Taurine raises prolactin, tread carefully. :hattip

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

snowboard111

Why so vague about it? o_O

I took 10g everyday for 2 month and now take 5g every other day and I still have as much hair as I've always had...I don't even think one has to take that much.
Taurine reach a plateau after (I think) 10g a day for a month

BastiFuntasty

Than it's maybe a good thing to combine taurine with k2 to counteract it's pro lactin raising properties.

snowboard111

To state that Taurine raise prolactin and that it make hair fall out is just a broad statement. There's taurine in milk, cheese, scallops, eggs, meat (Do I really need to add more?) Would you stop eating these?

Taurine can be hard on the stomach if you take too much at the same time and it can also induce hypoglycemia at 1g (I think) in some people. You should try it and judge how you react to it and then make a decision if you continue or counteract it with other supplements (might not be that good of an idea).

Btw, Haidut doesn't recommend anything specifically... he post study and talk about it.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
taurine protects against hair loss I thought
My hair was falling out after taking taurine for several months, after seeing Drareg talking about taurine raising prolactin I put 2 and 2 together and stopped taking the taurine. Hair falling out dramatically reduced.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Besides that, taurine is awesome and I wish I could continue taking it. Gave me some of the best nights sleep.

milk

Like everyone else, I was under the impression taurine was "pro-hair".

When I started taking it I had days where my shedding halted completely. Shedding eventually returned, but one consistent effect -- I've been taking it for about a year now, a few grams a day -- is that it makes my hair look distinctly better: less oily, softer, shinier.

Which one would assume is auspicious re: hair loss, no?

But who knows. I hope we can clear this up!

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Maybe metabolic rate matters? I took a big hit with starch.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I did stop starches a couple weeks before that, but the hair kept falling out so then I stopped the taurine, couple days later big improvement. Maybe it was the starch?

johnwester130

My hair was falling out after taking taurine for several months, after seeing Drareg talking about taurine raising prolactin I put 2 and 2 together and stopped taking the taurine. Hair falling out dramatically reduced.

taurine depletes

glycine
beta alanine (carnosine)

Stryker

"Aspartic acid (10 g), taurine (5 g), and cysteine (5 or 10 g) had no consistent effect on any hormone measured, although the lack of effect of aspartic acid may relate to the modest increments in serum concentration achieved"

Oral study in humans

The only studies I've seen were taurine increases prolactin used injections into specific brain regions

If taurine really raised prolactin you wouldn't be seeing it in energy drinks and it will would kill your libido which is the opposite experience of everybody I know

BobbyDukes

Taurine is one of the few supps that noticeably gives me a libido boost. After ejacualtion, you know what the effects of prolactin feel like (it's literally like an 'off' switch), so I doubt it is raising prolactin, in my case.

Also, acutely, taurine boosts GABA, which indirectly boosts dopamine. Perhaps this indirectly raises prolactin as a compensatory measure, but sure doesn't feel like that to me. Then again, I'm not taking it every day. I use it now and again as a sleep aid (it needs lots of sugar to work), and it works perfectly for that.

I also find it to be an anti-depressant. It literally 'lifts me'. I always theorised it must be doing something useful (perhaps detox), as this happens everytime along with the boost in libido. Note, I only get these beneficial effects of I take it at night. And the effects always follow the following morning. Again, pretty sure anything boosting prolactin isn't going to be anti-depressive.

If I take it everyday, I just become tolerant to its effects.

Just sticking up for taurine.

I notice no beneficial effects from red bull. None at all.

Drareg

I think it's important to remember that taurine increases testosterone,it doesn't specifically increase DHT which can't be converted to estrogen.
Excess testosterone from taurine could convert to estrogen I would guess.
All the above could start the stress loops and feedback in the body, elevated estrogen leading to elevated prolactin etc.

I think you are right Charlie in relation to slow metabolism,possibly like pregnenolone effect when hypothyroid.
Haidut mentioned Peat recommended Taurine to a few people via email.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals