ELI5 [dangers Of Vegetable Oils]

tara

Ta. Will watch soon. Looks like Matt Stone - I read a bit of his writing, but not watched much of his video.

Last edited by a moderator:

haidut

Forum Supporter
waldenpond said:
post 95822 I know this isn't Reddit, but I'm interested in how you would explain, for example, the dangers of vegetable oils to a very young person who wouldn't understand scientific terms.

I pick vegetable oils because they seem to be, more than any other substance, anathema to Ray Peat. But it would also be interesting to hear your simplest explanations of other features of Ray Peat's dietary guidance.

Most plants' goal is to have as many of their seeds spread as far as possible. Thus, plants often encapsulate seeds in appetizing wrapper to entice organisms to ingest the seeds. At the same time the seeds contain substances that would inhibit the ability of this organism to digest (destroy) those seeds. One of the most commonly used substances by the plants are the oils found in the seeds. Seed oils happen to be a powerful suppressor of both digestive and metabolic activity (the two are closely related). Most vegetable oils sold on the market are extracted from seeds (sunflower, cottonseed, canola, rapeseed, soybean, peanut, etc), and as such are likely to suppress both metabolism and digestion. In addition, many of the seeds contain toxic substances based on the well-known poison cyanide to further discourage organisms from attacking/eating the seeds. (Pro)anthocyanidins and some of the most common cyanide-derived poisons found in virtually all seeds.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proanthoc ... gnificance
As a general rule, the seeds of a plant contain the most powerful toxins and should be avoided as food unless there is nothing else available. In contrast, olive oil and coconut oil are extracted from the actual fruit and not from seeds. I guess another distinction is that both olive and coconut oil are actually fruit oils and not vegetable oils. The fruit is typically meant to be eaten as a means of spreading the seeds and usually contains beneficial substances like sugars and pro-metabolic oils.
The vegetable plant, as opposed to the seeds, is usually less toxic when eaten but it is still very difficult to digest (most plants are mostly cellulose and water) and it is usually not very calorie-dense. Given our large brains and daily caloric demands, it just does not seem likely that vegetables (and derivative oils) are the food we are supposed to eat the most.
Does that make sense?

moss

haidut said:
post 99129
waldenpond said:
post 95822 I know this isn't Reddit, but I'm interested in how you would explain, for example, the dangers of vegetable oils to a very young person who wouldn't understand scientific terms.

I pick vegetable oils because they seem to be, more than any other substance, anathema to Ray Peat. But it would also be interesting to hear your simplest explanations of other features of Ray Peat's dietary guidance.

Most plants' goal is to have as many of their seeds spread as far as possible. This means that the plant does what it can to protect those seeds from pesky organisms that try to eat those seeds. So, as Peat also said, the seeds contain (and are often enveloped with as well) substances that would either discourage an organism to eat them, or would inhibit the ability of this organism to digest (destroy) those seeds. One of the most commonly used substances by the plants are the oils found in the seeds. Seed oils happen to be a powerful suppressor of both digestive and metabolic activity (the two are closely related). Most vegetable oils sold on the market are extracted from seeds (sunflower, cottonseed, canola, rapeseed, soybean, peanut, etc), and as such are likely to suppress both metabolism and digestion. In addition, many of the seeds contain toxic substances based on the well-known poison cyanide to further discourage organisms from attacking/eating the seeds. (Pro)anthocyanidins and some of the most common cyanide-derived poisons found in virtually all seeds.
As a general rule, the seeds of a plant contain the most powerful toxins and should be avoided as food unless there is nothing else available. In contrast, olive oil and coconut oil are extracted from the actual fruit and not from seeds. I guess another distinction is that both olive and coconut oil are actually fruit oils and not vegetable oils. The fruit is typically meant to be eaten as a means of spreading the seeds and usually contains beneficial substances like sugars and pro-metabolic oils.
The vegetable plant, as opposed to the seeds, is usually less toxic when eaten but it is still very difficult to digest (most plants are mostly cellulose and water) and it is usually not very calorie-dense. Given our large brains and daily caloric demands, it just does not seem likely that vegetables (and derivative oils) are the food we are supposed to eat the most.
Does that make sense?

Makes sense and waldenpond this may also be of interest to you.

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/vegetables.shtml

OP
M

member 2106

haidut said:
post 99129
waldenpond said:

Most plants' goal is to have as many of their seeds spread as far as possible. Thus, plants often encapsulate seeds in appetizing wrapper to entice organisms to ingest the seeds. At the same time the seeds contain substances that would inhibit the ability of this organism to digest (destroy) those seeds. One of the most commonly used substances by the plants are the oils found in the seeds. Seed oils happen to be a powerful suppressor of both digestive and metabolic activity (the two are closely related). Most vegetable oils sold on the market are extracted from seeds (sunflower, cottonseed, canola, rapeseed, soybean, peanut, etc), and as such are likely to suppress both metabolism and digestion. In addition, many of the seeds contain toxic substances based on the well-known poison cyanide to further discourage organisms from attacking/eating the seeds. (Pro)anthocyanidins and some of the most common cyanide-derived poisons found in virtually all seeds.
Does that make sense?

Thanks, that makes an awful lot of sense. Much appreciated.

OP
M

member 2106

Giraffe said:
post 95910
waldenpond said:
What is this thread actually about? Do you want to have things explained in simple terms? Or do you want to explain it to a five-year-old?

I wouldn't discuss the health impact of certain foods with small children... unless the kid is allergic or something... You can provide the child with healthy food. No need to risk orthorexia.

I am the 5-year-old in question. Except I'm actually 27, but sometimes feel like a child when it comes to grasping scientific articles. This discussion really helped though!

Luann

I don't think this is a smart way to go. Some people like the taste of veg oil even if the majority of people on this forum do not. You could be undermining your position by building it on an unstable subjective foundation before the real meat and potatoes discussion even starts.

Taste and intuition isn't always right. Some people love peanut butter out of the jar, for example.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals