What About Gluten Free Pasta/starches?

Xisca

I do eat a little wheat bread (not diagnosed coeliac)
I am diagnosed as non-coeliac, and still cannot eat gluten! Intolerance is something else than coeliac, but still has consequences.

Lurker

IIRC, the arsenic levels were highest in US rice, and lower in Asian and Indian ones. Might have something to do with those arsenic chicken feed additives we use (not sure if they're still in use)

Arsenic is naturally occurring from the earth in large parts of California. I’m not sure where it comes from in Texas or
Louisiana but the rice there seemed to be more contaminated, at least according to the Consumer Reports article.

That article was an extremely biased piece heavily influenced by the wheat industry. Their main thesis was that you should not go gluten free because of high arsenic levels in rice. Does that mean we should stop eating rice? They didn’t argue for that.

I absolutely agree that you shouldn’t “go gluten-free” but for different reasons. I would recommend to avoid wheat products but that is not the same thing. Typically a gluten-free diet is interpreted as normal SAD with GF bread, GF pasta, GF crackers, etc substitutes. I would say to avoid all that crap and just eat real food.

tara

I am diagnosed as non-coeliac, and still cannot eat gluten! Intolerance is something else than coeliac, but still has consequences.
Yes, I know one can have trouble with gluten without having diagnose coeliac. I had noticable symptoms in the past, that I don't get now from eating a bit of slow-leavened refined wheat bread. I don't eat very much, and it may be I'd be better off with none - testing it out again trades off against hunger and inconvenience.

Sunny Jack

Yes, I use gluten free pasta to make my favourite meal (homemade macaroni cheese) once a week. Flour from rice, corn and quinoa is a fairly innocent 'cheat', and any pufas in there will be swamped by the saturated fat from the cheese sauce. If starch isn't the devil but merely a slightly inferior form of carbohydrate, then this is a perfectly acceptable way to enjoy foods you like and lower stress. If you redefine Peatarian eating as your favourite foods made healthier then it is an easy diet to stick to!

x-ray peat

Im also non celiac gluten sensitive and have been gluten free for several years. As per the OPs concern about insulin sensitivity I recently saw a study that says that people eating gluten free food have a higher risk of developing diabetes. If you cant eat gluten I would think the vbest thing to do is always always have protein and fat with gluten free products to reduce the blood sugar spike.
@Xisca's suggestion to limit it (and all carbs) in the morning is a good idea to maintain energy throughout the day

Xisca

Most gluten-free food are very refined and have gums, caraghenan etc...
Just eat natural products that don't have gluten!

artist

I get gastritis whenever I consume wheat and this includes (real) sourdough bread, so I'm skeptical that the souring process completely "deactivates" the gluten.

If you can tolerate starches I would definitely eat them. Possibly experiment going without and see how you're affected. If I could tolerate starches I would be consuming them.

SOMO

I like this brand of gluten-free spaghetti:
https://www.amazon.com/Schar-Natura...pID=41XfOwzIh9L&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

61BfBu4TUtL._SX522SX522_SY348_CR,0,0,522,348_PIbundle-5,TopRight,0,0_SX522_SY348_CR,0,0,522,348_SH20_.jpg

I also make my own tomato sauce from tomato paste and organic herbs.

I've been gluten-free for over 10 years now I think and initially it was because consuming spaghetti (my favorite form of wheat) regularly was giving me GI issues and acne.

Gluten gets a bad rap, but shouldn't be an issue if you don't have compromised gut motility. I eat organic sourdough bread and organic durum wheat pasta and feel pretty good. I think the issues most people get from gluten more comes from what they are spraying on the crops (you should always buy wheat products organic)

Perry Staltic

I think the issues most people get from gluten more comes from what they are spraying on the crops (you should always buy wheat products organic)

The correlation between celiac incidence and spraying of glyphosate directly onto ripe wheat grain in order to desiccate the plant so it can be harvested is pretty strong. Yeah I'll only buy organic wheat products.

glyphosate-celiac.jpeg

The correlation between celiac incidence and spraying of glyphosate directly onto ripe wheat grain in order to desiccate the plant so it can be harvested is pretty strong. Yeah I'll only buy organic wheat products.

glyphosate-celiac.jpeg
Confirms my assumption. A lot of these people think they can't tolerate wheat not knowing it glyphosate that's causing their gut issues. They then opt for gluten free flours like almond instead, not know that's actually a much worse for both your digestion and overall health

Iron is added to every grain product where I live; flour, pasta, bread. I think it contributes to some of the issues people have
Enriched wheat products can contribute to someone getting iron overload and are a big reason why people on the standard American diet get it

meatbag

Enriched wheat products can contribute to someone getting iron overload and are a big reason why people on the standard American diet get it
Yeah, the iron is also involved in a lot of pathological issues ,especially when presented in the form used in enrichment. Richard Nikoley did an interesting overview of the issue on his site; Iron, Food Enrichment and The Theory of Everything

They enrich everything here. Rice, fruit juice - they add more industrial ascorbic acid which contains heavy metals;
Ray Peat said:
"Over the next 20 years, my own increased sensitivity to synthetic ascorbate led me to look for such reactions in others. The same people who reacted to it often reacted similarly to riboflavin and rutin, which were also made from cornstarch by oxidation. I ascribed the reaction to some industrial contaminant that they had in common, possibly the heavy metals introduced with the sulfuric acid. The heavy metal contamination of synthetic ascorbate is so great that one 500 mg tablet dissolved in a liter of water produces free radicals at a rate that would require a killing dose of x-rays to equal. The only clean and safe vitamin C now available is that in fresh fruits, meats, etc. The commercial stuff is seriously dangerous."

Now they're adding silicon dioxide (glass particles), guar gums, and carrageenan to everything; Food-junk and some mystery ailments: Fatigue, Alzheimer's, Colitis, Immunodeficiency. Carrageenan

Logan-

I usually have gluten free noodles/pasta once or twice a week. I'm diagnosed celiac and find them convenient sometimes for family meals when I need to prepare something other people will enjoy eating along with me. Most of the family meals I make include some type of starch because that's just the way people in my culture generally eat meals. I keep the starch I prepare gluten free and the meal low pufa but beyond that I don't worry about it too much.

Dave Clark

I use shiritaki rice and pasta, made from the konjac root, supposedly zero carbs, gluten, etc. I only use it as a replacement, and don't consume it on a regular basis, but it is a way to avoid grain pasta and rice: