Caffeine Sensitivity, Pushing Through?

DaveFoster

why so? I thought it was the caffein causing trouble ?
I've too found that one cup of coffee seems to boost metabolism more than a much larger dose of caffeine (until getting into the 1200 mg range). It might have to do with the hot liquid, the magnesium, niacin, or other ingredients.

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Like exercice, when you push it to a point where you feel stress it has a net detrimental effect. In the study on lifespan, the optimal intake was 100-200mg every 4 hours, probably 100mg for most women. This isn't much and not likely to cause a stress, so you don't need to take that much caffeine to have most of its benefits. I know for estrogen and tsh lowering you need to take a bigger amount but methylene blue will do the same without the stress response.
Thanks for the info. How much coffee would i have to drink to get 100 mg caffeine?

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

Tea drinking cultures have taken tea that includes a lot of theanine for centuries.

I probably don't know enough about it to know how much to take and for how long. I am also worried about things like having some unpleasant side effects and with my hyperactive stress hormones I then imagine that it is doing some harm and feed my crazy imagination, so for these reasons at least for now I prefer just real food, except for the occasional aspirin, which has always been part of my culture, but am desperate to shake off this fear of supplements. I don't mind taking vitamins, but anything else I worry about so much. For now I am doing research and collecting info, making decisions later. :)

Last edited:

Tarmander

I would not immediately write off Theanine. I think it may be more complicated then just either "good" or "bad." I know when I first tried it years ago it made me terribly depressed, but using it in the last year or so I have had great effects from it.

Theanine Completely Abolishes The Cortisol Response To Stress In Humans

Theanine Restrains The Over-stimulating Effects Of Caffeine

Theanine Is An Antihistamine

Theanine Stops And Reverses The Stress Reaction (cortisol, Noradrenalin, Dopamine)

Theanine Both Reduces Serotonin And Increases Dopamine

OP
scarlettsmum

scarlettsmum

I would not immediately write off Theanine. I think it may be more complicated then just either "good" or "bad." I know when I first tried it years ago it made me terribly depressed, but using it in the last year or so I have had great effects from it.

Theanine Completely Abolishes The Cortisol Response To Stress In Humans

Theanine Restrains The Over-stimulating Effects Of Caffeine

Theanine Is An Antihistamine

Theanine Stops And Reverses The Stress Reaction (cortisol, Noradrenalin, Dopamine)

Theanine Both Reduces Serotonin And Increases Dopamine

Thank you for the links, I will certainly read up about it and look into it. Why did it make you depressed? Are you still using it or is it something you use only until you stop having stress reactions to coffee? Or once you stop, stress reactions to coffee return?

Thanks, hamster. Looks unfortunate.

well on the upside, thre are ways to suppress it (the study mentions them, they are too technical for me to understand without further research) and it may make l-theanine good for male erectile function.

Tarmander

Thank you for the links, I will certainly read up about it and look into it. Why did it make you depressed? Are you still using it or is it something you use only until you stop having stress reactions to coffee? Or once you stop, stress reactions to coffee return?

No idea why it made me depressed. I still take it every night for sleep. I'm sure you could use it temporarily to get through the stress reactions.

RePeatRePeat

The fact that it lowers serotonin and cortisol is good enough for me. I have found it remarkably helpful in reducing stress response.

artist

why so? I thought it was the caffein causing trouble ?
I've too found that one cup of coffee seems to boost metabolism more than a much larger dose of caffeine (until getting into the 1200 mg range). It might have to do with the hot liquid, the magnesium, niacin, or other ingredients.
Coffee doesn't boost my metabolism, just makes me very sick. I d0n't know why but I've read that it can interfere with zinc and/or b1. I get the biggest anti-estrogen/pro-thyroid boost from energy drinks personally

mujuro

Forum Supporter
I've recently discovered that I'm sensitive to coffee, but not isolated caffeine. I can down a coffee's equivalent in coke and I notice not a single change, whereas coffee will produce an excited restlessness. Also, when I drink coffee in the day and take my quetiapine at night, I get palpitations. When I drink coke, even if I drink it with the quetiapine, I will get nil palpitations. This may have something to do with the catechins in coffee rather than the xanthines.

RePeatRePeat

@mujuro, I wonder if the secret to the caffeine in coke not bothering you is because it is accompanied by massive amounts of sugar. You may need a lot more sugar in your coffee.

DaveFoster

I foolishly added back in coffee. Yesterday, 1 TSP (yes teaspoon). Today, 1.5 TSP. Too much; I feel terrible.

Diokine

I recently got sick from something I ate, and along with the general metabolic disruption, it also made me much less tolerant to coffee. I routinely drink the equivalent of 7-8 cups of coffee a day, and usually have zero issues from it. During the sickness, my body let me know that it did not want as much coffee. I normally have a very conditioned response to even smelling it, and that completely disappeared. It even tasted different. I also noticed a strong coffee smell in my urine that is never there.

I also think it is important to get quality coffee. I do tend to notice an uncomfortable feeling drinking cheap or over-roasted coffee.

haidut

Forum Supporter

haidut

Forum Supporter
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals