How to avoid depressive symptoms when eating choline rich foods?

Borz

Forum Supporter
Eat the same amount of choline every day at least. This allows the body to adjust. If you eat them infrequently it won't be so smooth. Even better would be to eat them at the same time everyday.

If it still causes you problems that you can't get rid of. You may need to avoid choline rich foods or possibly have them at night before you sleep. That way you are not awake and they can get into the system and by the time you wake you should be fine. You could have high AChE inhibition if you supplement zinc and/or manganese (both of them do this). If you supplement B-complex that can cause high cholinergic activity. Or you can naturally have high acetylcholine. Like I said usually the body will adjust to your intake if it is consistent.
why does B-complex cause high cholinergic activity? which Bs specifically?

redsun

why does B-complex cause high cholinergic activity? which Bs specifically?
B-vitamins enhance acetyl-CoA synthesis since they are required for the enzymes. Some people who are prone to excess Ach will get negative symptoms from supplementing high amounts.

Frankdee20

Fish oil supplements give me terrible anxiety and rigidity, probably due to raising choline. Fish does not do this to me, even 8 ounces of Tuna or Salmon.

P

Peatness

Increasing choline seems to be having the same effect on my mood

I know this is not uncommon, and there are other people with the same issue.
Choline supplements and choline rich foods make me depressed, sluggish and slows my thinking process and verbal fluency.
Supplements in the form of polyenyl-phosphatidylcholine (PPC) seems to be the worst. I get similar reactions from eating eggs, and most notably from eating chicken or any kind of fowl meat. For a while, I thought I had an allergy to chicken meat but the reactions are too similar when supplementing choline. Pork doesn't give me these reactions although it does contain a decent amount of choline as well. I guess there are slightly different forms of choline in different meats.
Are there any strategies to mitigate these effects, such as increasing AChE, or avoiding choline rich foods is the way to go?
Thanks!
Are you sure that it is the choline in the eggs and chicken and not the soy and corn in the chicken feed? Vitamin J has been a positive for me.

OP
miquelangeles

miquelangeles

Are you sure that it is the choline in the eggs and chicken and not the soy and corn in the chicken feed? Vitamin J has been a positive for me.
I don't have that issue any more and I'm not sure if it was the choline but it did happen with supplemental phosphatidylcholine as well. It could have been a liver issue because it went away after I increased my bile flow. It's not something that pay much attention to, but I used to find the eggs from grain fed chicken less allergenic than free range ones, and the same goes for milk. The simpler the feed composition, the less chance for allergens to pass into the milk.

I don't have that issue any more and I'm not sure if it was the choline but it did happen with supplemental phosphatidylcholine as well. It could have been a liver issue because it went away after I increased my bile flow. It's not something that pay much attention to, but I used to find the eggs from grain fed chicken less allergenic than free range ones, and the same goes for milk. The simpler the feed composition, the less chance for allergens to pass into the milk.
I can’t eat eggs unless they are soy and corn free, they make me queasy and fatigued. One size does not fit all. Glad you got things figured out.

Warrior

P5P over the counter at 100mg then upto 200mg if you don't feel the difference. If that doesn't work look into Caber which is pharma and far more dramatic but may be overkill unless you're chemically assisted.

There are other methods I could recommend but these two represent the best at either end of the scale so try that first and see.

LLight

Andy316

Not a long term solution and definitely not during dinner time as can cause insomnia for some, but a small amount of coke or pepsi really masks the depressive effects of high choline foods for me. Still undecided whether its the caffeine or phosphoric acid that does the trick.

PopSocket

Having the same issue with choline from any source. 2-3 eggs I am fine , 4-5 eggs and I feel severely depressed. Tried Alpha GPC many years ago and it caused the worst 24-36h depression I've ever had. Same for my girlfriend at the time, we were very similar biochemically, reacting the same way to almost everything. Looking for ways to up my egg intake as I have a really good source at the moment.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals