Taurine as a possible antiaging therapy: A controlled clinical trial on taurine antioxidant activity in women ages 55 to 70

David PS

I only have access to the abstract.

Highlights​

•Taurine supplementation can minimize oxidative damage in women 55 to 70 y of age by modulating the antioxidant system.
•Taurine supplementation prevented decreases in the antioxidant enzyme superoxide dismutase.
•Taurine supplementation may be a viable nutritional strategy for controlling oxidative stress during the aging process.
1.5 grams of taurine for 16 weeks increased superoxide dismutase (SOD, antioxidant enzyme) by about 20%. It is my understanding that raising SOD with oral supplementation is very difficult.

Malondialdehyde levels increased only in the the control group. Malondialdehyde (MDA) is one of the final products of polyunsaturated fatty acids peroxidation in the cells. An increase in free radicals causes overproduction of MDA. Malondialdehyde level is commonly known as a marker of oxidative stress and the antioxidant status in cancerous patients.

And from 1982, Unequivocal demonstration that malondialdehyde is a mutagen

mm33

Forum Supporter
I only have access to the abstract.

1.5 grams of taurine for 16 weeks increased superoxide dismutase (SOD, antioxidant enzyme) by about 20%. It is my understanding that raising SOD with oral supplementation is very difficult.

Malondialdehyde levels increased only in the the control group. Malondialdehyde (MDA) is one of the final products of polyunsaturated fatty acids peroxidation in the cells. An increase in free radicals causes overproduction of MDA. Malondialdehyde level is commonly known as a marker of oxidative stress and the antioxidant status in cancerous patients.

And from 1982, Unequivocal demonstration that malondialdehyde is a mutagen
Thanks David very interesting stuff. I’ve noticed i do seem to feel better when i supplement taurine.

OP
David PS

David PS

Thanks David very interesting stuff. I’ve noticed i do seem to feel better when i supplement taurine.
Your welcome. I like taurine as well. One takeaway from this is for me is Malondialdehyde is a marker of PUFA peroxidation. I searched the forum for Malondialdehyde and was surprised to see over 100 hits. It is one of those words that I gloss over as I am reading a post. It is almost needlesss to say but "Ray was right again".

OP
David PS

David PS

Interesting.
Thanks that link was very helpful.

There are a number of ways to lower malondialdehyde. Here is one that I found interesting.

Protein Overfeeding is Associated with Improved Lipid and Anthropometric Profile thus Lower Malondialdehyde Levels in Resistance-Trained Athletes

Inaut

View: https://youtu.be/7MUEKBFCxoU

Just stumbled on to this and started watching. Around the 11 minute mark he mentions how he suspects the most beneficial role of taurine role is osmoregulation. Second is sulfur... Makes sense to me. I’ve increased me dosage recently from 2 to 6 grams daily and have noticed a significant improvement in my mood.

It’s a fun interview because he’s hyped on taurine. Worth a watch if you like/take taurine currently.

aguilaroja

One collection of some references:

"...evidence from animal and human studies showing that taurine protects against dyslipidemia, obesity, hypertension, and diabetes mellitus."

OP
David PS

David PS

One collection of some references:

"...evidence from animal and human studies showing that taurine protects against dyslipidemia, obesity, hypertension, and diabetes mellitus."
Thank you for this recent paper. Taurine is considered to be a non-essential amino acid. Yet it has many benefical effects.

The USDA database and the user friendly websites such as Cronometer.com which are based on the USDA database do not track taurine in the foods we eat. It makes one wonder.

OP
David PS

David PS

Just stumbled on to this and started watching. Around the 11 minute mark he mentions how he suspects the most beneficial role of taurine role is osmoregulation. Second is sulfur... Makes sense to me. I’ve increased me dosage recently from 2 to 6 grams daily and have noticed a significant improvement in my mood.

It’s a fun interview because he’s hyped on taurine. Worth a watch if you like/take taurine currently.
Thank you. It was good to learn that you could take 6 grams daily with no ill effects.

The same gentlemen more recently had posted a video of taurine which is about half the length but has lots of infographics to keep me focused.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8d1ygy_Bvo

th

Dave Clark

Thanks for the video. Along with the improvement in mood, have you noticed anything else, positive or negative? Any digestive issues, since taurine is supposed to be involved with bile production?
Also, is he saying that if you use 'any' lithium, like for instance the supplement type, usually about 5 mg, that you shouldn't use taurine, or vice versa?
I just checked this guy out on YT, he hates the Peat people, he is totally 'carnivore', and has the bedside manner of a drunken sailor {no offense to drunken sailors, lol}. I like his 'taurine' info, but he rubs me a bit like Jack Kruse, not sure how much I will listen to him.

Last edited:

Inaut

Along with the improvement in mood, have you noticed anything else, positive or negative? Any digestive issues, since taurine is supposed to be involved with bile production?
I think the only negative thing with taking more taurine now is my motility has noticeably slowed down. It may have been that I was going too frequently before?? So maybe it’s just balancing things out. Taurine used to give me diarrhea at high doses previously so it’s rather interesting to compare with how my body is responding now. I also think taurine helps me with sociability and communication (anecdotally).
Lastly, i have liver/gallbladder issues and taurine seems to prevent pain when I eat certain foods.

I will be testing out taurine at around 6 grams a day for the next month and see where I’m at. It has so many benefits that more may be better for a short period of time (and that’s typically not the case with other supplements).

mm33

Forum Supporter
Thank you. It was good to learn that you could take 6 grams daily with no ill effects.

The same gentlemen more recently had posted a video of taurine which is about half the length but has lots of infographics to keep me focused.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8d1ygy_Bvo

th

Thanks again David, this is great and the benefits are a lot more than I thought. We better stock up as once pharma finds out about all these benefits they won't be happy lol.

GenericName86

Is there a real concern for gaba downregulation with taurine or is that only at extremely high doses?

OP
David PS

David PS

Thanks again David, this is great and the benefits are a lot more than I thought. We better stock up as once pharma finds out about all these benefits they won't be happy lol.
Or you can get it the old-fashion way. I was really surprised about scallops.
13-09Taurine1.gif

Z

Zsazsa

Is there a real concern for gaba downregulation with taurine or is that only at extremely high doses?
From taking 100 mg Taurine in the morning I get very sleepy, with an uncomfortable heaviness in the eyelids.
From taking 100 mg Taurine after dinner I get insomnia and breathlessness.

Mossy

Or you can get it the old-fashion way. I was really surprised about scallops.
13-09Taurine1.gif
I feel like I can feel the positive taurine affects when eating scallops, shrimp and cod.
(No wonder scallops have that most taurine. You'll need that taurine buzz to distract you from how much the scallops cost.)

Mossy

From taking 100 mg Taurine in the morning I get very sleepy, with an uncomfortable heaviness in the eyelids.
From taking 100 mg Taurine after dinner I get insomnia and breathlessness.
I can get both these effects from supplemental taurine, but I only get the over-stimulation from very small amounts; and even then, no matter the dose, it always ends in grogginess and tiredness. (Taurine from food does not do this to me.)

Z

Zsazsa

I can get both these effects from supplemental taurine, but I only get the over-stimulation from very small amounts; and even then, no matter the dose, it always ends in grogginess and tiredness. (Taurine from food does not do this to me.)
Interesting. I can have a Red Bull with no ill effects...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals