Do you stop supplementing thyroid in the summer?

P

Peatness

It's been hot here and I've been over heating so I stopped taking thyroid today. It it safe to do this? Do you lower or stop thyroid in the summer?
Also, do you increase your salt intake in the summer?

Last edited by a moderator:

Rafe

I end up doing both of those. I also overheat in hot Texas summer. A couple of days ago my temp was 99.7. I’m not convinced that’s metabolism or all metabolism. I just don’t see how or I’d expect to be very thin instead of looking kind of mixedemic. I suspect it’s serotonin.

In these 100+ degree days I normally, with nothing, can’t sleep & end up taking cold showers & baths.

This summer I’ve done better by taking small doses of cyproheptadine to sleep, acetazolamide (every other day about 25mg) to concentrate minerals, & salt + potassium gluconate as an electrolyte drink every couple of days.

I eat less, eat more fruit, siesta most days, stay out of the heat in 100+ days.

I’m just too hot with t3 in persistently hot weather.

Rafe

But, I also don’t take much t3 anymore at all b/c my temps are always in the 99s in the middle of the day. Just one tiny dose in the morning with food.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Yes I do. I’ve been stopping it every summer and have never had a problem.

livesimply

I live in the mid-Atlantic area. I lower my dose, but do not stop it. Tried once with horrible outcome. As the weather cools I will slowly increase again.

Vileplume

It should be fine, as long as it's not a huge instant drop in the amount you're taking. You could go down 1/2 grain or so at a time, waiting two weeks between and taking basal temperature every day. I think the most important thing is making sure the waking temp doesn't fall below 97.8 when you stop taking it.

A few weeks ago I dropped down half a grain and my waking temp didn't change at all.

OP
P

Peatness

Thanks for all your replies. Stopping it gave me strange heart beat so I resumed but lowered the dose. My waking temperature did drop to 36.2 rather than 36.5/6.

Beastmode

Definitely lower in my case as the temps warm up here in the South. However, I don't go off temp alone and always consider other factors (i.e- sleep quality, mood, focus, energy, etc.) Some days in the summer, I might have just as much as in the winter months.

It's a factor, but not the only one, so it always "depends."

I take T3 during the day and a bit of T3/T4 at night most days.

Lollipop2

I don’t reduce or stop @Peatness mainly because of working. Most work carries some stress; even though I love my work, it definitely has stress. Tyromax makes such a difference at work. How I discovered was I forgot to put it in my lunchbox one day. I bring my lunch everyday. One day I forgot my Tyromax so didn’t have my lunch dose - boy oh boy by about 3:00pm I was dragging myself through the day. Otherwise, my energy stays mostly steady and if it drops nothing a small organic natural (no additives) candy cane doesn’t fix :):. Needless to say, I haven’t forgotten my Tyromax since that day - lol.

OP
P

Peatness

I don’t reduce or stop @Peatness mainly because of working. Most work carries some stress; even though I love my work, it definitely has stress. Tyromax makes such a difference at work. How I discovered was I forgot to put it in my lunchbox one day. I bring my lunch everyday. One day I forgot my Tyromax so didn’t have my lunch dose - boy oh boy by about 3:00pm I was dragging myself through the day. Otherwise, my energy stays mostly steady and if it drops nothing a small organic natural (no additives) candy cane doesn’t fix :):. Needless to say, I haven’t forgotten my Tyromax since that day - lol.
Thanks. I tend to alternate tyromax and tyromix. I do this because there are days I need to avoid vitamin E. Do you increase your salt intake during the summer months?

OP
P

Peatness

T4, T3 or both? What’s your dose?
Tyromax (7 drops) or Tyromix (2 x 3 drops). I get the feeling I am not dosing this correctly.
Definitely lower in my case as the temps warm up here in the South. However, I don't go off temp alone and always consider other factors (i.e- sleep quality, mood, focus, energy, etc.) Some days in the summer, I might have just as much as in the winter months.

It's a factor, but not the only one, so it always "depends."

I take T3 during the day and a bit of T3/T4 at night most days.

Thank you

Lollipop2

Thanks. I tend to alternate tyromax and tyromix. I do this because there are days I need to avoid vitamin E. Do you increase your salt intake during the summer months?
Maybe? LoL. I am not sure. I salt to taste and maybe I add more when cooking and my body needs it. My food mostly comes out perfectly salted so a natural flow seems to be working.

OP
P

Peatness

Maybe? LoL. I am not sure. I salt to taste and maybe I add more when cooking and my body needs it. My food mostly comes out perfectly salted so a natural flow seems to be working.
Thanks. Salt is one thing that I can't rely on taste for. I tend not to crave it. I could easily do without it. Yet I need it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals