Natural polyphenols as sirtuin 6 modulators

OP
David PS

David PS

Berries: Improving Human Health and Healthy Aging, and Promoting Quality Life—A Review

Abstract​

The importance of the diet in relation to human health has increased the interest of consumers on nutraceuticals rich foods, and especially on fruits and vegetables. Berries are rich sources of a wide variety of antioxidant phenolics; these phytochemicals include flavonoids, stilbenes, tannins, and phenolic acids. Reactive oxidant species and free radicals are produced in an extensive range of physiological processes. In addition to the antioxidant defenses produced in the body, there are exogenous sources supplied by the diet; this is the case of berry fruits, among others. The insufficiency of antioxidant defense mechanisms is associated to the pathology of chronic disorders such as cardiovascular diseases, inflammation, and diabetes. Therefore, the enforcement of the latter mechanisms is of the utmost importance. The isolation and characterization of compounds that may delay the onset of aging is receiving intense research attention; some berry phenolics are being associated with this functional performance. Berry phenolics may also act as antimicrobials which may be of help in the control of the wild spectra of pathogens, in view of recent problems associated with antibiotic resistance. Most of the research works on the antioxidant activity of bioactive constituents of berries has been carried out using in vitro assays. In view of this, the human studies investigating the bioavailability and potential toxicity of phenolics are receiving more attention. Finally, we would like to emphasize the necessity of associating new plant breeding and genetic studies of berries with the expression and overexpression of compounds for human health and healthy aging.

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

Plus the benefits to eye health. I have grown and consumed black currants for about 30 years now, and it is nice to see that something you know was good for you is even better than you thought. Berry Extract Improves Night Vision - Life Extension
thanks for the link. I did not know about C3G improving eye health.
•C3G increased the viability and inhibited the apoptosis of RPE cells.

•C3G improved the barrier function of RPE cells.

•C3G suppressed the ER stress and maintained normal ER morphology in RPE cells.

•C3G activated the Nrf2 pathway to promote RPE survival.

OP
David PS

David PS

Dave Clark

The ranking is by cyanidin content. Personally, rank these foods by cost when I am shopping.
Most people don't know about how easy elderberries are to grow. They are perennial, once you plant them, you are golden. I planted mine 25 years ago and harvest a bunch of them every year. Prune them down to the ground every year and they won't get big as a tree, they come back and grow to about 6 to 8 ft tall. Learned that trick from a professional grower. From there, you can use the berries in many things, wine, syrup, baking, powdered supplement, etc. My next favorite, but is not on the list is aronia berries. A perennial bush that gets about 6 to 8 ft tall. I have had mine for about 20 years, produces every year and berries can be used many ways as well.

OP
David PS

David PS

Most people don't know about how easy elderberries are to grow. They are perennial, once you plant them, you are golden. I planted mine 25 years ago and harvest a bunch of them every year. Prune them down to the ground every year and they won't get big as a tree, they come back and grow to about 6 to 8 ft tall. Learned that trick from a professional grower. From there, you can use the berries in many things, wine, syrup, baking, powdered supplement, etc. My next favorite, but is not on the list is aronia berries. A perennial bush that gets about 6 to 8 ft tall. I have had mine for about 20 years, produces every year and berries can be used many ways as well.
Thanks, I only had elderberries for the first time today.

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

Neuroprotective effects of anthocyanins and its major component cyanidin-3-O-glucoside (C3G) in the central nervous system: An outlined review

In the central nervous system (CNS), anthocyanins and its major component cyanidin-3-O-glucoside (C3G) have been reported to produce preventive and/or therapeutic activities in a wide range of disorders, such as cerebral ischemia, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, and glioblastoma. Both anthocyanins and C3G can also affect some important processes in aging, including neuronal apoptosis and death as well as learning and memory impairment.

OP
David PS

David PS

OP
David PS

David PS

Mitochondrial dysfunction is one of the hallmarks of aging and neurodegeneration. SIRT6 keeps mitochondria healthy in aging brains and when lost, its changes correlate with the changes in AD, PD, ALS and Huntington’s diseases.

Thanks I will look for them.

I get most of my cyanidins from blueberries which are in every supermarket these days. The wide range of cyanidins from the original post is blueberries (57 to 503 mg/100 g) I get frozen organic at Walmart. They claim to have 2X the antioxidants and may account for the high end of the range.
Bioflavonoids apparently helps your body utilize vitamin C better. I love Wyman’s frozen wild blueberries. Maybe that’s the one you are talking about. It says on the package that it has 2x the antioxidants of regular blueberries.

Osukhan

i know i may have mentioned it in another thread but i really like The Immunity Code by Joel Greene, @David PS i think you would find the book interesting especially with all your blood glucose posts. I use his product called Young Reds, his C3G product.

OP
David PS

David PS

i know i may have mentioned it in another thread but i really like The Immunity Code by Joel Greene, @David PS i think you would find the book interesting especially with all your blood glucose posts. I use his product called Young Reds, his C3G product.
Thanks I will look into the book.