Can a 27 year old girl take progesterone every day? Is it bad to lose menstruation for a temporary time?

Daniel North

Forum Supporter
My GF gets so tired, negative image of herself, is depressed, and sleeps poorly when she is off her progesterone half of the month.
Can she take her Progest-E every day for a period? Does it cause any problems for her to lose her period for 2-3 months?

mostlylurking

My GF gets so tired, negative image of herself, is depressed, and sleeps poorly when she is off her progesterone half of the month.
Can she take her Progest-E every day for a period? Does it cause any problems for her to lose her period for 2-3 months?
According to Ray Peat, if there is something seriously wrong that progesterone is known to help then it would be OK to take it everyday for several months. But you need to learn why there is this problem. Does she consume any polyunsaturated fats (they are estrogenic)? Is her liver function not working well? The liver detoxes estrogen. Is she constipated? If yes, the extrogen the liver moved out via the intestine can get reabsorbed. Is she hypothyroid? Hypothyroidism can happen if the liver has a lot of estrogen to detox because then the liver won't be as efficient in converting T4 to T3.

Suggest listening:

OP
D

Daniel North

Forum Supporter
We are working on her health. And my own. But while we are, i was just wondering about this topic. Thank you for your answers and listening suggestions.

mostlylurking

We are working on her health. And my own. But while we are, i was just wondering about this topic. Thank you for your answers and listening suggestions.
Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) are lurking everywhere; all restaurant food, bottled salad dressing, mayonnaise, etc. are common sources. Other specific things to watch out for are olive oil and avocados. Peat considered avocados to be a toxic food. Because olive oil is around 12% PUFA, Peat advised to limit the intake to 1/2 teaspoon/day.

(from the references)
"The promotive tumorigenic effects of other high-fat diets (avocado, soybeans) were associated with high content of some polyunsaturated fatty acids (linoleic and alpha-linolenic). Different diets have different targets. The effect of the same diet depends on its anti-tumor substances content. CONCLUSIONS: Vaccination and some diets have similar mechanism in their tumor-preventive effects.

Ann Nutr Metab 1991;35(5):253-60. Effect of dietary avocado oils on hepatic collagen metabolism. Wermam MJ, Mokady S, Neeman I Department of Food Engineering and Biotechnology, Technion - Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa. The effect of various avocado and soybean oils on collagen metabolism in the liver was studied in growing female rats for 8 weeks and in day-old chicks for 1 week. In comparison with rats fed either refined avocado oil, refined or unrefined soybean oils, rats fed unrefined avocado oil showed a significant decrease in total collagen solubility in the liver, while there were no changes in total collagen, protein and moisture content. Chicks fed unrefined avocado oil as compared to those fed refined avocado oil also showed a decrease in hepatic total soluble collagen while hepatic total collagen remained unaffected. Electron micrographs and light-microscope examinations of rats' liver revealed collagen accumulation in the periportal location. This is suggestive of the early stages of fibrosis."

OP
D

Daniel North

Forum Supporter
Polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) are lurking everywhere; all restaurant food, bottled salad dressing, mayonnaise, etc. are common sources. Other specific things to watch out for are olive oil and avocados. Peat considered avocados to be a toxic food. Because olive oil is around 12% PUFA, Peat advised to limit the intake to 1/2 teaspoon/day.
Yes, we havent eaten any PUFA for about 3+ years

mostlylurking

Can you provide a source for that?
Go here: bioenergetic search, search for Olive Oil. There are a couple of hits that have Peat saying "a teaspoon or two a day" of olive oil is OK. My memory is strong for the 1/2 teaspoon statement, but I can't find it. Perhaps he got more lenient about the amount over time?

The concept that olive oil isn't good has been important to me because in 2014 when I found Peat, I was consuming quite a bit of olive oil daily (cooking with it, using it for salad dressings) and I think that it was one of the things that was making me sick.

mostlylurking

But we may have eaten too much vitamin A. Testing out that theory now with a low vitamin A diet. ´
One of the things that was a big problem for me in 2014 was my over consumption of high carotene foods. I'm hypothyroid and hypothyroid people cannot convert carotene into vitamin A. I was making lots of curried butternut squash soup (yum!).

go here: bioenergetic search Search for Carotene.
"And carotene works like unsaturated fats in blocking thyroid function and progesterone function. In the early years of treating thyroid patients, they noticed that infertile women often turned out to have a red spot in the ovary in place of the yellow spot, which is called the corpus luteum. And it was red because such a tremendous amount of carotene had accumulated in it that instead of being yellow, it was a red spot. And that indicates both that the thyroid is unable to convert the cholesterol into progesterone..."

OP
D

Daniel North

Forum Supporter
Yes, it may be something like that that happened to us. We ate lots of OJ, Carrots and dairy last 6 months. And prior to that we have eaten liver. And even though we both have very high T3, we struggle to get our body temperature above 36,5 C

mostlylurking

Yes, it may be something like that that happened to us. We ate lots of OJ, Carrots and dairy last 6 months. And prior to that we have eaten liver. And even though we both have very high T3, we struggle to get our body temperature above 36,5 C
I have to soak/rinse my shredded carrots in a big bowl of water, then squeeze out the water to reduce the carotene before eating them or they make me feel pretty awful.

I noticed that when I was deficient in thiamine (fall 2020) I could not get my temperature up to normal even though I was taking prescription desiccated thyroid at an optimized dose. When I took my first larger dose of thiamine hcl (300-350mg), with water (not juice), my body temp went up a full degree to normal within 45 minutes. Oxidative metabolism doesn't work if you are thiamine deficient or if your thiamine function is blocked. Very high T3 = hyperthyroidism, causes thiamine to get used up = a thiamine deficiency.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

@Daniel North: I found a clip of Ray Peat talking about the importance of thiamine (B1) for liver function.

go here: bioenergetic search search for Thiamine.
This one:

kmud-080701-thyroid-and-polyunsaturated-fatty-acids​

00:39:54
The cholesterol is recycled and used for making the digestive bile acids or reused for making steroid hormones and such. But the liver can't process these things without adequate protein and B vitamins. Thiamine, B1, is one of the essentials for making the liver work efficiently. And a low thyroid function makes it impossible to use these B vitamins and protein, and so the liver, for any of these deficiencies, will fail to detoxify and allow estrogen to accumulate. The estrogen activates the mobilization of free fatty acids, exposes your arteries to more oxidative damage,

-end paste-
I suspect that because hyperthyroidism can cause a thiamine deficiency that it would also slow down the liver function.

Please note that several times in this collection of quotes the system mistakenly printed Thiamine instead of Methionine. Thiamine (B1) is good for you; methionine isn't and is grouped with tryptophan and cysteine in the quotes/clips.

Mauritio

She migth become tolerant - so she might have to increase the dose or she wont feel anything from it any longer. The liver upregulates the enzymes that metabolize progesterone, that is why Peat intended a break. But it would be interesting to know, if that is really what happens, so give it a shot.

Beatrix_

My GF gets so tired, negative image of herself, is depressed, and sleeps poorly
Sounds like hypothyroidism.
even though we both have very high T3, we struggle to get our body temperature above 36,5 C
This could be caused by low total T4. You guys should try to get a complete thyroid panel. Do you have dependable food sources of idodine?

OP
D

Daniel North

Forum Supporter
Sounds like hypothyroidism.
Yes
This could be caused by low total T4. You guys should try to get a complete thyroid panel. Do you have dependable food sources of idodine?
We both have high T4 and T3. We are so close the the highest reference range that we are almost above it. Our TSH is very low. So something is suppressing the T3.

@mostlylurking We can test out some Thiamine. I've read somewhere else here that thiamine depletes magnesium. So important to take it with magnesium as well.

Beatrix_

if you are sure that total T4 is high (I am not talking about free T4) then it could be lack of sensitivity in the receptors. Let's hope B1 does the trick.

Beatrix_

BTW if it is hyperthyroidism, B1 will surely help.

I guess in case of receptor insensitivitity it could in fact be considered a case of hyper. Did she lost weight and appetite?

Diogo

Go here: bioenergetic search, search for Olive Oil. There are a couple of hits that have Peat saying "a teaspoon or two a day" of olive oil is OK. My memory is strong for the 1/2 teaspoon statement, but I can't find it. Perhaps he got more lenient about the amount over time?

The concept that olive oil isn't good has been important to me because in 2014 when I found Peat, I was consuming quite a bit of olive oil daily (cooking with it, using it for salad dressings) and I think that it was one of the things that was making me sick.
Is there usually any hidden PUFA in olive oil that is not advertised on the label?
Is it something in it´s composition that guarantees 10% PUFA?
I´m sorry, I if I missing something but my 5L olive oil carboy says it has 6g of PUFA, only.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals