Can Taurine Cause Hair Loss?

johnwester130

Sheik

that is "hair shedding" .

not male pattern baldness, which is caused by scalp muscles. there is a very slight overlap between the 2.

Hair Loss: The Mechanics of Male Pattern Baldness
Involvement of Mechanical Stress in Androgenetic Alopecia
I don't remember if I commented on your theory before but I think you might be right. I actually thought that before I heard you say it because I get extreme tension in my scalp in precisely the area that's thinning. It gets especially tense when I am with people (character armor), and meditation is perhaps the best method I've found of getting it to relax (though certainly not a perfect method as it can be difficult). That plus generally being healthy.

Ray stated that people with hair loss tend to have elevated prolactin and cortisol, but this does not mean baldness is caused by elevated prolactin and cortisol. And it's easy to imagine that people with "character armor" would have elevated stress hormones.

Another puzzle piece that was pointed out to me a couple of years ago is that people with hair loss tend to have deeper forehead creases. This seems to be true, and ties in with my experience because my forehead tenses along with my scalp when I have that armor, and it relaxes when I meditate.

It seems possible to me that at least for "male pattern baldness" this is the cause. It also seems possible that many people don't notice they have the tension and almost never relax (even while sleeping).

johnwester130

Ray stated that people with hair loss tend to have elevated prolactin and cortisol, but this does not mean baldness is caused by elevated prolactin and cortisol. And it's easy to imagine that people with "character armor" would have elevated stress hormones.

People are confusing male pattern baldness with hair shedding (prolactin, cortisol, estrogen, vitamin d etc) .

They are two different things with some small similarities.

It means the shedding of hair is caused by prolactin and cortisol.

these exercises may relax the galea

scalp laxity - YouTube
scalp exercise - YouTube

Last edited:

johnwester130

it's a very overrated supplement

it does have short term effects - take it for a maximum of two weeks

ignore my other post - that's just a theory I had

Frankdee20

Taurine is one of the few supps that noticeably gives me a libido boost. After ejacualtion, you know what the effects of prolactin feel like (it's literally like an 'off' switch), so I doubt it is raising prolactin, in my case.

Also, acutely, taurine boosts GABA, which indirectly boosts dopamine. Perhaps this indirectly raises prolactin as a compensatory measure, but sure doesn't feel like that to me. Then again, I'm not taking it every day. I use it now and again as a sleep aid (it needs lots of sugar to work), and it works perfectly for that.

I also find it to be an anti-depressant. It literally 'lifts me'. I always theorised it must be doing something useful (perhaps detox), as this happens everytime along with the boost in libido. Note, I only get these beneficial effects of I take it at night. And the effects always follow the following morning. Again, pretty sure anything boosting prolactin isn't going to be anti-depressive.

If I take it everyday, I just become tolerant to its effects.

Just sticking up for taurine.

I notice no beneficial effects from red bull. None at all.

Currently I take 2 grams, how much were you taking ?

Repas du soir

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? Does Taurine actually increase prolactin levels? Seems kind of dumb to consume milk, dairy, shellfish, or meat if that was really the case.

Arnold Grape

Second -- Currently at 3-5 g, daily. My general, intuitive sense is that it increases glycogen stores, while in some it has mentally soothing effects. I also believe it has the ability to help cleanse the liver, but I have no idea if it's bad to take for extended periods. Have never actually heard that claim before.

Arrade

Have we discovered if prolactin causes hairloss or hyperprolactinemia causes hairloss.
I believe prolactin increases androgen receptors, seems like a positive thing and hairloss is caused by negative things.

ddjd

My hair was falling out after taking taurine for several months, after seeing Drareg talking about taurine raising prolactin I put 2 and 2 together and stopped taking the taurine. Hair falling out dramatically reduced.
This is interesting because taurine raises nitric oxide. I suspect nitric oxide and Estrogen are the key reasons behind mpb

Luckytype

Have we discovered if prolactin causes hairloss or hyperprolactinemia causes hairloss.
I believe prolactin increases androgen receptors, seems like a positive thing and hairloss is caused by negative things.
If you consider post partum thyroiditis and hair loss in some women, and consider the fact that both mother and baby have pretty crazy levels of prolactin following birth, considering the appearance of mpb in babies perhaps its hyperprolactinemia in some but not all cases that causes some of it.

Arrade

If you consider post partum thyroiditis and hair loss in some women, and consider the fact that both mother and baby have pretty crazy levels of prolactin following birth, considering the appearance of mpb in babies perhaps its hyperprolactinemia in some but not all cases that causes some of it.
In both those cases can they grow back their hair?
I just find it strange to say prolactin simply from organs will kill your hair, everyone who had sex would be bald

Luckytype

In both those cases can they grow back their hair?
I just find it strange to say prolactin simply from organs will kill your hair, everyone who had sex would be bald

Yep, sometimes women are stabilized on thyroid short term following birth. I think once a baby's metabolism switches into higher gear they start growing hair eventually making the shape of the "mpb" indistinguishable.

Oddly, I think it correlates into them transitioning into smaller solid foods and also those with more carbohydrate content

GreekDemiGod

For me this means taurine makes Charlie's hair fall out, in his current state. Not that it makes everyone's hair fall out.
Exactly. Add Taurine to someone with a certain hormonal profile and you may get Y effect.
Add Taurine to someone with a totally different hormonal profile, and you will not get the Y effect.

GorillaHead

Want to add to this. Not sure how no one put this together but I have noticed things that increase bile causing shedding and dandruff for me it wasnt like that before. I can only assume that depending on peoples liver it is detoxing and the detoxing can be very bad for people.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals