not the only aminos in Gelatin/Collagen (the experiment would be with varying doses of these two single aminos only).

Has anyone tried a combination of the single amino acids Glycine and Proline and noticed any cognitive benefit? If so what were the doses taken for each?

EXPLANATION TAKEN FROM REDDIT:
"Noopept is the brand name for N-phenylacetyl-L-prolylglycine ethyl ester.

Noopept is not a Racetam.

Noopept is a modified dipeptide (two bonded amino acids). The Racetams are not peptides. The Racetams have a 2-oxo-pyrollidine skeleton. Noopept does not have this structure. Noopept is not a modification of Piracetam. It is an entirely different molecule.

Noopept works in some ways similarly to Piracetam - so it is more correctly called an analog of Piracetam.

Examples of analogs are Ethyl Alcohol, Benzodiazepines and Barbiturates. They all work by increasing sensitivity of the GABA receptor to GABA. But they are completely different molecules.

THE BODY RAPIDLY CONVERTS NOOPEPT INTO THREE MOLECULES:

• Phenylacetic acid
  • Prolylglycine
  • Cyclo-prolylglycine - a dipeptide (that combines Proline and Glycine) that naturally occurs in the nervous system.
Cyclo-prolylglycine is the active molecule that provides the nootropic effects of Noopept. It also has anti-anxiety effects.

CYCLO-PROLYLGLYCINE HAS APPARENTLY COMPLEX MECHANISMS OF ACTION. SOME ARE (THIS NOT AN EXHAUSTIVE LIST):

• glutamate NMDA receptor blocker
  • glutamate AMPA receptor blocker.
  • allosteric glutamate AMPA receptor agonist
  • suppression of calcium-gated potassium channels
  • suppression of voltage-gated calcium channels
  • suppression of voltage-gated potassium channels
  • Cyclo-prolylglycine can bind to Calcium ions and magnesium ions.
By binding to calcium Cyclo-prolylglycine may have neuroprotective effects by preventing excessive calcium influx into cells at Glutamate receptors which can cause neuron cell death.

Cyclo-prolyglycine is produced naturally by breaking down Glycine-Proline-Glutamate. (The Glutamate that is cleaved off can be neurotoxic if not for Cyclo-prolylglycine's ability to bind calcium.)

Glycine-Proline-Glutamate itself is produced from the breakdown of IGF-1 (Insulin Growth Factor-1). Insulin Growth Factor-1 is produced in the Liver in response to Growth Hormone stimulating Liver Growth Hormone Receptors. IGF-1 accomplishes most of Growth Hormones actions. Glycine-Proline-Glutamate is a neurotransmitter that increases the release of Acetylcholine and Dopamine. It may also be an Glutamate NMDA Receptor blocker.

You could say that Noopept is the "new peptide" modification of Cyclo-prolylglycine (get the pun?).

The patent for Noopept essentially calls it a modification of Cyclo-prolylglycine. It is a bad patent in that it tries to patent a naturally occurring product Cyclo-prolylglycine for use in neuroprotection.

Noopept could be called a Pro-drug for Cyclo-prolylglycine. But it is not. Cyclo-prolyglycine is a natural molecule in the nervous system. Thus Cyclo-prolyglcine is NOT a drug.

The analogy is: Noopept is to L-Dopa as Dopamine is to Cyclo-prolyglycine. L-Dopa is what is administered for treating Parkinson's disease because Dopamine has difficulty entering the brain, while L-Dopa can enter the brain and then be converted to the active form - Dopamine.

RELATIONSHIP OF RACETAMS TO NOOPEPT:

If anything, Piracetams and the other Racetams are artificial molecules that MIMIC the effects of Cyclo-prolylglycine.

So another analogy is: Piracetam is to Cyclo-prolyglycine as Cabergoline is to Dopamine. Cabergoline is an artifical form of Dopamine.

Since Noopept is converted to a naturally occurring nervous system molecule rather than staying as an artificial molecule like Piracetam, you can say that it is probably safer than the racetams. The only problem is that there is little research on Cyclo-prolylglycine. And its use essentially floods the brain with Cyclo-prolylglycine - similarly to how Melatonin is used in megadoses compared to what the brain itself produces. Large doses of Melatonin have other systemic properties in addition to triggering sleep - including infertility in women, fatigue, insomnia itself, etc. The long-term safety of Noopept use remain to be seen. It is a relatively young molecule. So only with the experience of thousands over time will its safety become clearer.

REGARDING THE OTHER BYPRODUCTS FROM NOOPEPT:

PHENYLACETIC ACID is also a naturally produced product. It is produced from Phenethylamine (PEA) - a neurotransmitter by Monoamine Oxidase. Phenylacetic acid is then converted to Phenylacetaldehyde by the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase. Phenylacetaldehyde is widely found in nature (e.g. found naturally in chocolate, fragrances, pheromones). It has antibiotic properties.

PROLYLGLYCINE is a naturally produced product. It is a dipeptide. It is found in foods. Like other peptides, it can be used to generate energy. It can be used to make proteins - such as in producing elastin in human dermal fibroblasts."

Last edited:

Stilgar

Interesting stuff! Isn't it associated with alleviating learned helplessness? I wonder by what mechanism?

Drareg

Noopept is potent stuff, it has libido lowering effects in my experience, cold hands and feet.
With a Lower dose and t3 not so much the above effect.

Pregnenolone and thiamine trump it from my own experience.

Stryker

a good nootropic but in my experience less is more ,
10mg a day for 60 days and any more than that and i started to get memory loss , erectile disfunction and a general feeling of being disconnected from my consiousness

having said that when dosed right effects are the opposite , first time using it i felt very fluent in speech and had abit of a doperminergic feel

Stryker

ordered some fasoracetam and theacrine , will report back here after i try them

Mhtro

Here is my experience with it.

First time taking it (I took it sublingually, around 20mg) it looked like the whole "greyish" view of the world I had vanished, the colours looked more alive this effect stayed with me even though I haven't used it in some time now.
Stimulant wise I barely noticed any stimulation, doesn't come close to modafinil or any other amphetamine (obviously), it made my emotions very blunt and in general It was like I felt less.
Memory wise I noticed slight improvements, Noopept is a long-run type of supplement. I advise you get the nasal spray version instead of the powder just due to ease of use. DO NOT I repeat DO NOT go with capsules because it has poor bioavailability, like extremely poor.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals