Authentic Corn Tortillas Are Good?

cyclops

If you go to an authentic Mexican place where they hand-make corn tortillas, these are good to eat right? Best starch according to Peat? Anything to look out for? Of course not fried in bad oil.

NathanK

You are basically assured to get vegetable oil fried tortillas. The oldest most traditional spots used coconut oil, but those places are few and far between anymore.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

You are basically assured to get vegetable oil fried tortillas. The oldest most traditional spots used coconut oil, but those places are few and far between anymore.

Are they fried even if they are "soft" and used for a taco? I was not thinking of the tortillas cut and fried into crunchy chips, but when they are soft and circular and used for small tacos.

Last edited:
OP
cyclops

cyclops

just contact the restaurant and ask about their ingredients?

I don't have a particular restaurant is mind. I know many Mexican restaurants that hand-make their tortillas. They all taste pretty similar and good. I was thinking soft corn tortillas in general are not fried though. Am I wrong about that?

Herbie

Some tortillas don't have any oil or very little, I think its a safer choice than the taco shell because they are usually 20-25grams per 100g of some sort of vegetable oil.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Some tortillas don't have any oil or very little, I think its a safer choice than the taco shell because they are usually 20-25grams per 100g of some sort of vegetable oil.

Yea, I was guessing they make these soft corn tortillas and then fry them into a hard taco shell or cut them up and fry them into chips.

I was thinking that the original soft corn tortilla does not have any bad oils, but you think they could? Even before frying, you think bad oil is used just to make soft taco?

Herbie

Yea, I was guessing they make these soft corn tortillas and then fry them into a hard taco shell or cut them up and fry them into chips.

I was thinking that the original soft corn tortilla does not have any bad oils, but you think they could? Even before frying, you think bad oil is used just to make soft taco?

Yeah I think thats correct. I only know from reading the labels when buying them at a store, most of the soft corn tortilla don't have any oil added but some do have a very small amount but nothing like the amounts in the hard taco shells.

NathanK

@cyclops yeah, unless they are by the book traditional, then it's just hard to find anything not made with some pufa. Ive searched locally in central Texas too and dont bother looking anymore. Restaurants are individual and you would just have to ask. Good luck.

If youre in the states, I did find some tortilla chips made by Hola Nola that are made in coconut oil if that helps. I put it in a corn chip thread earlier this year.

Rafe

I just started making my own & stopped eating Tex-Mex in restaurants:sad. Well, except Chuy's once a year, but then I'd even go for a flour tortilla hoping it's made with lard. Or a store-front taqueria. Virtually all restaurants will be using commercial canola (butter flavored!). I haven't found any in stores that don't have seed oils or added wheat gluten to make them soft.

I haven't even bought a tortilla press yet so when I make them they come out with a lot of coconut oil. Kind of like a pancake. It was tricky to figure out the right flour at first, but this is what you want if you do it. Just add water. Salt then to corny goodness.
Maseca brand nixtamalized corn flour. Green label.

LUH 3417

I eat these tortillas which are just corn and lime. They are delicious. Pretty sure they ship them also.

Our tortilla-making processes begins by selecting the best quality corn. The corn we use is organic, non-GMO, planted and harvested by environmentally-conscious farmers in Illinois and brought to New York City on a weekly basis. The process involves five key steps:
Cooking
Cooking the corn in water and lime is the most important step the tortilla-making process because of its impact on the quality of the finished product. This process is called "nixtamalization" and has been practiced in Meso America for thousands of years. After cooking it, the corn sits from 8-12 hours to allow full absorption of the lime and water into the corn.
Cleaning
The nixtamalized corn is placed in a special washer which enables the cleaning process. The corn is washed at different rates, depending on the desired consistency.
Grinding
The cleaned corn is placed into a stone grinder and carefully monitored by trained staff to ensure that the ground corn is fine, moist and possess a perfect texture. The ground corn is called masa.

https://www.tortillerianixtamal.com/how-we-make-tortillas

supercoolguy

why does it say contain sesame under the ingredients? If it contains something, isn't that an ingredient? But they sound great. thanks.

INGREDIENTS
Organic Sprouted Corn, Filtered Water, Sea Salt, Lime.

Contains: Sesame
Great question...
1704264924305.jpeg
Happy 2024

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals