Carrots are not always orange...

Xisca

Carrotene seems to be a problem (though I do not understand which problem....) Carrotene gives carrots an orange color. But not all carrots are orange. Do white or violet carrots also contain carrotene?
I have those rare colors, and I thought I would favor the orange ones, thinking carrotene was good! So, should I on the contrary favor the white and purple carrots in the garden? I know they also exist in yellow color.
I also have white sweet potatoes, and was looking for the orange one, and also the purple one.... I wonder what is the purple pigment in veggies: is it the same as the valued one in blue berries?

YuraCZ

Xisca said:
Carrotene seems to be a problem (though I do not understand which problem....) Carrotene gives carrots an orange color. But not all carrots are orange. Do white or violet carrots also contain carrotene?
I have those rare colors, and I thought I would favor the orange ones, thinking carrotene was good! So, should I on the contrary favor the white and purple carrots in the garden? I know they also exist in yellow color.
I also have white sweet potatoes, and was looking for the orange one, and also the purple one.... I wonder what is the purple pigment in veggies: is it the same as the valued one in blue berries?
You really don't wanna eat too much beta carotene, because our body cannot properly use this precursor for vitA and what is even more worse this beta carotene inhibit absorption vitA from the animal source which is for our bodies best usable form of vitA(retinol in liver, eggs, milk fat etc..) It is something like vit K1 from the plants and vit K2 from the animals(except natto). Ray Peat don't have too much good knowledge in this. In one radio show he was talking about kale as good source of vit K. But vit K from plants is K1 and we can't effectively convert this type(only animals like cows can ) to usable type for us which is K2. Richest source of K2 is fermented soy product from Japan called natto( it is long half life type mk7) and another rich sources of k2 are grass fed cow milk fat, fre range eggs, some cheeses like brie etc.. And vit K supplements are mostly made from Natto. For example I make natto myself. It is easy, cheap and 30-40g every day is what you need. This amount contain around 600 mcg of vit K2...
How make natto at home

about vitK...

Last edited by a moderator:

aguilaroja

Xisca said:
Carrotene seems to be a problem .... But not all carrots are orange...

In Dr. Peat's view, carotene has adverse effects of an unsaturated oil (see excerpt below).

It's probably a good thing for ecological diversity that heirloom varieties of carrot, including purple, white, and yellow, are more widely available recently. Purple carrots contain anthocyanins, yellow carrots contain xanthophylls, red carrots contain lycopene. The white variety has its appearance due to lack of pigment. Perhaps others know off-hand Dr. Peat's specific views about these pigments/"nutrients" in quantity.

In the kitchen, anyways, all varieties appear to have abundant carrot fiber, that when taken raw & grated Dr. Peat has written is good for relieving gut endotoxin.

See, for instance:
http://www.sensationalcolor.com/color-f ... arrots-746

viewtopic.php?t=1226
Chapter 11, from FROM PMS to MENOPAUSE: Female Hormones in Context

"Besides fasting, or chronic protein deficiency, the common causes of hypothyroidism are excessive stress or “aerobic” (i.e., anaerobic) exercise, and diets containing beans, lentils, nuts, unsaturated fats (including carotene), and undercooked broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, or mustard greens. Many health conscious people become hypothyroid with a synergistic program of undercooked vegetables, legumes instead of animal protein, oils instead of butter, carotene instead of vitamin A, and breathless exercise instead of a stimulating life."

see also,

http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/1 ... hyroidism/

K1 is converted both in the gut and in germ-free rats...

OP
Xisca

Xisca

So, do you think that any carrot of another colour than orange is carroten free?

Because this means I must right away look for some new seeds!

I had one I thought violet, yes for the skin, but the inside is orange....

Wilfrid

In the " 20 questions with Ray Peat" topic, Ray has quoted a study about purple carrot's specific anti-inflammatory properties:

Purple carrot (Daucus carota L.) polyacetylenes decrease lipopolysaccharide-induced expression of inflammatory proteins in macrophage and endothelial cells.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4565

XPlus

Bamboo shoots shouldn't contain carotene.

I do have some hardly noticeable orange pigment on my calluses.
Probably from eating too much unrinsed shredded carrots few months back.
Vitmain B12 is said to be involved in the conversion of carotene into vitamin A.
I'm trying to get my hands on some pure Methylcobalamin to experiment with.

SQu

I am interested in a cheaper vitamin k but I'm not a good candidate for soy. Maybe not even fermented. Unfortunately. I'd love to know about carotene free fibre though! I'd be prepared togrow the relevant carrot!

YuraCZ

sueq said:
I'd be interested in trying that natto recipe. Vitamin k is so expensive otherwise! Thanks for the link! Just checking though that the fermentation does get rid of the estrogen in soy?
Even anti-soy person as Dr.Mercola eats every day small amount for K2.. ;) Btw it's good Let rest in the refrigerator for at least a week. It will be better digestible and richer in K2.. In the refrigerator the fermentation process slows down, but will continue. Taste and smell is more and more pronounced. I ferment about 350g of soybeans at one time + 50g of natto from the store(starter). After 24hours of fermentation and week in fridge I can start eat. Natto can remain in the refrigerator up to 6 months But I recommend keep it there maximum 30-40 days + 7 days of ripe. Because that smell and taste after 3-4 weeks becomes insanely intense. :)) And for fermentation proces I use heating pads for reptiles. Most important thing in fermentation process is to keep temp steady around 100 degrees F. Not more not less and in dark place. Under towel or something.. Every day I have 2 good quality eggs and 1L of full fat grass fed cow milk. This and 20-40g natto has plenty highly bioavailable vitK2... Really I do not plan to start buying a supplement with vitamin K. It's expensive and those tablets are full of crap. I love my natto with eggs and white rice in the morning. :) Oh and Btw one tablespoon of natto don't give you some estrogen side effect LOL... Don't be silly :rofl

YuraCZ

sueq said:
Ok thanks!
By the way, you mentioned the estrogen in soy. In milk is estrogen as well. So if you drink 2L of milk every day. It is much bigger amount of estrogen than in 20-40g of natto. Estrogen is everywhere. You can't avoid it.. But you can keep your body healthy and clean so then you can the estrogen efficiently eliminate... ;)

Amazoniac

If I'm not wrong, the vit K2 that we obtain from foods like liver, dairy and eggs is mainly mk4, which doesn't remain active for that long in our organism. So eating natto can be a great deal, since it's mostly mk7.

YuraCZ said:
sueq said:
I'd be interested in trying that natto recipe. Vitamin k is so expensive otherwise! Thanks for the link! Just checking though that the fermentation does get rid of the estrogen in soy?
Even anti-soy person as Dr.Mercola eats every day small amount for K2.. ;) Btw it's good Let rest in the refrigerator for at least a week. It will be better digestible and richer in K2.. In the refrigerator the fermentation process slows down, but will continue. Taste and smell is more and more pronounced. I ferment about 350g of soybeans at one time + 50g of natto from the store(starter). After 24hours of fermentation and week in fridge I can start eat. Natto can remain in the refrigerator up to 6 months But I recommend keep it there maximum 30-40 days + 7 days of ripe. Because that smell and taste after 3-4 weeks becomes insanely intense. :)) And for fermentation proces I use heating pads for reptiles. Most important thing in fermentation process is to keep temp steady around 100 degrees F. Not more not less and in dark place. Under towel or something.. Every day I have 2 good quality eggs and 1L of full fat grass fed cow milk. This and 20-40g natto has plenty highly bioavailable vitK2... Really I do not plan to start buying a supplement with vitamin K. It's expensive and those tablets are full of crap. I love my natto with eggs and white rice in the morning. :) Oh and Btw one tablespoon of natto don't give you some estrogen side effect LOL... Don't be silly :rofl

I was once interesting in trying out natto but gave up when I couldn't find reliable sources for the starter culture. I didn't want to use commercial natto (those that come in a plastic package with a spice to mix) from asian markets because they didn't seem reliable, even considering that the more you make, the purer it gets; but still..
How did you start yours?
Maybe I'll order from Cultures-for-Health, but I'm not sure if using just that strain that they offer is enough to produce the full benefits of natto.

By the way, the stickyness of natto seems to help with blood sugar regulation. Its viscosity + the eggs that you use + an acid will greatly affect the digestion of white rice.

YuraCZ

Amazoniac said:
I was once interesting in trying out natto but gave up when I couldn't find reliable sources for the starter culture. I didn't want to use commercial natto (those that come in a plastic package with a spice to mix) from asian markets because they didn't seem reliable, even considering that the more you make, the purer it gets; but still..
How did you start yours?
Maybe I'll order from Cultures-for-Health, but I'm not sure if using just that strain that they offer is enough to produce the full benefits of natto.

By the way, the stickyness of natto seems to help with blood sugar regulation. Its viscosity + the eggs that you use + an acid will greatly affect the digestion of white rice.
A frozen natto from the Japan store is absolutely ok. But I use as a starter natto made here in Czech Rep. by home company.
" even considering that the more you make, the purer it gets"
and this is absolutely false. Bacteria reproduce when he has good conditions and what to eat.. But just for case. I don't use as a starter my natto, but always new.. Btw you can buy original bacteria called nattomoto. In USA it cant be problem find on the internet
This is my natto 3 weeks old. It taste like aged cheese. People around hate that smell. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,078

Amazoniac

YuraCZ said:
Amazoniac said:
How did you start yours?

A frozen natto from the Japan store is absolutely ok. But I use as a starter natto made here in Czech Rep. by home company.
" even considering that the more you make, the purer it gets"
and this is absolutely false. Bacteria reproduce when he has good conditions and what to eat.. But just for case. I don't use as a starter my natto, but always new.. Btw you can buy original bacteria called nattomoto. In USA it cant be problem find on the internet
This is my natto 3 weeks old. It taste like aged cheese. People around hate that smell. :mrgreen:

Thank you for the reply!
It's not false because I was reffering to other possible additives in commercial natto. Just like when people use commercial yogurt as a starter for homemade, the more you make, the clear it gets from the additives contained in them.
Cultures for Health sells from Nattomoto..
I was going to ask about taste and smell. Haha!

YuraCZ

Amazoniac said:
Thank you for the reply!
It's not false because I was reffering to other possible additives in commercial natto. Just like when people use commercial yogurt as a starter for homemade, the more you make, the clear it gets from the additives contained in them.
Cultures for Health sells from Nattomoto..
I was going to ask about taste and smell. Haha!
I do not know about any.. All additives are aside in the spices.. In natto is nothing but soybeans and culture
for example..

Last edited by a moderator:

YuraCZ

Amazoniac said:
When I went to the asian market, a long time ago, the natto that they sold contained some additives, apart from the spices..
It is possible, but definitely for the most part these additives are only in spices. I was also disappointed when I buy natto for the first time in the Japan store after reading the label, but then I opened the package and I found that these additives are not mixed with natto together. They are not premixed together because not everybody likes these spices...

Attachments

• IMG_0860[1].JPG
    IMG_0860[1].JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 929

Amazoniac

In those brands that I found here they were listed separately, all of them. But I don't know where they came from, they weren't local though.
You mentioned that you don't reuse the strains to ferment a new one, right? But I thought it was possible to dillute them, discarting the beans and use only the liquid to start over. Is this impracticable?
Just out of curiosity, when you don't eat it, you crave it?
Maybe someday I'll try to make it..

YuraCZ

Amazoniac said:
In those brands that I found here they were listed separately, all of them. But I don't know where they came from, they weren't local though.
You mentioned that you don't reuse the strains to ferment a new one, right? But I thought it was possible to dillute them, discarting the beans and use only the liquid to start over. Is this impracticable?
Just out of curiosity, when you don't eat it, you crave it?
Maybe someday I'll try to make it..
Just for the case of contamination with some unwanted bacteria is better to use new starter. No I don't crave natto, because it is such a small portion.. (1 tablespoon)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals