Did you notice any digestive problems when started on levothyroxine?

FitnessMike

looking through the internet, it does seem to happen to some, have you noticed any disturbance?

it makes no sense that my digestion slowed like that, never happened to me, I never noticed it on NDT.

Also noticed a lot of white spots on my nails, speeding metabolism with t4 increased zinc demand?

I take it first thing in the morning before all the food.

Last edited:
OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

mostlylurking

looking through the internet, it does seem to happen to some, have you noticed any disturbance?

it makes no sense that my digestion slowed like that, never happened to me, I never noticed it on NDT.

Also noticed a lot of white spots on my nails, speeding metabolism with t4 increased zinc demand?

I take it first thing in the morning before all the food.
Taking supplemental thyroid hormone when you are not hypothyroid can make you hyperthyroid. Hyperthyroidism blocks thiamine function. Thiamine function is needed for the autonomic nervous system to work properly. The autonomic nervous system controls the digestive system. Maybe you are over doing the thyroid supplementation.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Taking supplemental thyroid hormone when you are not hypothyroid can make you hyperthyroid. Hyperthyroidism blocks thiamine function. Thiamine function is needed for the autonomic nervous system to work properly. The autonomic nervous system controls the digestive system. Maybe you are over doing the thyroid supplementation.
I'm very hypothyroid but I hear what you're saying, my rt3 grew from 12 to 17 when I gradually added 100mcg of t4.

My levels are still far from optimal but it could be due to rt3 and I should not increase the dose and work on my rt3 I'm thinking now.

mostlylurking

I'm very hypothyroid but I hear what you're saying, my rt3 grew from 12 to 17 when I gradually added 100mcg of t4.

My levels are still far from optimal but it could be due to rt3 and I should not increase the dose and work on my rt3 I'm thinking now.
search for rt3 in the article. Also search for selenium.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

search for rt3 in the article. Also search for selenium.
Thanks, I'll take a look.

Now I'm thinking about a potential connection between bad indigestion from any food since started thyroxine and zinc deficiency, i have white spots on every fingernail which is super unusual too, never seen it to such a degree.

Wonder if thyroxine could have ramped up zinc usage and caused indigestion as it seems to be cofactor in stomach acid.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Now I'm thinking about a potential connection between bad indigestion from any food since started thyroxine and zinc deficiency, and white spots on every fingernail which is super unusual too, never seen it to such a degree.

Wonder if thyroxine could have ramped up zinc usage and caused indigestion as it seems to be cofactor in stomach acid.
Too much thyroid hormone causes hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism blocks thiamine function. The autonomic nervous system requires thiamine to work. The autonomic nervous system controls the release of stomach acid.

Sorry I don't understand the zinc angle except that revving up the thyroid function would probably exacerbate various borderline deficiencies. Eating shellfish is the safest way to supplement trace minerals. Too much zinc can be problematic.

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Razvan

not checked recently, do you see potential correlation?
Yes, I have low cholesterol from years of taking aspirin and b3 and all of these supplements + i was doing very often low fat diet, but always been shredded so there was no reason to do that. Also diagnosed myself hypothyroid just because this forum says that everyone is hypothyroid and i wasn't in fact i had high t3 on labs. From all of this i have low cholesterol and if I take NDT that has more T4 than T3 i feel like the worst in my life for one week. Without it i feel amazing especially from stuff like K2 and other hormones, but it's not necessary. Temp during the day always 37.2.
With thyroid for exemple milk makes me cold. Without it i dont urinate as much and milk makes me warm.

Razvan

I feel the haidut style of not taking thyroid but taking stuff like K2 + preg/proge when needed is the overall best approach to not get too hyperthyroid and or tank your cholesterol, also to not risk to diagnose yourself hypothyroid without actually being.

T3 does almost nothing tangible, i still take a bit in the morning in form of porcine ndt.
When you take T4, it suppresses TSH, but often causes high rT3 which makes you more hypothyroid. And, it can lower stress hormones at the same time, which lowers metabolic rate and gut motion is slowed down.

You aren’t getting enough T3.

I feel the haidut style of not taking thyroid but taking stuff like K2 + preg/proge when needed is the overall best approach to not get too hyperthyroid and or tank your cholesterol, also to not risk to diagnose yourself hypothyroid without actually being.

Well it’s fine if you don’t need it. But if you are waking at 97F and you aren’t warm enough and your heart rate is 50 at rest, you need to take thyroid.

mostlylurking

You may also find this article of interest:
-paste-

Availability of abundant thiamine determines efficiency of thermogenic activation in human neck area derived adipocytes​

Brown/beige adipocytes express uncoupling protein-1 (UCP1) that enables them to dissipate energy as heat. Systematic activation of this process can alleviate obesity. Human brown adipose tissues are interspersed in distinct anatomical regions including deep neck. We found that UCP1 enriched adipocytes differentiated from precursors of this depot highly expressed ThTr2 transporter of thiamine and consumed thiamine during thermogenic activation of these adipocytes by cAMP which mimics adrenergic stimulation. Inhibition of ThTr2 led to lower thiamine consumption with decreased proton leak respiration reflecting reduced uncoupling. In the absence of thiamine, cAMP-induced uncoupling was diminished but restored by thiamine addition reaching the highest levels at thiamine concentrations larger than present in human blood plasma. Thiamine is converted to thiamine pyrophosphate (TPP) in cells; the addition of TPP to permeabilized adipocytes increased uncoupling fueled by TPP-dependent pyruvate dehydrogenase. ThTr2 inhibition also hampered cAMP-dependent induction of UCP1, PGC1a, and other browning marker genes, and thermogenic induction of these genes was potentiated by thiamine in a concentration-dependent manner. Our study reveals the importance of amply supplied thiamine during thermogenic activation in human adipocytes which provides TPP for TPP-dependent enzymes not fully saturated with this cofactor and by potentiating the induction of thermogenic genes.
From all of this i have low cholesterol and if I take NDT that has more T4 than T3 i feel like the worst in my life for one week.
Ray Peat warned that addressing low cholesterol before supplementing any thyroid is really important. The body uses cholesterol to make the protective substances like pregnenolone, progesterone, testosterone. If you try to rev the engine with thyroid and have no material available to work with (cholesterol) you will make your health worse.

Razvan

You may also find this article of interest:
-paste-

Availability of abundant thiamine determines efficiency of thermogenic activation in human neck area derived adipocytes​

Brown/beige adipocytes express uncoupling protein-1 (UCP1) that enables them to dissipate energy as heat. Systematic activation of this process can alleviate obesity. Human brown adipose tissues are interspersed in distinct anatomical regions including deep neck. We found that UCP1 enriched adipocytes differentiated from precursors of this depot highly expressed ThTr2 transporter of thiamine and consumed thiamine during thermogenic activation of these adipocytes by cAMP which mimics adrenergic stimulation. Inhibition of ThTr2 led to lower thiamine consumption with decreased proton leak respiration reflecting reduced uncoupling. In the absence of thiamine, cAMP-induced uncoupling was diminished but restored by thiamine addition reaching the highest levels at thiamine concentrations larger than present in human blood plasma. Thiamine is converted to thiamine pyrophosphate (TPP) in cells; the addition of TPP to permeabilized adipocytes increased uncoupling fueled by TPP-dependent pyruvate dehydrogenase. ThTr2 inhibition also hampered cAMP-dependent induction of UCP1, PGC1a, and other browning marker genes, and thermogenic induction of these genes was potentiated by thiamine in a concentration-dependent manner. Our study reveals the importance of amply supplied thiamine during thermogenic activation in human adipocytes which provides TPP for TPP-dependent enzymes not fully saturated with this cofactor and by potentiating the induction of thermogenic genes.

Ray Peat warned that addressing low cholesterol before supplementing any thyroid is really important. The body uses cholesterol to make the protective substances like pregnenolone, progesterone, testosterone. If you try to rev the engine with thyroid and have no material available to work with (cholesterol) you will make your health worse.

Yes, but I think high thyroid people have normal-lower cholesterol combined with high t3 and high t4 on lab test.
If thyroid uses the cholesterol of course will be lower. There is no way people with high cholesterol can be high thyroid.

Razvan

Well it’s fine if you don’t need it. But if you are waking at 97F and you aren’t warm enough and your heart rate is 50 at rest, you need to take thyroid.
High T3, T4 on lab tests, warm and sweating and heart rate from 70 to 90.
Some people have adapted low temperature even tho their thyroid is working fine.
Humans work best in a 24-25 degrees celsius temperature around them.
Me and other people saw very good benefits from wearing multiple layer of clothes to reset the temperature.

Razvan

If the cholesterol is lower its impossible to take thyroid and the reason for low cholesterol must be found, can be from anemia, low protein/carb, liver problems or just good thyroid in general if you feel pretty good and dont have all the other problems so in that case you dont need thyroid. But if your thyroid is still slow with low cholesterol you need to resolve the cholesterol problem and then of course maybe take thyroid.

High T3, T4 on lab tests, warm and sweating and heart rate from 70 to 90.
Some people have adapted low temperature even tho their thyroid is working fine.
Humans work best in a 24-25 degrees celsius temperature around them.
Me and other people saw very good benefits from wearing multiple layer of clothes to reset the temperature.

good for you. I’ve done that extensively. Didn’t work for me.

High T3 — T3 isn’t really testable on a blood test. T4 doesn’t mean much. If you are warm and your HR is 70 To 90, not sure what you mean by humans working best at 24-25 degrees. I couldn’t disagree more. But if it is working for you, then great!

Razvan

good for you. I’ve done that extensively. Didn’t work for me.

High T3 — T3 isn’t really testable on a blood test. T4 doesn’t mean much. If you are warm and your HR is 70 To 90, not sure what you mean by humans working best at 24-25 degrees. I couldn’t disagree more. But if it is working for you, then great!
I meant around them, it should be very warm thats why I suggested multiple layer of clothes because in colder climates and or winter you need to simulate warmness from the wheater with maybe multiple layers of clothes.
Of course you are not going to do that in a very warm climate.

Happy holidays hamster!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals