Causes of Hypochlorhydria

Apple

Update:
I haven’t done the heildelgerg or baking soda test but I think I’m good now. Not exceptional, but at the very least average. I can consistently eat large portions of red meat and not feel bloated, heavy for hours on end. TTFD had a big impact on my stomach acid, the very day I started taking it. A B complex containing Pyridoxal-5-phosphate+ additional p-5-p also helped. If I go without my histidine hcl for a few days, while also being heavily stressed things go downhill fast.
I thought I improved my acid secretion as I can handle more milk and can eat lots of meat , even compared to people with normal acid ,provided i don't mix food with water and keep starches low... I always eat more than other people at table but very lean at that.
I did soda test this morning again, no burping, not even after 15 min...so nothing changed for me , I'm still at zero gastirc acid.

I discovered it at 17 yo. Stomach acid test: The patient is injected with gastrin, a hormone that stimulates acid production. Then a tube is inserted into the stomach through the mouth to take a sample for testing.
Though I think it started much earlier , maybe when I was 4- 5 yo after removal tonsils or after some nasty vaccine, who the heck knows.

Betaine HCL helps a lot, but I can't take it continuosly , need to make breaks after couple weeks
Half of lemon juice with water before or after meal is very helpful and cheap, clears my tongue quckly , improves digestion but also requires breaks once in a while
Thyroid supplementation didn't do me anything apart from liver pain
Salt: small amounts (to taste) are ok, if more - it inflames stomach and causes pain.
Couple tymes tried to eradicate H Pylori...The only positive effect was clearing my tongue as from antibiotics. I think H Pylori issue is overexagerated.
Anyway, lemon juice(citric acid) and yogurt are very effective at keeping H Pylori at bay.

OP
U

ursidae

Maybe the baking soda test is inaccurate.
So you had the proper test in a hospital at 17 years old and it showed low levels?
Why do you need breaks from betaine hcl?

Apple

Maybe the baking soda test is inaccurate.
So you had the proper test in a hospital at 17 years old and it showed low levels?
Why do you need breaks from betaine hcl?
Burping should happen within 3-5 min
After 15 min of no burping I took a solution of lemon juice and immediately burped, so soda was still sitting there untouched. Considering lemon juice is much weaker than gastric acid...

I had the test in 2 different hospitals , when I was 17 and 24 yo, it showed zero acid - achlorhydria.
There was a period when I was taking betaine hcl continually every day , maybe for 2 years. Surely it boosts digestion, clears tongue, I can eat more food with it. But eventually I got disappointed with it, I still couldn't gain weight at all... then I did a break (no betaine hcl for several years) and my weight was still the same...underweight. Teeth didn't become healthier either despite supplementing vitamins and calcium

But I think betaine hcl helps to correct some related issues.
Without proper acidity in stomach, gallbladder is not sufficiently stilmulated to release bile -> without enough bile food quckly passes through small intestine--> pancreas don't produce enough ferments due to lack of bile --> food quickly passes to big intestine ,not being digested/absorbed and becomes food for all kinds of bacteria. It is a cascade of issues which starts from stomach.

When you first start betaine hcl , you liver/gallbladder may need a couple days to get adjusted (may feel a pain in liver area), because bile ducts became narrow after years of underperforming or maybe it is just spasm due to unusual flush of acid in the beginning.

Sometimes i was getting a bad burning sensation in esophagus, so I took breaks from betaine hcl for a couple weeks or months to restore esophagus.
Another option is to take betaine hcl not regularly but only with fatty and protein-rich foods when you really need to spur digestion.

Last edited:
OP
U

ursidae

Burping should happen within 3-5 min
After 15 min of no burping I took a solution of lemon juice and immediately burped, so soda was still sitting there untouched. Considering lemon juice is much weaker than gastric acid...

I had the test in 2 different hospitals , when I was 17 and 24 yo, it showed zero acid - achlorhydria.
There was a period when I was taking betaine hcl continually every day , maybe for 2 years. Surely it boosts digestion, clears tongue, I can eat more food with it. But eventually I got disappointed with it, I still couldn't gain weight at all... then I did a break (no betaine hcl for several years) and my weight was still the same...underweight. Teeth didn't become healthier either despite supplementing vitamins and calcium

But I think betaine hcl helps to correct some related issues.
Without proper acidity in stomach, gallbladder is not sufficiently stilmulated to release bile -> without enough bile food quckly passes through small intestine--> pancreas don't produce enough ferments due to lack of bile --> food quickly passes to big intestine ,not being digested/absorbed and becomes food for all kinds of bacteria. It is a cascade of issues which starts from stomach.

When you first start betaine hcl , you liver/gallbladder may need a couple days to get adjusted (may feel a pain in liver area), because bile ducts became narrow after years of underperforming or maybe it is just spasm due to unusual flush of acid in the beginning.

Sometimes i was getting a bad burning sensation in esophagus, so I took breaks from betaine hcl for a couple weeks or months to restore esophagus.
Another option is to take betaine hcl not regularly but only with fatty and protein-rich foods when you really need to spur digestion.

yes I know this problem pretty much sabotages the entire body.
The question is How are we even alive?? We’re basically low protein vegans even if we eat meat but with the added effects of putrefaction. Without breaking down the protein, absorbing the zinc b vitamins chromium but digesting all the carbs this sets one up for metabolic issues and inability to handle the carbohydrates. I showed insulin resistance at a young age. Did you have pernicious anemia on tests?

I’m underweight too and betaine hcl injures my digestive tract. Acne is the symptom that made me look into this and the fact that my skin stopped repairing properly from the inflammation, leaving scars which wouldn’t be surprising if I’m not getting any protein for repair. If my skin isn’t being repaired my insides aren’t either. This is really bad and I can see it lowering my life expectancy

Last edited:

Apple

yes I know this problem pretty much sabotages the entire body.
The question is How are we even alive?? We’re basically low protein vegans even if we eat meat but with the added effects of putrefaction. Without breaking down the protein, absorbing the zinc b vitamins chromium but digesting all the carbs this sets one up for metabolic issues and inability to handle the carbohydrates. I showed insulin resistance at a young age. Did you have pernicious anemia on tests?

I’m underweight too and betaine hcl injures my digestive tract. Acne is the symptom that made me look into this and the fact that my skin stopped repairing properly from the inflammation, leaving scars which wouldn’t be surprising if I’m not getting any protein for repair. If my skin isn’t being repaired my insides aren’t either. This is really bad and I can see it lowering my life expectancy
200 mg betaine hcl(with pepsin) was a good starting point for me. Better to dissolve in half glass of water and drink through the straw. Drinking capsules is easier but capsules burn/injure stomach.
I did Vitamin B12 Injection, not sure if it did anything to me.
I may ask my doctor about test on pernicious anemia next time.

Did you do real test (in hospital) on stomach acid?
My skin problems go away when I eliminate eggs/liver/beans and reduce gluten.

Last edited:

Motif

200 mg betaine hcl(with pepsin) was a good starting point for me. Better to dissolve in half glass of water and drink through the straw. Drinking capsules is easier but capsules burn/injure stomach.
I did Vitamin B12 Injection, not sure if it did anything to me.
I may ask my doctor about test on pernicious anemia next time.

Did you do real test (in hospital) on stomach acid?
My skin problems go away when I eliminate eggs/liver/beans and reduce gluten.

ok those capsules hurt the stomach ? Would I feel it if this would happen, so I can go lower or stop with taking it?

Apple

ok those capsules hurt the stomach ? Would I feel it if this would happen, so I can go lower or stop with taking it?
If you overdo on betaine hcl you may have a sour taste in the mouth and feel uncomfortable in the stomach (burning sensation), good sign is a warm feeling in the stomach.

OP
U

ursidae

I haven’t done a real test. Basing this off the fact that one cap of betaine hcl doesn’t produce a warming sensation (even 15 dont sometimes), my skin repair, quality of my nails and my hair indicating that I’m not getting any protein, failing baking soda test, I’m low on dopamine histamine acetylcholine everything, have to supplement all the b vitamins in large quantities including B12, need 60+ mg of zinc to not get white spots on nails, I could go on. I did have an endoscopy and colonoscopy and the report says they found a normal amount of gastric juice in my stomach. However the quantity can be normal but the pH not. There were other problems further down my digestive tract due to infection from undercooked meat, which happens in the first place when stomach acid is inadequate. However before the infection I had moments when I could feel my stomach was functioning and after that stay in the hospital my stomach was never the same. I Suspect due to the IV antibiotic They gave me causing me beri beri

I don’t eat gluten or beans. Liver triggers multiple skin issues in me badly, more than 2 yolks a week are a problem too. Dairy is the worst trigger by far. Making red meat a staple protein is too ambitious when dealing with hypochlorhydria. So I eat white fish and pray to absorb something

I find if you have acidosis and high cortisol supplementing betaine hcl exacerbates the problem and you need tons of potassium and bicarbonate to compensate. I’ve tried dissolving it and it still injured my lining.

Motif

If you overdo on betaine hcl you may have a sour taste in the mouth and feel uncomfortable in the stomach (burning sensation), good sign is a warm feeling in the stomach.
I never felt something like that and was up to six per meal

OP
U

ursidae

Started off with clear skin.

4 days of consuming organic pasture raised goat’s dairy. I have to say though it helped my teeth sensitivity and colour.

A2147FC6-15EB-41CC-886F-9EDB30970803.jpeg

Apple

we are all different. I'm pretty sensitive if something goes wrong in my stomach. I quickly feel pain. Last time I bought capsules of 500 mg betaine hcl (beacuse they cost the same as 250 mg) and the burning sensation was too strong. And I was lazy to dissolve them in water or split into two parts.

betaine hcl solves my skin problems no matter what I eat...gluten, eggs, milk.

Apple

betaine hcl doesn’t produce a warming sensation
I think you better start with real test on stomach acid in hospital.
If you don't get warming sensation you may have enough acidity already...and those pills don't do anything to you...because you just add a bit extra acid to your already present acid.
I was diagnosed with achlorhydria by doctors (2 times).

Motif

we are all different. I'm pretty sensitive if something goes wrong in my stomach. I quickly feel pain. Last time I bought capsules of 500 mg betaine hcl (beacuse they cost the same as 250 mg) and the burning sensation was too strong. And I was lazy to dissolve them in water or split into two parts.

I think you better start with real test on stomach acid in hospital.
If you don't get warming sensation you may have enough acidity already...and those pills don't do anything to you...because you just add a bit extra acid to your already present acid.
I was diagnosed with achlorhydria by doctors (2 times).
Didn’t even know this was possible to test. Would really like to do that

Apple

Didn’t even know this was possible to test. Would really like to do that
I did this test old fashioned way. It is pretty reliable.
This test consists of having tube inserted into your stomach through the esophagus in order to suck out any existing stomach fluid. You will also need an injection of the hormone gastrin into the body in order to stimulate the stomach cells to release acid. Then they measure pH of that fluid.

But there are more modern tests now.

Motif

I did this test old fashioned way. It is pretty reliable.
This test consists of having tube inserted into your stomach through the esophagus in order to suck out any existing stomach fluid. You will also need an injection of the hormone gastrin into the body in order to stimulate the stomach cells to release acid. Then they measure pH of that fluid.

But there are more modern tests now.

i Wonder why no doctors ever did this test for me when they tried to figure out why my copper levels don’t go up.

Motif

Btw I started hcl betaine and bitter drops yesterday and first I thought it might help (still do), but I i think it’s too much , cause I had a big meal 30 minuted ago and again took 3 hcl betaine tablets + bitter drops and now I have a runny nose and coughing.

i took the bitters after the meal and the hcl when I was done with the meal 75%.

maybe I took it too late or it was simply too much

Motif

I just checked my capsules and one capsule has 650 mg alone.
i took three to each meal. I have no idea how to tell how much I need. No problems with this amount

Apple

I just checked my capsules and one capsule has 650 mg alone.
i took three to each meal. I have no idea how to tell how much I need. No problems with this amount
I have or had zero acidity, 200 mg had always worked for me if I didn't overeat. 400 mg was enough for meals heavy on fats and proteins. Those pills were designed to be dissolved in water.
Last time I bought capsules 500 mg and they were burning my stomach after couple weeks (1 capsule at meal)
Now I don't have access for those pills but more than 500 - 600 mg at once would be overkill for me.
I haven't been taking them for 5- 6 years now
Since recently I just juice half of lemon, mix it with water and it helps. Not the same but it clears my tongue and improves digestion.
White wine before meal is good too.
And coffee after meal.

Why do you need to supplement the hcl ?
I prefer minimum supplements now because they don't work long term and digestion can always be corrected by choosing right foods. I used to supplement with lots of vitamins/minerals and they were useless in general . My only concern is providing enough calcium

Last edited:

Motif

I have or had zero acidity, 200 mg had always worked for me if I didn't overeat. 400 mg was enough for meals heavy on fats and proteins. Those pills were designed to be dissolved in water.
Last time I bought capsules 500 mg and they were burning my stomach after couple weeks (1 capsule at meal)
Now I don't have access for those pills but more than 500 - 600 mg at once would be overkill for me.
I haven't been taking them for 5- 6 years now
Since recently I just juice half of lemon, mix it with water and it helps. Not the same but it clears my tongue and improves digestion.
White wine before meal is good too.
And coffee after meal.

Why do you need to supplement the hcl ?
I prefer minimum supplements now because they don't work long term and digestion can always be corrected by choosing right foods. I used to supplement with lots of vitamins/minerals and they were useless in general . My only concern is providing enough calcium

i think an indicator to see if I had enough is coughing and a runny nose after I took them. Like silent reflux symptoms. I really will go low on it, cause I don’t even know if I need it. I just think I do cause my copper levels don’t go up no matter what i do and low stomach acid could be cause.

I’m pretty sure I have low bile though cause I have Gilbert syndrome , cobstipation and taking high dosed ox bile helps with this.

have you ever tried bitters? Your opinion on it?

Apple

i think an indicator to see if I had enough is coughing and a runny nose after I took them. Like silent reflux symptoms. I really will go low on it, cause I don’t even know if I need it. I just think I do cause my copper levels don’t go up no matter what i do and low stomach acid could be cause.

I’m pretty sure I have low bile though cause I have Gilbert syndrome , cobstipation and taking high dosed ox bile helps with this.

have you ever tried bitters? Your opinion on it?
Bitters are good ( 10-15 minutes before meals)...same as coffee stimulating gallbladder.
There are different paths for minerals to be absorbed, no matter how much acidity you have. I don't know much about copper.
I have low bile too (as a consequence of low acid) but I manage constipation by wheat bran and occasionally cascara

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom