Corn & Peas

cyclops

Never really heard Peat talk about these two.

I know he says Masa Harina is best starch, and legumes are bad, but I think peas are a bit different.

I'm sure corn and peas aren't the best things out there, but how bad are they if you like them?

managing

Nixtamilization makes all the difference with corn. So corn, bad. Tortillas, Hominy, good. You can make cornbread with masa harina and its good.

Fresh corn is a) very starchy b) full of antinutrients and c) lacks many nutrients such that replacing other food with corn is a bad idea.

No idea whether he regards peas as different from other legumes.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Fresh corn is a) very starchy b) full of antinutrients and c) lacks many nutrients such that replacing other food with corn is a bad idea.

Don't really care about A or C. I eat lots of starch and nutrient devoid foods like white rice and sugar. I also eat foods that may contain anti nutrients like vegetables, so I wonder how bad corn is really.

Last edited:
OP
cyclops

cyclops

So I guess corn isn't really that bad if you already eat lots of nutritionally empty starch like white rice (I do). Most vegetables contain anti nutrients that lessen once cooked...I'm guessing corn is somewhat similar. I never feel bad after eating it and enjoy the taste and texture. Always get non-gmo organic.

Runenight201

I’m going to experiment with eating corn as main source of carbs. I’ve been doing solely tubers and the problem with those is that they bloat my stomach too much before I can eat sufficient calories to sustain me. This leaves me with having to resort to eating more meat or fruit to make up the difference, both which can cause problems for me if over done.

Same goes for white rice, uncomfortable stomach bloating before I can get sufficient calories. This may also have to do with the texture of food. Plain rice and potatoes are very starchy? Sticky? It’s hard to describe but they don’t seem to want to slide down into my stomach easily enough, where as I think something like corn would be much easier.

The one negative of corn is the PUFA content, but I think not obtaining enough calories is a bigger con for me while eating unprocessed without added fat whole foods.

Also I don’t see corn as that nutritionally devoid. 1 cup as has 15g of protein and lots of b-vitamins. The lack of calcium certainly is a drawback, but adding some greens can offset that.

RatRancher

Sorry for reviving and old thread......
But a big issue for peas that I see is the low calcium / high phosphorus ratio. For some reason I
Am very sensitive to phosphorus.

I am looking for good safe foods i can take with me on the road,and it is frustrating and difficult.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals