EMF From Headphones

mrchibbs

What's it called? I saw a link on here that was "moms for low EMF" or something.

I also have a Samsung. I believe it's the lesser evil compared to Apple, but going third-party or finding older devices is better.

It's called Mudita Pure

OP
Green Dot

Green Dot

Have you settled on a pair of airtubes? I read that the DefenderShield one that @JamesGatz posted has magnets on the earphones and produces EMF, said to be not worth the price in reveiws. @Vajra and @aniciete Did you end up buying them?
I didn’t, I read that the audio quality might not be the best, so I’m just limiting my overall exposure now.

mrchibbs

It isn't expensive, airplane mode can be turned on with a physical switch, warm light flashlight, can play FLAC. Looks good. I look foward to your review.

I will certainly update you once I get it!

RealNeat

If you get inner ear aches from it, then why do you recommend it?
I said I recommend non in ear (over ear style) wired with ferrite bead.

Then, I mentioned that for someone who wants a less harmful wireless device that they consider infra red. For the sake of transparency I mention my experience with them, localized field is possible but the readings are not high, it could be some sort of headache from the synthetic material, the weight of the phones, how they sit on my head or the fact that all headphones squeeze my eyeglasses against the cartilage of my ear.

K

Kayaker

I said I recommend non in ear (over ear style) wired with ferrite bead.

Then, I mentioned that for someone who wants a less harmful wireless device that they consider infra red. For the sake of transparency I mention my experience with them, localized field is possible but the readings are not high, it could be some sort of headache from the synthetic material, the weight of the phones, how they sit on my head or the fact that all headphones squeeze my eyeglasses against the cartilage of my ear.
I didn't know what a ferrite bead was. It's questionable, how does it stop EMF from the phone while transferring electricity and data to the headphones? I'll buy some to test them once I find a good EMF meter.

RealNeat

I didn't know what a ferrite bead was. It's questionable, how does it stop EMF from the phone while transferring electricity and data to the headphones? I'll buy some to test them once I find a good EMF meter.
No it's not questionable, it's an industry standard for diminishing electric noise in equipment.

"A ferrite bead is a type of choke that suppresses high-frequency electronic noise in electronic circuits. Ferrite beads employ high-frequency current dissipation in a ferrite ceramic to build high-frequency noise suppression devices." Wiki

If you go back to my OP you will see that I said on airplane mode. It doesn't really stop RF traveling up the cable nor does it stop the audio signal (though it can disrupt some of the RF travel.) You're implying things I didn't say, you've done it a few times now on various posts.

Read more thoroughly. It's meant to redirect/ cancel dirty electricity, EMI electric and magnetic fields, especially if one is listening while the phone is plugged in. It's to prevent the frequencies from being attracted to your head because of the magnets contained in headphones.

"Ferrite achieves high permeability with low conductivity by containing iron nuclei in a crystal structure that allows them to be magnetic but does not have the conduction band of electron states that is present in metallic forms. Without the conduction band there's no easy way for a current to pass through the crystal. A somewhat oversimplified intuition is that the oxygen atoms in the crystal are acting as insulators between the iron atoms."

However, this video by LessEMF shows even greater efficacy for RF than I previously thought. It will only work for a certain part of the RF spectrum and will not wholly mitigate.

View: https://youtu.be/_cUt9DSJDpc

Last edited:
K

Kayaker

No it's not questionable, it's an industry standard for diminishing electric noise in equipment.

"A ferrite bead is a type of choke that suppresses high-frequency electronic noise in electronic circuits. Ferrite beads employ high-frequency current dissipation in a ferrite ceramic to build high-frequency noise suppression devices." Wiki
I meant questionable for the application of headphones specifically.
If you go back to my OP you will see that I said on airplane mode. It doesn't stop RF traveling up the cable nor does it stop the audio signal (though it can disrupt some of the RF travel.) You're implying things I didn't say, you've done it a few times now on various posts.
I'm aware that this is with the phone on airplane mode.
Read more thoroughly. It's meant to redirect dirty electricity, electric fields. It's to prevent the frequencies from being attracted to your head because of the magnets contained in headphones.
I wasn't aware that there are magnets in headphones. Then ferrite beads only suppress high-frequency noise from the phone and not the intended signals which are a lower frequency?

RealNeat

I meant questionable for the application of headphones specifically.

I'm aware that this is with the phone on airplane mode.

I wasn't aware that there are magnets in headphones. Then ferrite beads only suppress high-frequency noise from the phone and not the intended signals which are a lower frequency?
That's the idea, but I think just having similar material on the cable disrupting the flow of EMI is a simple concept that can be achieved by various different materials. It doesn't make it wholly safe, just somewhat prevents things from traveling up to the head.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals