Masturbation And Hair Loss

CDT

What is your take on this? I've heard masturbation raises prolactin levels which can in some way contribute to hair loss. What about the nutrients lost via ejaculation, would that affect hair as well?
OR
Is masturbation and hair loss connected at all?

Please forgive me for the rather forward question. It's something that has been concerning a few members of the forum so I thought I'd bring it up.

Frankdee20

I don’t masturbate and I have not grown any hair. You may grow hair on palms though

Inaut

is increased prolactin associated with orgasm or masturbation in general? is there a difference between sex and sex without orgasm in terms of prolactin?

TeaRex14

The prolactin elevation is always acute unless you're a chronic masturbator. Real sex, as opposed to masturbation, typically causes higher spikes in prolactin but it also has the ability to increase androgens as well. So always go for real sex when at all possible. Not only do you get the androgen benefits from real sex, but it's a lot less likely you can develop a chronic issue with real sex because you obviously need a partner. Vitamin B6, zinc, and copper are usually the main nutrients drained from ejaculation. So oysters is obviously a good food to eat if you're highly active, sexually speaking. Nofap might be a good ritual to adopt if you think you've got prolactin problems due to excessive masturbation.

jzeno

Vinero

@CDT

Seminal fluid contains zinc and a few other nutrients. Some claim that overmasturbation can deplete the body in minerals such as zinc, contributing to worsened hair health.

Lead, magnesium, selenium and zinc in human seminal fluid: comparison with semen parameters and fertility

Far out there, but seems somewhat plausible.
This is of no concern if you regularly eat beef or oysters, which are high in zinc. Also some members here take Zinc as a supplement to increase testosterone.

jzeno

@Vinero

Yes, I would agree. Unless your malnutrition was a chronic condition due to some separate issue, and you are regularly consuming foods with zinc, this doesn't seem like it would be a big issue. I could be wrong, but that is my take.

redsun

Humans have a high requirement for zinc which should be met everyday on top of zinc loss of ejaculation. It is a big no however that it causes hair loss or even contributes. The real answer is someone who is incredibly unhealthy and not meeting mineral needs on a regular basis will see a decline in health when doing any activity. In other words, if you are malnutritioned, even light easy exercise can be detrimental to your health. This is why chronically sick people generally move less and more slowly because it is a natural instinct to slow down because your body wants you to conserve energy and nutrients. And for less extreme cases, if you are unhealthy and dont feel like doing much of anything, the same principle applies.

Cirion

Yeah I would say the short answer is - if you're already unhealthy in some form or another, then nofap will probably net you some benefits. Maybe not regaining hair, but probably other areas like mood. If you're mostly healthy you probably won't see much or any benefits.

I don't have hair loss but I get noticeable mood improvements from nofap, but that's probably because I'm not quite well and likely deficient in minerals etc that you lose while partaking in such activities.

Luk3

Chris Masterjohn says ejaculation uses ~1mg of zinc, and dietary absorption of zinc is ~30%. So, in theory, you’d need roughly 3mg of zinc to cover the loss of each ejaculation. From this, you can see how years of ejaculating on a daily basis could cause issues—if what Masterjohn said is correct.

Cirion

Chris Masterjohn says ejaculation uses ~1mg of zinc, and dietary absorption of zinc is ~30%. So, in theory, you’d need roughly 3mg of zinc to cover the loss of each ejaculation. From this, you can see how years of ejaculating on a daily basis could cause issues—if what Masterjohn said is correct.

I thought I read the other day you lose Copper, and Selenium as well. Selenium is used in conjunction with Iodine to create T3, So a loss in selenium could indirectly lower your T3.

@Douglas Ek , didn't you say that fixing your Iron metabolism solved this problem for you?

Sheik

I don't think it's the prolactin, but the energetic drain on your system that impacts hair. My theory is this: hair is one of the first things to suffer when a person is chronically stressed because it's not a biological priority. Reproduction is a biological priority, and your body puts a lot of resources into making new sperm in case the opportunity to mate arises. People who are chronically stressed are more likely to masturbate, or do so more frequently, because they want to relieve the pain of chronic stress.

If it's not an energetic drain from creating new sperm but actually a loss of some vitamins or minerals, I haven't figured out what they are. I've tried zinc and other things; nothing reduces that post-ejaculation fatigue. There's also no difference in this when it comes to real sex versus masturbation; they both cause fatigue and a feeling of poor scalp circulation.

Last edited:

Cirion

People who are chronically stressed are more likely to masturbate, or do so more frequently, because they want to relieve the pain of chronic stress.

Yes, when I was at my most stressed in life I might have done it upwards of 3-6x a day. The irony is, this actually makes it worse. When you're unhealthy your body tends to crave "unhealthy" forms of dopamine rushes which make you worse in the long run.

If it's not an energetic drain from creating new sperm but actually a loss of some vitamins or minerals, I haven't figured out what they are. I've tried zinc and other things; nothing reduces that post-ejaculation fatigue.

@Douglas Ek solved this problem by fixing his Iron metabolism. Hopefully he can chime in.

There's also no difference in this when it comes to real sex versus masturbation; they both cause fatigue and a feeling of poor scalp circulation.

agreed. Also having a partner can actually be pretty bad at least early on in dating when you're always together and doing it multiple times a day. For myself, I've vowed in the future to partake in Karezza (ejaculation-less sex) because I hate how I feel afterwards too much and want to keep the benefits of nofap while reaping the benefits of a relationship.

FWIW, I've heard that karezza actually results in healthier relationships / better bonding with your mate anyway. So a win-win to me :)

Frankdee20

I am sorry but post ejaculation issues from masturbation are way different than from a partner. This is why I do not masturbate.

Cirion

I am sorry but post ejaculation issues from masturbation are way different than from a partner. This is why I do not masturbate.

That wasn't my experience in my last relationship. I felt clear and obvious serotonin-like symptoms in either scenario, including but not limited to laziness, sleepiness, irritability... I don't wish to experience those type of feelings again in the future. In fact it was the laziness, lack of motivation/energy that I experienced that resulted in some of the conflicts/arguments we had, which no doubt indirectly resulted in a failure of the relationship. That's why I think karezza can actually save relationships in some cases at least.

Luk3

I thought I read the other day you lose Copper, and Selenium as well. Selenium is used in conjunction with Iodine to create T3, So a loss in selenium could indirectly lower your T3.

It may well do, but what Masterjohn said was on a podcast specifically about zinc, so he didn’t mention anything else IIRC.

Frankdee20

That wasn't my experience in my last relationship. I felt clear and obvious serotonin-like symptoms in either scenario, including but not limited to laziness, sleepiness, irritability... I don't wish to experience those type of feelings again in the future. In fact it was the laziness, lack of motivation/energy that I experienced that resulted in some of the conflicts/arguments we had, which no doubt indirectly resulted in a failure of the relationship. That's why I think karezza can actually save relationships in some cases at least.

It goes to show you how different we all are. I can go a few rounds on a particular day with a woman, and not feel that way at all. God Forbid I start jacking, and ejaculate from that, I get the worst eye floaters, fatigue, depression, lump in the throat, inflamatory feelings in my gut, muscle pain, basically fibromyalgia type stuff.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals