Dave Asprey On Vegetable Oil

Agent207

Another thing I noted when I played the video, aside from the hairline recession, is a fuller face by the likely use of dermal fillers. Also very evident eyebrow lift.

Fructose gives you wrinkles he says; but looks like not the bulletproof diet nor the high caffeine and nootropic use are the antiaging panacea either.

I do agree that low pufa amount is overall beneficial, higher than most people here thinks. They have cons but some pros too, and the net effect will depend on a balanced intake.

Last edited:
OP
johnwester130

johnwester130

Is he getting ready to give up paleo and fat burning ?

\maybe bit by bit he will say some people need sugar, and maybe omega 3 is harmful.

He does say in the video some people got into trouble using fish oil, and that his body fat is 1.23:1 in favour of omega 3, which means he is taking a lot of fish oil.

But if the oil goes rancid in the body, how could any test detect omega 3 in the blood ?

Also, he takes a lot of MCT oil, wouldn't that dilute his omega 3 and 6 ?

schultz

Hydrogenated coconut oil is an example of this black and white thinking. Coconut oil has about 1o% PUFA in it. The idea of using hydrogenated CO is to remove this small amount of PUFA. Another example is that RP cautions against too much olive oil because it has a small amount of PUFA in it. Seems like overkill to me.

Coconut oil has 2-3% PUFA. Olive oil is around 10%

jyb

Is he getting ready to give up paleo and fat burning ?

Technically, MCT and loads of meat is not very good for oxidising or even supplying fat (in fact it prevents it).

PS. On the positive side, I noticed his website encourages consumption of quality, non-homogenised dairy and I quote "Eat as little polyunsaturated fat as you can".

Last edited:

Waynish

As if Dave Asprey were some kind of authority and not someone whose primarily concerned with his image...

OP
johnwester130

johnwester130

@johnwester130 Asprey does not have a bald spot on the back of his head - I've met him numerous times

oh yes he does

Untitled.png

x-ray peat

Coconut oil has 2-3% PUFA. Olive oil is around 10%
yes thanks. I was thinking that CO was 90% saturated and the rest PUFA but forgot about the monounsaturated fat content. But that only furthers my point that buying hydrogenated CO because of the 2-3% PUFA is a little OCD.

Last edited:

x-ray peat

No, because your body manufactures its own unsaturated omega-9 fat, mead acid, and it can do so from carbohydrate. Mead acid also has an anti-inflammatory role in the body, unlike unsaturated fats, which have strictly pro-inflammatory roles (the pro-inflammatory role; they are the precursors to the inflammatory eicosanoids), so it's theoretically optimal to have no PUFA intake, in the same way as it's theoretical to have a sterile intestine, to have zero atherosclerotic plaque, demyelination, DNA damage, and so on.
ok but it seems that as long as you consume enough saturated fat with the small amount of PUFAs you may get within normal food you would be ok. Somebody mentioned above that RP fries his pork rinds in CO for this reason.

OP
johnwester130

johnwester130

yes thanks. I was thinking that CO was 90% saturated and the rest PUFA but forgot about the monounsaturated fat content. But that only furthers my point that buying hydrogenated CO because of the 2-3% PUFA is a little OCD.

If the body needs PUFA like asprey says, normal coconut oil would be best.

WestCoaster

I'll mention Mark Sisson, as some have referenced him in this post. As far as I remember, he used to be a high carb endurance athlete (ironman or something like that), and it destroyed his health. He ended up switching to a paleo style diet called primal which is essentially the same thing except allows dairy for those that can tolerate it. Many people who follow his advice on the fat adapted diet have improved their health, lost weight, and pretty much eradicated inflammation within their body. Mark I believe did post his blood numbers at one time during one of his interviews and they were quite good. The amount of fat I believe that's talked about on that style eating on average is around 70% of the calories, so think of it is ketogenic or borderline keto.

Also something to keep in mind when you look at that picture of Mark that Encerent posted, he is turning 64 this year I believe, and he openly admitted in an interview last year that he was on TRT, and started it the year prior. This will obviously play a role in him keeping his shape, but he also had that shape prior to him starting TRT. His site has been around for a long while before he started TRT. This miffed a lot of people as they thought it was misleading given just how powerful Testosterone is to body composition. Then people realized he was basically 62 when he started TRT and his composition didn't change much before started. Then couple that with the fact so many people find results on the primal style eating plan. For someone to be concerned about health and fitness to start TRT in their 60's I wouldn't think is too uncommon.

Going off on a slight tangent here as to why people may have failed at paleo, primal, or keto (if they ever attempted it), whereas others succeeded. Talking about primal here which is basically paleo + dairy, is this style of eating is about as close to going keto as you're going to get without going full keto. Where people screw up at this is consuming too much protein. As mentioned earlier, I believe the macros mentioned with primal eating is around 70% fat. When people start paleo, they think meat and veggies, maybe a little fruit with nuts and seeds. When people start primal, same idea, add some milk here and there, but people seem to forget the core reason why they start this style of eating to begin with. Blood sugar and insulin control, weight loss, and inflammation, where the focal point is the amount of glucose circulating in the body and reducing it to keep insulin and blood sugar under control, which allows the "magic" to happen.

Where people seemed to have screwed up on this (me included in the past), is too much protein. Too many chicken breasts, turkey, and other low fat cuts, egg whites, you name it. Too many veggies, too much fruit, and still trying to ultimately still trying to avoid fat. So in the case of primal eating, a macro split might look like 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs. But people end up hitting the protein too hard, and may have macros of 50% protein 30% fat, and 20% carbs, even still it all being whole food. Same goes with people attempting to go ketogenic (75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs), people just think eat meat, without thought to where its coming from. They think they're going keto, but if their primary sources of protein are say chicken, roast beef, and eggs, that won't cut it. Their macros may look something like this: 60% protein, 35% fat, 5% carbs). Either way, protein is still breaking down into glucose so it's not solving the blood sugar issue, and therefore the chain reaction problems still result.

This is where I highly suspect many people here who've wrecked their metabolism trying to follow a paleo style diet went wrong. Your blood sugar never really improved because you hit the protein too hard and either attempted or inadvertently went low-fat. I'm not making assumptions here, I just suspect this is what happened, because it seems to be a commonality amongst paleo/primal/keto followers.

Another person to check out on youtube is Stephanie Person, or Stephanie keto person I think is her screen name. Even if you don't agree with what she says, shes a very vibrant and full of energy presenter, and is intriguing to watch. Her story, at this point in time, I believe she's been on strict keto for 9 years with no carb refeeds ever.

If I'm not mistaken, she also recommends eating 200-300g of fat per day (200 for women, 300 for men) I'll post a picture of her her. She's 49 or 50 years old, and she looks like shes 30.

photo.jpg

HLP

Not sure how old she is, but her hair looks very thin and possibly balding. I'm 60 this year and have incredibly thick hair albeit starting to gray. Been there and done that with Bulletproof with horrible results. Recovering now with Peat.

Fractality

Another person to check out on youtube is Stephanie Person, or Stephanie keto person I think is her screen name. Even if you don't agree with what she says, shes a very vibrant and full of energy presenter, and is intriguing to watch. Her story, at this point in time, I believe she's been on strict keto for 9 years with no carb refeeds ever.

If I'm not mistaken, she also recommends eating 200-300g of fat per day (200 for women, 300 for men) I'll post a picture of her her. She's 49 or 50 years old, and she looks like shes 30.

I think all that can be explained by her possibly taking AAS.

I'll mention Mark Sisson, as some have referenced him in this post. As far as I remember, he used to be a high carb endurance athlete (ironman or something like that), and it destroyed his health. He ended up switching to a paleo style diet called primal which is essentially the same thing except allows dairy for those that can tolerate it. Many people who follow his advice on the fat adapted diet have improved their health, lost weight, and pretty much eradicated inflammation within their body. Mark I believe did post his blood numbers at one time during one of his interviews and they were quite good. The amount of fat I believe that's talked about on that style eating on average is around 70% of the calories, so think of it is ketogenic or borderline keto.

Also something to keep in mind when you look at that picture of Mark that Encerent posted, he is turning 64 this year I believe, and he openly admitted in an interview last year that he was on TRT, and started it the year prior. This will obviously play a role in him keeping his shape, but he also had that shape prior to him starting TRT. His site has been around for a long while before he started TRT. This miffed a lot of people as they thought it was misleading given just how powerful Testosterone is to body composition. Then people realized he was basically 62 when he started TRT and his composition didn't change much before started. Then couple that with the fact so many people find results on the primal style eating plan. For someone to be concerned about health and fitness to start TRT in their 60's I wouldn't think is too uncommon.

Going off on a slight tangent here as to why people may have failed at paleo, primal, or keto (if they ever attempted it), whereas others succeeded. Talking about primal here which is basically paleo + dairy, is this style of eating is about as close to going keto as you're going to get without going full keto. Where people screw up at this is consuming too much protein. As mentioned earlier, I believe the macros mentioned with primal eating is around 70% fat. When people start paleo, they think meat and veggies, maybe a little fruit with nuts and seeds. When people start primal, same idea, add some milk here and there, but people seem to forget the core reason why they start this style of eating to begin with. Blood sugar and insulin control, weight loss, and inflammation, where the focal point is the amount of glucose circulating in the body and reducing it to keep insulin and blood sugar under control, which allows the "magic" to happen.

Where people seemed to have screwed up on this (me included in the past), is too much protein. Too many chicken breasts, turkey, and other low fat cuts, egg whites, you name it. Too many veggies, too much fruit, and still trying to ultimately still trying to avoid fat. So in the case of primal eating, a macro split might look like 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs. But people end up hitting the protein too hard, and may have macros of 50% protein 30% fat, and 20% carbs, even still it all being whole food. Same goes with people attempting to go ketogenic (75% fat, 20% protein, 5% carbs), people just think eat meat, without thought to where its coming from. They think they're going keto, but if their primary sources of protein are say chicken, roast beef, and eggs, that won't cut it. Their macros may look something like this: 60% protein, 35% fat, 5% carbs). Either way, protein is still breaking down into glucose so it's not solving the blood sugar issue, and therefore the chain reaction problems still result.

This is where I highly suspect many people here who've wrecked their metabolism trying to follow a paleo style diet went wrong. Your blood sugar never really improved because you hit the protein too hard and either attempted or inadvertently went low-fat. I'm not making assumptions here, I just suspect this is what happened, because it seems to be a commonality amongst paleo/primal/keto followers.

photo.jpg

Female pattern baldness right above her forehead?

DaveFoster

ok but it seems that as long as you consume enough saturated fat with the small amount of PUFAs you may get within normal food you would be ok. Somebody mentioned above that RP fries his pork rinds in CO for this reason.
That's the idea. The degree to which the ratio matters is proportional to the total amount of PUFA according to Dr. Peat. According to the forum member haidut, small amounts of PUFA (as in around 1.5 grams) do not seem to be that harmful. If you ate 10 grams of PUFA per day, coconut oil offers a huge benefit according to Dr. Peat, but if you eat 5 grams, then the benefit is significantly less.

x-ray peat

That's the idea. The degree to which the ratio matters is proportional to the total amount of PUFA according to Dr. Peat. According to the forum member haidut, small amounts of PUFA (as in around 1.5 grams) do not seem to be that harmful. If you ate 10 grams of PUFA per day, coconut oil offers a huge benefit according to Dr. Peat, but if you eat 5 grams, then the benefit is significantly less.
thanks.. makes sense.

ddjd

It looks like the "high state performance diet" is not working enough for bulletproofing his hair.

Argh, no dietary model will ever save us from this curse... I hex you God! for this unacceptable design!!!!

Btw, the guest has wonderful teeth and good healthful looking.
FB_IMG_1504961105742.jpg

Ella

Forum Supporter
So SAD :( Dave started out with poor health. Imagine what he would have looked like if he had not try so hard to stay healthy, then again, imagine what he would look like if he didn't mess around with all those supps & meds. He now keeps a garden, so he has learnt late in life. I doubt though, whether he has time to actually work out in his garden due to his busy- ness. The benefits come from doing the work that comes with gardening and not being under the constant pump. Follow the seasons and sun and throw away your daily schedule. The way Dave runs his life is a sure way to age faster and no supplement is going to negate this.

Muscles are deceiving as male pattern baldness in females is not a sign of strength. Females were not meant to lift elephants only babies, kindling for the fire and gatherers and harvesters of food. Also fend off violent invaders. They were not meant to look like men either. I tell my daughter this all the time (she is a personal trainer) and she hates it when I say this. She is doing it different though, focussing on women's health and hormonal balance. She has trained with all the guru's and I am happy that she has touched base with Rob Turner and learning about a bioenergetic approach. We can't do the training without addressing the low-energy, hypothyroid state that all people these days train under. Muscles are the least of our concerns when it comes to strong healthy females. That goes for males too. Makes no sense to support the growing of muscles when there is a serious lack of energy supply.

I would rather have luscious locks, a monthly cycle and be fertile and at least be able to fill out a bra. If you compare the female forms that Peat paints with this lady's; they're vastly different. Being muscle bound is not synomous with being healthy. Being female is complicted and we should not strive to be males.

Young females will become future mothers of the next generation. The health of our population is in serious ***t. We are at the precipice of no return. I personal think the situation is beyound repair because as a whole we lap up the crap which is fed to us. It is no coicidence that we are referred to as CONsumers. We have a serious problem with overpopulation and all means have been employed to stop us breeding by interferring with our fertility and damaging our offspring. This is yet another ploy in conning women into thinking that we can be just like men and even look like them.

I have no issues with women being strong (I am a huge advocate of strong women and not just physically) and previous generations of women were as strong as their men. They were never not strong. However, they also had no issues with fucundity as we see today in many of our young women and young men. The fact that men are no longer able to deferientate between healthy women and and not so healthy women is revealing. It is reassuring that there exist on this forum, people that can still recognise the signs of health.