Dave Asprey On Vegetable Oil

x-ray peat

I listened through the video. Though they said vegetable oil is obviously bad they did say that the body needs PUFAs for the brain, cell membranes, synapses etc. If this is the case, is the quest for zero PUFA intake overkill? Maybe we just need to not have straight PUFA but its ok to eat PUFA when its combined with saturated fat. I am thinking specifically about peoples concern about the PUFAs in coconut oil and RP's advice that hydrogenated co may be better.

Tenacity

I listened through the video. Though they said vegetable oil is obviously bad they did say that the body needs PUFAs for the brain, cell membranes, synapses etc. If this is the case, is the quest for zero PUFA intake overkill? Maybe we just need to not have straight PUFA but its ok to eat PUFA when its combined with saturated fat. I am thinking specifically about peoples concern about the PUFAs in coconut oil and RP's advice that hydrogenated co may be better.

Zero PUFA intake is overkill, mainly because it's not possible unless you eat wholly artificial foods. Foods with no PUFA in them whatsoever simply do not seem to exist in nature.

I think Peat makes it very clear that PUFA is toxic, regardless of the amount ingested.

OP
johnwester130

johnwester130

Peat says things like cook pig skin in coconut oil to balance the PUFA. cook eggs in coconut oil to balance the pufa.

Balance is key. not perfectionism. What has hydrogenated coconut oil got to do with it ?

Drareg

How come nobody spotted the eyebrow hair?

I now see low eyebrow hair as a sign to back away slowly from this human,mania resides within and it will come to the surface at some point.

x-ray peat

Zero PUFA intake is overkill, mainly because it's not possible unless you eat wholly artificial foods. Foods with no PUFA in them whatsoever simply do not seem to exist in nature.

I think Peat makes it very clear that PUFA is toxic, regardless of the amount ingested.
Peat says things like cook pig skin in coconut oil to balance the PUFA. cook eggs in coconut oil to balance the pufa.

Balance is key. not perfectionism. What has hydrogenated coconut oil got to do with it ?
I agree that 100% PUFA free is impossible. My point is that it may not even be preferable. If the body requires PUFAs then maybe we shouldn't go to such extremes to try to avoid them or go on supposed PUFA depletion fasts.

Hydrogenated coconut oil is an example of this black and white thinking. Coconut oil has about 1o% PUFA in it. The idea of using hydrogenated CO is to remove this small amount of PUFA. Another example is that RP cautions against too much olive oil because it has a small amount of PUFA in it. Seems like overkill to me.

OP
johnwester130

johnwester130

Hydrogenated cococonut oil does seem to be dogmatic and religious and perfectionist.

However, if I could get it, I would.

Tenacity

Hydrogenated coconut oil is an example of this black and white thinking. Coconut oil has about 1o% PUFA in it. The idea of using hydrogenated CO is to remove this small amount of PUFA. Another example is that RP cautions against too much olive oil because it has a small amount of PUFA in it. Seems like overkill to me.

I don't know enough about PUFA to say whether or not it is required in small amounts. I will say though that what is 'overkill' will depend on personal philosophy more than anything. Ultimately we must come back to ask ourselves why we care about this information in the first place.

DaveFoster

I agree that 100% PUFA free is impossible. My point is that it may not even be preferable. If the body requires PUFAs then maybe we shouldn't go to such extremes to try to avoid them or go on supposed PUFA depletion fasts.

No, because your body manufactures its own unsaturated omega-9 fat, mead acid, and it can do so from carbohydrate. Mead acid also has an anti-inflammatory role in the body, unlike unsaturated fats, which have strictly pro-inflammatory roles (the pro-inflammatory role; they are the precursors to the inflammatory eicosanoids), so it's theoretically optimal to have no PUFA intake, in the same way as it's theoretical to have a sterile intestine, to have zero atherosclerotic plaque, demyelination, DNA damage, and so on.

pepsi

Dave Asprey is a winner because he improved his health and he looks happy.

Peater Piper

Just curious, where was it confirmed both Asprey & Sisson did TRT?
I'm pretty sure Sisson and TRT are being grabbed from this:

Mark Sisson says training is no guarantee of health.

Saying he does TRT is a little out of context, as he was saying supplemental testosterone would be one way to alleviate the damage done from too much endurance training for someone that refuses to stop. Doesn't mean he doesn't use it, of course, but he wasn't admitting to it.

No clue about Asprey.

Regina

Asprey is 43 and, imo, doesn't look good for the age. His face looks a bit saggy and wrinkly, and his body isn't very toned. I was watching him interview that keto researcher who is buff af Dominic D'Agostino and Dave was like "I've been working out too" and made a muscle with his biceps and it looked limp and pasty.

Bonus point for self-experimentation, point subtraction for making stuff up about his coffee and other brands and their aflatoxin content. My overall assessment is that Asprey is doing the David Wolfe thing, trying to fit into a niche online to get a big following and sell products. I won't hate on the guy, but he isn't a serious mind in health and is at best a popularizer of questionable ideas.

I hope I don't look worse than him in 10 years or else I'll feel pretty silly.
He's 43?!?!? Poor child. I train with a lot of people around his age. Very fibrotic, scant eyebrows, rigid views, joints wrapped up, do some other endurance training to 'stay in shape' for aikido. Definitely not hating on the Asprey guy. But definitely not listening to him.

CoolTweetPete

Yes, I think the point is to avoid things that are high in PUFA. Zero PUFA is nearly impossible to pursue if one is actually following Peat's advice about occasional consumption of eggs, oysters, liver, ice cream, etc.

CoolTweetPete

I didn't know he was on thyroid @encerent where did you hear that?

He spoke with a very smart Thyroid expert Dr Alan Christianson a couple years back. After a year of Peat I went back to see what I could learn. He had some interesting insights that echo Dr Peat.

Dave told him he keeps some time release T3 on hand in case he gets sick. Listened to and read Dave for years but never else heard it mentioned.

LukeL

@coolpetetweet I came to Peat from Asprey - he definitely thinks outside the box. I can't imagine how many things he is on - I know he loves nicotine as a "nootropic" as well

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals