New and needing a bit of help!

Maisy

Hi All - nice to meat you!

I am based in the UK and very new to the Ray Peat diet. I am a 42 year old woman who is feeling my age, I lack energy and feel stressed out a lot of the time. I enjoy weight training and I am a reasonable weight.

I have dieted to lose weight in the past, which I don't think has helped me and tried whole food, Paleo and The Perfect Health diet which didn't help me. I am now trying the Peat diet and hope I am doing it correctly! I have only been doing this for a week, but haven't noticed any difference so far, but it is probably too soon! My standard diet is:

Breakfast: two eggs with salt, 12oz of orange juice, 8oz of medium fat milk made into a decaf coffee with 1 teaspoon sugar and grapes or melon.

Snack: carrot salad with salt with cider vinegar and teaspoon of virgin coconut oil

Lunch: cottage cheese, mozzarella, prawns, mussels or crab with a few small tomatoes and grapes or melon with 8oz orange juice, 8oz medium fat milk - made into decaf coffee with teaspoon sugar.

Dinner: lamb, liver or white fish with small amount of cooked zucchini or red pepper with sweet potato or white potato. Small amount of pork gelatin if I have meat (but not with fish) Same orange juice and milk/coffee as before. Some evenings I have one measure of whiskey and a square or two of dark chocolate.

I also take spirulina / chlorella and Maca tablets to help my tiredness - haven't stopped this as I have been doing it for a long time.

If anyone can advise in what I could improve upon I would appreciate it - particularly whether decaf instant coffee powder is okay or not?

Many thanks

chris

You seem to have got a pretty standard Peat way of eating laid down.

Off the top of my head, things you could think about:
Howcome you use decaf? I believe the way decaf is made is a chemical is used on regular coffee which reduces the caffeine, that is not something that sounds healthy to ingest. Coffee and caffeine have many health benefits as long as you have enough glycogen and eating with meals helps solve issues people have.

Perhaps taking a temporary break from weight training may prove positive, allowing yourself to recover.

From memory, Dr Peat did not seem positive about apple cider vinegar, saying some often contained toxins and/or fungus. I believe he recommended white, distilled vinegar.

Spirulina and chlorella I don't think are beneficial, I think they have a high iron content, which seems to be not as beneficial and some people make out to be.

Other than that, I would make sure you are getting 80+ grams of protein and enough carbs.

Mittir

1 oz of chlorella has about 36 mg of iron. That is extremely high.
RP does not like spirulina and seaweeds. They have lots of toxic chemical in them.
In wikipedia i found that chlorella has exndotxins.
It would be a good idea to stop using spirulina and chlorella.
RP recommends a low iron and low endotoxin diet.

He suggest eating low protein food after sunset, mostly fat and carb should be
eaten. Milk and gelatin are ok. You can eat meat and fish during day time.
You want to make sure you are getting at least 80 grams of protein and
33 to 50 percent of your calories from sugar. Pulp in OJ can increase
endotoxin for some people. Thoroughly Strained OJ is a good idea.
Avoid drinking OJ with iron rich foods, this increases iron absorption.

He does recommend concentric exercise only. Other form of exercise
increases lactic acid,which is very unhealthy. Bag breathing 2-3 times a day
for 1-2 minutes* can be quite helpful. Overdoing can be harmful.

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Maisy, :welcome

I agree with Kiran with dropping the spirulina / chlorella.

Maisy

Many thanks for your feedback Chris, Mittir, Jenn and Charlie, that is very kind of you!

I will take your points on board, I just got used to decaf, but started on the caff now! Never thought of the iron in spirulina and chlorella, but that is a good point. Will take gelatin at every flesh/protein meal.

I am getting about 100g of protein and only have strained orange juice.

Fingers crossed! I am determined to stick at this!

Maisy
x

4peatssake

:welcome2 to the forum Maisy!

You got some great feedback from others but I wanted to caution against the whiskey - particularly if it's dark whiskey due to its high estrogen content.

Ray Peat said:
Small amounts of alcohol can have some good antioxidant effects, but beer, wine, and dark whiskey, etc., contain enough estrogen to be harmful.
Ray also recommends refined coconut oil over virgin coconut oil due to impurities and does not recommend sweet potato (well cooked white potato is OK if tolerated).

Glad you have joined us!

Maisy

4peatssake said:
:welcome2 to the forum Maisy!

You got some great feedback from others but I wanted to caution against the whiskey - particularly if it's dark whiskey due to its high estrogen content.

Ray Peat said:
Small amounts of alcohol can have some good antioxidant effects, but beer, wine, and dark whiskey, etc., contain enough estrogen to be harmful.
Ray also recommends refined coconut oil over virgin coconut oil due to impurities and does not recommend sweet potato (well cooked white potato is OK if tolerated).

Glad you have joined us!

Thanks for the Welcome 4peatssake - some more good points I will follow to refine further. Looking forward to feeling some positive results :D