Arachidonic Acid / Prostacyclin

BigChad

[moderator edit: separated from Vitamin B-6]

To Charlie,
I know this is an old post, but dermatitis is a classic sign of low arachidonic acid/prostacyclin. Theoretically, B6 would help increase AA and prostacyclin, but it doesn't help much. Chicken fat is the best source of arachidonic acid/prostacyclin, and would probably clear up your dermatitis. I know Ray Peat doesn't approve of eating chicken fat, but you might want to research this issue if you still have dermatitis. Dietary arachidonic acid, like in a rich chicken soup, is actually anti-inflammatory, as opposed to cellular arachidonic acid, which participates in the inflammatory response to free radicals, like those caused by unmetabolized vegetable oils. I think the key is to completely avoid vegetable oils. Deficiency of n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids is mainly responsible for atopic dermatitis-like pruritic skin inflammation in special diet-fed hairl... - PubMed - NCBI

@haidut What I'm wondering is if arachidonic acid would be beneficial if trying to maximize muscle growth? I heard any anti inflammatory substances should not be taken anytime close to pre or post workout, since they can inhibit the inflammation and swelling response in the muscle tissue, which is needed to grow more muscle. Would arachidonic acid taken post workout maximize the inflammatory response, and thus help maximize muscle growth post workout?

Korven

https://brinkzone.com/arachidonic-acid-ara-part-1-a-bad-fatty-acid/ This site is all about using arachidonic acid to build muscle. It also is very important for brain health, especially if you're Northern European, because we can't produce enough arachidonic acid from plant fats.

Very interesting... might be one out of several reasons why I failed so miserably on a vegan diet.

Being scandinavian I feel like 3 years without red meat and 2 years strict vegan was enough to cause some serious impairment to my cognitive capacity/abilities, which I have just now started to recover from. Particularly speech fluency was negatively impacted for me

Sugar, red meat, eggs and dairy (mostly yogurt) have been key components in getting back my brain function. Maybe increased dietary AA has something to do with this even though it isn't looked favourably upon from a peaty view

Wonder how the coming generation with vegan children will fare... Not well I reckon

BigChad

Very interesting... might be one out of several reasons why I failed so miserably on a vegan diet.

Being scandinavian I feel like 3 years without red meat and 2 years strict vegan was enough to cause some serious impairment to my cognitive capacity/abilities, which I have just now started to recover from. Particularly speech fluency was negatively impacted for me

Sugar, red meat, eggs and dairy (mostly yogurt) have been key components in getting back my brain function. Maybe increased dietary AA has something to do with this even though it isn't looked favourably upon from a peaty view

Wonder how the coming generation with vegan children will fare... Not well I reckon

what kind of yogurt do you use, and why not milk?

OP
S

Soup Lady

how many grams per day. what supplement do you use for it
I take Element Nutraceuticals, 350 mg., but not regularly any more, just after I stopped being a vegetarian-to recover. But, there's a whole muscle building protocol they have at various body building sites for arachidonic acid, which use a lot more at a time. It's supposed to be effective, but I've never tried it.

redsun

Its more likely the lack of choline, B12 (needed to make Acetylcholine along with B1 and B5) and therefore lack of acetylcholine that was the cause of the cognitivie impairment. Acetylcholine is especially important for verbal fluency and speech.

Korven

what kind of yogurt do you use, and why not milk?

I use yogurt as my main calcium source as it is the only form of dairy doesn't cause any acne for me.

From many attempts to make milk work it usually ends up in new breakouts, even quality raw milk which I can go and get from a farm with grass fed cows a few minutes from where I live.

I'd love to drink milk as it's super nutritious, anabolic and an easy way to get in calories but alas... Maybe I'll tolerate it better in the future when I'm healthier.

For now I buy greek yogurt (strained) to hopefully minimize lactic acid content. There's no noticeable sour taste and mixed with heaping amounts of raw honey it tastes great to me.

BigChad

I use yogurt as my main calcium source as it is the only form of dairy doesn't cause any acne for me.

From many attempts to make milk work it usually ends up in new breakouts, even quality raw milk which I can go and get from a farm with grass fed cows a few minutes from where I live.

I'd love to drink milk as it's super nutritious, anabolic and an easy way to get in calories but alas... Maybe I'll tolerate it better in the future when I'm healthier.

For now I buy greek yogurt (strained) to hopefully minimize lactic acid content. There's no noticeable sour taste and mixed with heaping amounts of raw honey it tastes great to me.

how much raw honey do you mix with the yogurt. Is it non fat greek yogurt

Korven

Its more likely the lack of choline, B12 (needed to make Acetylcholine along with B1 and B5) and therefore lack of acetylcholine that was the cause of the cognitivie impairment. Acetylcholine is especially important for verbal fluency and speech.

Yeah that does make sense, especially considering that eggs was the food I craved the most as a vegan.

Btw I find your posts on here to be really helpful and have led me to my current carnivore/sugar/potato diet which seems to work really well!

Korven

how much raw honey do you mix with the yogurt. Is it non fat greek yogurt

Typically about 30-50 g honey, more when I have it post workout. The brand I buy is 6% fat so I don't have a ton of it per day, maybe a cup or two

OP
S

Soup Lady

Cow's milk causes
Yeah that does make sense, especially considering that eggs was the food I craved the most as a vegan.

Btw I find your posts on here to be really helpful and have led me to my current carnivore/sugar/potato diet which seems to work really well!
Your diet sounds very interesting-could you elaborate a bit?

redsun

That's good to hear, thank you. And yes, a modified carnivore diet with sugars and potatoes sounds perfect, no surprise you do well on it.

Korven

Your diet sounds very interesting-could you elaborate a bit?

Well so I did the whole journey from being vegan (and feeling awful) to carnivore (also feeling awful) to a peaty diet with lots of milk but still not feeling optimal.

With some trial and error and a few iterations I've now discovered a peaty diet that seems to work for me. Several things have improved healthwise but most notably is that I have cleared up my skin after 10 years of acne.

While I personally didn't feel good at all on a carnivore diet, there's something to be said about the health benefits of that way of eating (tons of testimonials here Meat Heals). I'm thinking it has to do with the reduced endotoxin load so I'm trying to emulate that but include some carbs and other nutrients that are lacking on a carnivore diet.

Most of my calories come from red meat, potatoes, eggs, orange juice, and raw honey. For calcium I include some yogurt but not a lot. 1-2 carrots per day and lingonberries as that seems to help with digestion.

I attached an example from cronometer of one day of eating though I would prefer to bump my calories up to 3.5-4 k.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 10.08.46.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-20 at 10.08.46.png
    28.5 KB · Views: 19
OP
S

Soup Lady

Well so I did the whole journey from being vegan (and feeling awful) to carnivore (also feeling awful) to a peaty diet with lots of milk but still not feeling optimal.

With some trial and error and a few iterations I've now discovered a peaty diet that seems to work for me. Several things have improved healthwise but most notably is that I have cleared up my skin after 10 years of acne.

While I personally didn't feel good at all on a carnivore diet, there's something to be said about the health benefits of that way of eating (tons of testimonials here Meat Heals). I'm thinking it has to do with the reduced endotoxin load so I'm trying to emulate that but include some carbs and other nutrients that are lacking on a carnivore diet.

Most of my calories come from red meat, potatoes, eggs, orange juice, and raw honey. For calcium I include some yogurt but not a lot. 1-2 carrots per day and lingonberries as that seems to help with digestion.

I attached an example from cronometer of one day of eating though I would prefer to bump my calories up to 3.5-4 k.
Wow-I really like your diet! It's sort of close to my own diet, that I figured out after lots of research. I eat sourdough rye bread instead of potatoes, and raw goat cheese and goat milk, and sauerkraut instead of OJ, because I'm sensitive to salicylates, but this diet might work well too, as it's still very low in sals. Thanks! I put up a very long powerpoint summarizing my diet research on a facebook page-higher carb keto diet-if you're interested.

Korven

Wow-I really like your diet! It's sort of close to my own diet, that I figured out after lots of research. I eat sourdough rye bread instead of potatoes, and raw goat cheese and goat milk, and sauerkraut instead of OJ, because I'm sensitive to salicylates, but this diet might work well too, as it's still very low in sals. Thanks! I put up a very long powerpoint summarizing my diet research on a facebook page-higher carb keto diet-if you're interested.

Sounds like a really well balanced diet!

Rye bread has been on my list of things to try out, it seems to be one of the best grains for human consumption and has some anti-serotonin effects Decreased Serotonin In Healthy Adults After Consumption Of Wholegrain Rye: PubMed 2019. If I could find a good source of goats milk that would be interesting to try out also...

Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely check out that facebook page later :)

OP
S

Soup Lady

Sounds like a really well balanced diet!

Rye bread has been on my list of things to try out, it seems to be one of the best grains for human consumption and has some anti-serotonin effects Decreased Serotonin In Healthy Adults After Consumption Of Wholegrain Rye: PubMed 2019. If I could find a good source of goats milk that would be interesting to try out also...

Thanks for sharing, I'll definitely check out that facebook page later :)
That was interesting about the serotonin. Too much serotonin lowers dopamine, in general that is, so maybe rye bread would help with addictions by raising the dopamine everyone seems to be looking for in drugs. One thing happened since we started eating it, and a little more meat too. My husband had a worrying colonoscopy, so he had to come in again after 2 years. This time, it was nearly perfect! So, I'm pretty sold on it.