Taurine Protects Hair And Inhibits TGF-beta1

north

After reading some stuff about taurine from Haidut, it finally caught my eye when i read its a vasodilator and lowers adrenaline. IIRC Charlie also posted about how taurine made his adrenaline go down substantially when he tried it.
Since Peat says minoxidil works by increasing NO, which is a vasodilator during stress with long term negative effects, i thought maybe there is something to it. Hairs have also been shown to be inefficient in the way they produce atp, and generates a lot of lactic acid. So there might be a low CO2 environment in the scalp, CO2 protects against lactic acid, and increasing blood flow and CO2 might be good for the hair.

Taurine seems to not only be a vasodilator but also its taken up by hair bulb, protects it as well as inhibits TGF-beta1, which inhibits hair growth and causes fibrosis!

"Taurine is a naturally occurring beta-amino acid produced by methionine and cysteine metabolism. It is involved in a variety of physiological functions, including immunomodulatory and antifibrotic. Taking advantage of the ability of human hair follicle grown in vitro to recapitulate most of the characteristic features of normal hair follicle in vivo, we studied (i) taurine uptake by isolated human hair follicles; (ii) its effects on hair growth and survival rate; and (iii) its protective potential against transforming growth factor (TGF)-beta1, an inhibitor of in vitro hair growth and a master switch of fibrotic program. We showed that taurine was taken up by the connective tissue sheath, proximal outer root sheath and hair bulb, promoted hair survival in vitro and prevented TGF-beta1-induced deleterious effects on hair follicle."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18489269

Wow I'm glad I ordered some. Red Bull gets old, also BPA galore.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
has anyone tried it and noticed a difference?
I used it short term to help lower adrenaline back in the fall. I found it very effective for that purpose. :D

Ben

Interesting that they say it's produced by methionine and cysteine metabolism. I hope taking it doesn't increase them because RP warned of their methylating, aging-inducing, and anti-thyroid effects.

jyb

Ben said:
Interesting that they say it's produced by methionine and cysteine metabolism. I hope taking it doesn't increase them because RP warned of their methylating, aging-inducing, and anti-thyroid effects.

I think that applies to other things too like B3 being produced by tryptophane (B3 or serotonin, depending on health).

Ben

I wonder if the producers of Red Bull even know that taurine makes people feel sleepy in higher doses.

Peata

Ben said:
I wonder if the producers of Red Bull even know that taurine makes people feel sleepy in higher doses.

I assumed they included it to smooth out the edge of the caffeine.

Ben

Possibly. But again, let's not forget they want to give people wings. When most people take taurine, they grow a turtle shell, not wings. Lol.

4peatssake

Best source/place to purchase taurine?
I don't see that Dan has it on Toxinless.
Thanks.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I used this brand http://www.pureencapsulations.com. I'm not sure if it's the best but it's sold at an apothecary near my house and I've had good luck with most of their products. I took the 1000 mg strength.

4peatssake

Blossom said:
I used this brand http://www.pureencapsulations.com. I'm not sure if it's the best but it's sold at an apothecary near my house and I've had good luck with most of their products. I took the 1000 mg strength.
Awesome. Thank you Blossom. :hattip

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I prefer powders when possible. Although its more crystaline then powder.

Peata

This is an old post, but I had a question. I couldn't find a bottle of taurine I bought last year so I bought another one today. So anyway, did you take 1000 mg per day (one capsule) or more that that each day? I don't want to lower adrenaline too much, actually, if that's even possible. I seem pretty good on that nowadays, but I am interested in other effects of taurine such as lowering estrogen, tryptophan.

Nicholas

Peata said:
post 67940 has anyone tried it and noticed a difference?

maybe it's too soon to comment, but i've been taking taurine for about a month (500mg/every other day)...and i had buzzed my hair short a week before started taking it. also eat shrimp regularly. started noticing after a couple weeks that my hair felt much thicker - not as thin. it also seems to stay healthy like it seems more alive. not sure if it would be possible for a month of taurine to promote hair re-growth but i am noticing many new hairs coming in, but i don't check often so i could be wrong. it just occured to me today that my noticeably different hair could be because of the taurine.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals