How To Transition Into The Guidelines Of Ray Peat?

RFTG

Been on a basically low fodmap diet for the last few years. Mainly beef, fish, chicken, eggs, white rice, white potatoes, sweet potatoes, coconut oil, olive oil, ghee, boiled carrots, leafy greens, tomatoes, avocados, berries, bananas. I haven't had any dairy, nuts, grains, fruits (except berries and bananas) or oils (apart from coconut oil and olive oil) for years. A couple of years ago I also tried the whole low carbs thing, which in the long term felt like a disaster.

Lately I have been very interested in Ray Peat and I would like to incorporate many of his guidelines as the science behind it makes sense and I feel that I have the potential to feel much better than what I do today. I feel the best way to do this is incorporating things slowly. I suspect if I added in for example all the dairy and sugar overnight it would be a total shock for my body. Today I take plenty of supplements and I want to cover everything through diet first hand.

I have been thinking about at first adding in liver (for Vitamin A) and oysters (for Zinc) weekly, and try the raw carrot salad daily. After this maybe fruits with (or between) the meals. Slowly try to have some dairy - perhaps add in butter and some cheeses? Even though I have no ideas what it would make me feel like, I have found myself really craving things like orange juice and cheeses.

At the same time I believe this 'diet' could potentially be really beneficial for me, I am quite scared to be honest to change the way I eat significantly. This stems from all the skin issues I have had constantly since about ten years ago. I have avoiding things like dairy and sugar as the whole general consensus around was that these are potential triggers for acne breakouts. For more background info about me please have a look at this thread: First Post - What Can These Tests Tell Me?

I would be very grateful for any ideas on how to proceed, and as I suspect many of you have been in a similar position it would be interesting to hear your stories.

Thank you!

M

marikay

Hi.

I'd drop the sweet potatoes, the tomatoes, the avocados, the berries, and the bananas. Raw carrot with some olive oil and non-iodized salt in the afternoon away from other food is a staple of the Peat diet, so I'd make that change as well. Vitamin A will take care of any acne. Ray recommends citrus fruit (especially no-pulp orange juice), cherries, and melons.

I could not get enough good protein if I didn't drink milk. And sugar is a wonder drug. Don't fear it.;)

Good Luck.

EIRE24

Hi.

I'd drop the sweet potatoes, the tomatoes, the avocados, the berries, and the bananas. Raw carrot with some olive oil and non-iodized salt in the afternoon away from other food is a staple of the Peat diet, so I'd make that change as well. Vitamin A will take care of any acne. Ray recommends citrus fruit (especially no-pulp orange juice), cherries, and melons.

I could not get enough good protein if I didn't drink milk. And sugar is a wonder drug. Don't fear it.;)

Good Luck.

Vitamin A will take care of acne? This is the most blanket statement ever. I take vitamin A and it makes no difference whatsoever to my acne. Before I adopted a peat diet that I'm certain destroyed my gut my skin was perfect.

If I was the OP I would continue with what you are doing and not worry much about changing things unless you do not feel well

M

marikay

Vitamin A will take care of acne? This is the most blanket statement ever. I take vitamin A and it makes no difference whatsoever to my acne. Before I adopted a peat diet that I'm certain destroyed my gut my skin was perfect.

If I was the OP I would continue with what you are doing and not worry much about changing things unless you do not feel well

Blanket statement or not, vitamin A does fight acne. And I sincerely doubt that my statement about vitamin a is "the most blanket statement ever." Please refrain from responding to my posts in the future, and I'll do the same to yours.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaveFoster

Fiber is Satan if you can't tolerate it. Endotoxin-avoidance is one of the unifying concepts of Peat's philosophy. Fear the gut, support the gut.

Has your skin healed upon returning to your former diet? Have you tried anti-microbials? Do you take thyroid?

OP
R

RFTG

Thanks for all the answers and your suggestions!

Has your skin healed upon returning to your former diet? Have you tried anti-microbials? Do you take thyroid?

My skin have been bad constantly for ten years, except during the courses of accutane and tetracyclines, and different prescription creams. Nowadays the acne is much milder, but the fact I am still getting it is annoying.

I have tried peppermint oil and oregano oil recently for a period of six weeks, plus anti-biofilm agents like fulvic acid and lactoferrin. This helped me a little bit with IBS symptoms but no real change in skin quality. I have not tried thyroid yet, but it sounds interesting and I will read up on it more. Next step I will try to add in oysters and beef liver. My only concern with beef liver is if I will experience any side effects given the amount of retinol, due to being on accutane twice a couple of years ago.

tara

I feel the best way to do this is incorporating things slowly.
+1
I have been thinking about at first adding in liver (for Vitamin A) and oysters (for Zinc) weekly, and try the raw carrot salad daily. After this maybe fruits with (or between) the meals. Slowly try to have some dairy - perhaps add in butter and some cheeses? Even though I have no ideas what it would make me feel like, I have found myself really craving things like orange juice and cheeses.
This seems like a reasonable plan to me.
Personally, I don't enjoy 100 g of liver all in one go - I love eating smaller amounts more often, but some people are happy to eat 100-150 g once a week. If you don't enjoy it the first time, experiment with cooking it different ways.

Adding in small amounts of fruit, juice and dairy and gradually increasing if it tastes and feels good seems reasonable. Peat has said some people can restore their ability to digest milk by starting with very small quantities with meals, and gradually increasing. Either milk or cheese can be good if they serve you (don't work for me currently).
In terms of what you are eating at the moment, if it's not causing you trouble, that's good. I'd probably keep the quantities of avocado down to smallish. Personally, I'd avoid eating large amounts of bananas, and I've got low tolerance for boiled carrots (I suspect excess carotene). You might want to see if you can get more collagenous/gelatinous versions of the meats you are eating.

Unless you are eating a large amount of greens, I wonder if you are getting enough calcium? Peat has recommended eggshell calcium as a reasonable supplement if you can't manage milk at this time. Getting enough calcium is important for a number of processes. I imagine you are getting a bit of Mg from your greens (hoping they are well-cooked and you drink the water too), and adding in liver helps with fat soluble vitamins to help regulate it.

Watch how the changes affect you, and don't force yourself to persist if it doesn't seem good. It can take the gut a while to adjust to changes - I think making them slowly would probably mitigate that.

Getting a regular sun on the skin can also make a positive difference - we need the light.

OP
R

RFTG

+1

This seems like a reasonable plan to me.
Personally, I don't enjoy 100 g of liver all in one go - I love eating smaller amounts more often, but some people are happy to eat 100-150 g once a week. If you don't enjoy it the first time, experiment with cooking it different ways.

Adding in small amounts of fruit, juice and dairy and gradually increasing if it tastes and feels good seems reasonable. Peat has said some people can restore their ability to digest milk by starting with very small quantities with meals, and gradually increasing. Either milk or cheese can be good if they serve you (don't work for me currently).
In terms of what you are eating at the moment, if it's not causing you trouble, that's good. I'd probably keep the quantities of avocado down to smallish. Personally, I'd avoid eating large amounts of bananas, and I've got low tolerance for boiled carrots (I suspect excess carotene). You might want to see if you can get more collagenous/gelatinous versions of the meats you are eating.

Unless you are eating a large amount of greens, I wonder if you are getting enough calcium? Peat has recommended eggshell calcium as a reasonable supplement if you can't manage milk at this time. Getting enough calcium is important for a number of processes. I imagine you are getting a bit of Mg from your greens (hoping they are well-cooked and you drink the water too), and adding in liver helps with fat soluble vitamins to help regulate it.

Watch how the changes affect you, and don't force yourself to persist if it doesn't seem good. It can take the gut a while to adjust to changes - I think making them slowly would probably mitigate that.

Getting a regular sun on the skin can also make a positive difference - we need the light.

Thank you very much. Good that you pointed out calcium, because I am concerned that I might be low in that, since have been dairy-free (except for small amounts of butter) for years.

As for sun I experience that a little bit is fine, but I usually gets terrible acne when my skin dries out too much as a result of the sun. Not sure what is causing my sun sensitivity but I suspect that I am somewhat sensitive after the rounds of antibiotics and accutane. My skin looks terrible after sitting by the computer screen or phone for a long period of time as well.

I am taking things slowly, and will post my experiences when I have added in liver and some fruits.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals