Causes of Hypochlorhydria

ursidae

If stomach acid production is insufficient, most efforts at getting better are in vain. I’d like to a list of all the possible causes of this. I don’t have sources listed, this is me making assumptions and going off by memory. I have not yet fixed my problem.

Nutrient Deficiency:
iodine
Chloride
Zinc
B3
B1
• exocrine pancreatic insufficiency/enteritis causing limited breakdown/absorption of food, causing deficiencies despite adequate dietary intake

infection
•H. Pylori
Gastritis

Hypothyroidism

medication:
proton pump inhibitors
H2 blockers
Antacids
Antibiotic use

habits:
Chronic stress and poor posture causing sympathetic dominance
Brain inflammation causing poor vagal tone/reduced vagal activation-the vagal nerve which mediates the parasympathetic nervous system is also involved in enzyme and bile production
Lack of chewing, mastication stimulates gastric acid production
Listening to music/multitasking/staring at screens while eating
Too much water before meals
Dehydration

tests
Heidelberg pH test- most reliable
Baking soda test
Betaine HCL test- in my opinion, the flaw is that the sensation of burning is likely due to damaged gastric mucosa

Remedies:
ACV
Betaine HCL
The above will make things worse if you have gastritis

thyroid supplementation
salt

Lemon water, celery juice
ginger, dandelion, peppermint
Salted, bitter leafy green salads

for vagal tone: singing, humming, chanting; deep diaphragm breathing; sarvangasana, provoking yourself to slightly choke, gargling; L.rhamnosus

Glutathione supplementation after proton pump inhibitor use

Last edited:

theotokos

Thanks. This is very good and useful information. I suffer from hypochloridia from time to time. I haven't tried many remedies, but what seems to help me personally is increasing my salt intake, chewing and eating slower (I'm one of those people who inhale their foods... working on it), not drinking water (which I tend to overdo as well), bone broth daily, lots of dairy but avoiding moldy cheeses (such as Brie or Camembert), and breathing exercises. I have noticed that when I stress, this gets waaaaaaay worse.

I know I'm in a Peat forum, but strategic fasting helps sometimes.

I'd like to have some thyroid around for when this happens, there's always something that triggers this issue and it takes me between 1-3 weeks to recover.

OP
U

ursidae

Thanks. This is very good and useful information. I suffer from hypochloridia from time to time. I haven't tried many remedies, but what seems to help me personally is increasing my salt intake, chewing and eating slower (I'm one of those people who inhale their foods... working on it), not drinking water (which I tend to overdo as well), bone broth daily, lots of dairy but avoiding moldy cheeses (such as Brie or Camembert), and breathing exercises. I have noticed that when I stress, this gets waaaaaaay worse.

I know I'm in a Peat forum, but strategic fasting helps sometimes.

I'd like to have some thyroid around for when this happens, there's always something that triggers this issue and it takes me between 1-3 weeks to recover.

Well the last time I felt like I had any stomach acid going on was 7 months ago and absolutely nothing has helped. I just gave a healthy person who wasn’t even eating anything a betaine HCL capsule and they felt burning going up their throat 5 minutes later. I’ve done the backing soda test on them before and they had strong burping a minute later. I downed six of them already and no heat whatsoever. I’ve taken over 15 and NOTHING happened. Did the baking soda test today- took 40 minutes to belch

I really don’t know what to do at this point. Maybe my parietal cells are permanently damaged from an infection. I know I’m not producing intrinsic factor either because I’m getting hundreds percents over the RDI from diet and still need a high dose sublingual supplement to prevent my limbs from tingling

OP
U

ursidae

Oh yeah I actually felt some heat after I drank a giant cup of apple cider vinegar mixed with a ton of betaine hcl capsules, mixed in with an extremely bitter liver cleanse tea, the juice of one lemon, camu camu powder, a bunch of ginger and a ton of salt. The downside of that drink is that it caused me physical damage and inflammation that lasted for days after that, so obviously I can’t do that on a daily or even weekly basis!

redsun

Low histamine will have low stomach acid and often many food intolerances (poor digestion of foods).

Nomane Euger

To share my experience,when I binge eat on honey up to 500 grammes in one go to the point where iam an alcohol factory,and I don’t even
Want to eat anything anymore as I know I will have indigestion,that can last for a week,if i eat grass fed beef or veal cook slightly on the outside as it is ho I enjoy it,in the very first meal I stop burping,and my digestion goes back to normal,it does not do it with lamb,so it must be the b6 and my ground beef I salted with either redmond real salt or an Australian salt,I took meticulous notes and it’s always the beef or veal that solved the problem +possibly the addition of grass fed grass finished lamb/beef suet that obliterate any burping and indigestion

Nomane Euger

R
Low histamine will have low stomach acid and often many food intolerances (poor digestion of foods).
redsun as many things can lower histamines such as vitamine C,copper,sugar,selenium,vitamine A...etc,do you try to not consume certains foods together like let’s say 3 yellow kiwis rich in vitamine c with meat as it could lower your histamine and impact your meat digestion?or insignificant?is histamine essential for meat digestion or is there others things that can mediate efficiently stomach acid with out histamine?

redsun

What is this caused by and how is it fixed

Low histidine intake, and/or depletion of histidine/histamine due to chronic inflammatory conditions. Zinc can be depleted as well but histidine is the precursor for histamine. Histidine will deplete zinc when taken alone.

Zinc + histidine can be taken. The CA enzyme which is necessary for H+ ions (which increases stomach acidity) is comprised of zinc and histidine. Also increased histamine levels will bind to H2 receptors to increase acid secretion. Its important to make sure to get plenty of electrolytes, especially sodium and chloride, which is necessary as well.

Lollipop2

@ursidae

I used to suffer from extreme upper GI problems-much of what you have listed on the OP. I have struggled for 5 - 6 years, but I can say I am mainly free of any problems as of today.

I started with your ideas which never helped much and finally nailed the 4 main helps that started to turn my suffering around.

The four are:

Thyroid - I use NDT Tyromax and when I bumped up from one grain to two grains WoW healing came fast.

When I introduced d-Limonene my condition started turning around. I started this before the bump in thyroid. I used for like two or three weeks 1 capsule daily. Then used as needed. I keep a package on hand. I learned about this from @Inaut but never took it as much as he did. I never needed to.

Nature's Way Heartburn Free... Amazon product ASIN B0009ET7EC

I have used these digestive enzymes for years - definitely helped. After I bumped up my thyroid I found I do not even need them very much any more.

Enzymedica, Digest Basic, Digestive Enzymes, 180 Capsules (FFP) Amazon product ASIN B00L2LPB3C

A bit unpopular on this forum but this particular Aloe juice has been refined to extract the toxins out. It has helped with inflammation. I take as I feel I need. One bottle sits in my fridge. It tastes like water. I use a few ounces on an emp

George's Aloe Vera Supplement, 64 Fluid Ounce Amazon product ASIN B00B7V5Z7E
Best of luck to you.

OP
U

ursidae

Low histidine intake, and/or depletion of histidine/histamine due to chronic inflammatory conditions. Zinc can be depleted as well but histidine is the precursor for histamine. Histidine will deplete zinc when taken alone.

Zinc + histidine can be taken. The CA enzyme which is necessary for H+ ions (which increases stomach acidity) is comprised of zinc and histidine. Also increased histamine levels will bind to H2 receptors to increase acid secretion. Its important to make sure to get plenty of electrolytes, especially sodium and chloride, which is necessary as well.
What amount of histidine?

OP
U

ursidae

I went through my chronometer, I get on average 3.8 g of histidine from food, but how much of that is absorbed- who knows

lampofred

Histidine is not good for the heart. I think thyroid and vitamin A (eggs, chicken liver, but not cow liver because the high copper content antagonizes histamine) are the only safe ways to raise histamine. Even eggs and chicken liver aren't ideal in the long-run due to the high iron/phosphate content, so probably thyroid itself is only fully safe thing. Coffee may slightly help since it increases thyroid, and maybe pro-thyroid fruits.

Low stomach acid is related to a weak immune system, so anything that supports the immune system (like aspirin) may also help.

I think Peat would say vitamin D is just as important as thyroid, that even though it will lower stomach acid initially it will raise it in the long-run, but I personally cannot figure out how to make vitamin D work.

I also thinking living in nature, in alignment with natural rhythms, maintaining regular routines, getting sunlight, doing things which are grounding, organic, and lower chronic hyperventilation, and as far as possible avoiding unnatural eccentric things like excess screen use might help. But that's easier said than done.

redsun

I went through my chronometer, I get on average 3.8 g of histidine from food, but how much of that is absorbed- who knows

If your digestion of proteins is poor, its hard to say how much you absorb. Zinc activates B6 to PLP to make histamine. Histidine has other functions in the body as a component of many proteins and enzymes. When histamine levels are high enough it will activate H2 receptors, gastric acid secretion will be strong and digestion much improved.

Nomane Euger

W
Histidine is not good for the heart. I think thyroid and vitamin A (eggs, chicken liver, but not cow liver because the high copper content antagonizes histamine) are the only safe ways to raise histamine. Even eggs and chicken liver aren't ideal in the long-run due to the high iron/phosphate content, so probably thyroid itself is only fully safe thing. Coffee may slightly help since it increases thyroid, and maybe pro-thyroid fruits.

Low stomach acid is related to a weak immune system, so anything that supports the immune system (like aspirin) may also help.

I think Peat would say vitamin D is just as important as thyroid, that even though it will lower stomach acid initially it will raise it in the long-run, but I personally cannot figure out how to make vitamin D work.

I also thinking living in nature, in alignment with natural rhythms, maintaining regular routines, getting sunlight, doing things which are grounding, organic, and lower chronic hyperventilation, and as far as possible avoiding unnatural eccentric things like excess screen use might help. But that's easier said than done.
why would vitamine D lower stomach acid in the short term and increase it in the long term?

lampofred

W

why would vitamine D lower stomach acid in the short term and increase it in the long term?

I think the theory is that immediately it lowers histamine and thus lowers stomach acid but in the long-run if combined with high calcium to phosphate ratio, it re-balances your system to increase baseline thyroid activity, leading to increased stomach acid.

Nomane Euger

I think the theory is that immediately it lowers histamine and thus lowers stomach acid but in the long-run if combined with high calcium to phosphate ratio, it re-balances your system to increase baseline thyroid activity, leading to increased stomach acid.
Okay

OP
U

ursidae

While I’m waiting for my histidine and zinc carnosine to arrive, I got betaine hcl by a different brand. Just found out that Now uses Aspergillus mold to source their pepsin so a switch was inevitable. With the new brand it takes me 13 tablets (around 8.5 grams) to feel an effect but I now do get the feeling of heat unlike with other brands. There is a bit of a delay in the warming so I got two cups of tap water and pH strips. I put the tablet in one of them and after 10 minutes the colour indicators of the strips show a difference in acidity (6.75 and 4.5) even though the tablet hasn’t dissolved. I actually had to grind it up a little with a spoon to release some of the particles but it still hasn’t dissolved. It didn’t dissolve in a glass of pure vinegar either. The painful conclusion I must draw is that the brand matters a lot and I’ll be spending a lot more on this pricy supp

Nebula

If your digestion of proteins is poor, its hard to say how much you absorb. Zinc activates B6 to PLP to make histamine. Histidine has other functions in the body as a component of many proteins and enzymes. When histamine levels are high enough it will activate H2 receptors, gastric acid secretion will be strong and digestion much improved.
So I’ve been taking 2 grams of histidine per day along with zinc and its inducing sleep after a decent sized meal. Did you experience this? Could the gastric acid release be improving absorption of protein much more than I am used to and causing hypoglycemia? Or maybe just a cortisol drop from better digestion. Overall this seems like a positive development. Stomach acid does seem it has increased.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom