Carrots are not always orange...

OP
Xisca

Xisca

Amazoniac said:
Leafy greens contain significant amounts of it, yet they are not orange..

sueq said:
I'd love to know about carotene free fibre though! I'd be prepared togrow the relevant carrot!

Yes I also want to grow the right carrot!
And I guess the white one can be good, may be other colors too.
Are the other mentionned pigments ok to eat? They are anti-oxydents, and some say that it is not so great to eat to much anti-oxydants...

Amazoniac, you are right, but I think that the green color HIDES the carotene.
Same for spiruline, it is high in carotene, and you only see the chlorophile.

Carotene is unlikely to be hidden by mild colors (this is just a guess...)

pboy

wouldn't natto be the like antithesis of peat eating? I mean it violates nearly every principle of nutrition he talks about

YuraCZ

pboy said:
wouldn't natto be the like antithesis of peat eating? I mean it violates nearly every principle of nutrition he talks about
Who cares :?: I eat ONLY ONE TABLESPOON PER DAY. It is not like another ordinary cooked beans or legumes or whatever. Natto is really easily digestible...

OP
Xisca

Xisca

out of topic, but.... I would like to make natto with cajanus cajan seeds because I grow them!
And for me, finding a starter is really an issue, and I would have to keep it over and over if I can find it once, may be when I go to main Spain...

Amazoniac

pboy said:

Yes. And it's why I never made much effort to try it. But soaking + pressure cooking + fermenting neutralizes most toxins..
If I try it someday it'll be just to know how it is. But we can't deny it's a very good source of vit K2; and if I'm not wrong, most supplements containing mk7 are derived from natto, so you take what's most interesting from it and leave the rest.

YuraCZ

Amazoniac said:
pboy said:

Yes. And it's why I never made much effort to try it. But soaking + pressure cooking + fermenting neutralizes most toxins..
If I try it someday it'll be just to know how it is. But we can't deny it's a very good source of vit K2; and if I'm not wrong, most supplements containing mk7 are derived from natto, so you take what's most interesting from it and leave the rest.
Well if you are 100% strict in Peat style of diet = zero starches, around 4g of PUFA, just only dairy, fruits, juice, shellfish, sugars etc.. Then I can see natto as a problem. But if you still continue eating here and there absolutely no no Peat foods like grains, alcohol, commercial poultry, pork and some other junk full of chemicals and PUFA. Then it is absolutely ridiculous to talk about natto and how is bad.. :roll:

tara

YuraCZ said:
Amazoniac said:
pboy said:

Well if you are 100% strict in Peat style of diet = zero starches, around 4g of PUFA, just only dairy, fruits, juice, shellfish, sugars etc.. Then I can see natto as a problem. But if you still continue eating here and there absolutely no no Peat foods like grains, alcohol, commercial poultry, pork and some other junk full of chemicals and PUFA. Then it is absolutely ridiculous to talk about natto and how is bad.. :roll:
I'm not trying to talk you out of eating natto if it's working for you - maybe the K2 and the pleasure of eating it make up for the downsides for you. But you do know that quite a few people here strictly avoid any chocolate that contains soy lecithin? I would guess that a large block of chocolate would have less soy in it than a tablespoon of natto.

YuraCZ

tara said:
I'm not trying to talk you out of eating natto if it's working for you - maybe the K2 and the pleasure of eating it make up for the downsides for you. But you do know that quite a few people here strictly avoid any chocolate that contains soy lecithin? I would guess that a large block of chocolate would have less soy in it than a tablespoon of natto.
and what about sunflower lecithin? Is there any pufa? Is here any comment from Peat about soy/sunflower or whatever lecithin? I really like those chocolate bars. But almost every brand has lecithin. If it's really bad and has PUFA. Then I can't eat them so frequently. Maybe once a week 100g bar.. It's bad, because I really enjoy my chocolate with milk. It's so satisfying and calming combination. :cry:

YuraCZ

Amazoniac said:
There are many places near Czech Republic that probably have high quality chocolate: Austria, Hungary, etc. But if you can't find, order online from Amazon or eBay..
I know. It's not problem buy Lindt or something. But price is a problem.. I had great meal now. My last 200g lecithin chocolate bar and 1L of milk. Around 1600kcal. Nice metabolic boost. :D

tara

YuraCZ said:
tara said:
and what about sunflower lecithin? Is there any pufa? Is here any comment from Peat about soy/sunflower or whatever lecithin? I really like those chocolate bars. But almost every brand has lecithin. If it's really bad and has PUFA. Then I can't eat them so frequently. Maybe once a week 100g bar.. It's bad, because I really enjoy my chocolate with milk. It's so satisfying and calming combination. :cry:

I think there is more concern about soya lecithin than sunflower, because of the estrogenic effects of some soy components. I don't know anything bad about sunflower lecithin, but that could be ignorance. Can you see on the label what the PUFA content is?
I suspect that if you are eating a tablespoon of natto a day, it probably doesn't make much difference if there is also a little soy lecithin in your chocolate.
Personally, I still do eat some chocolate with soy lecithin, but I'm not sure whether it's a good idea for me.

My point was that people who avoid that chocolate and not likely to think avoiding a tablespoon of natto a day is silly.