Butyric Acid From Fiber And Starch

michael94

Resistant starch is not like other starch. It doesn't get digested until the LI and seems to sweep away some bugs that don't belong in the small intest. Helps adjust the pH favorably in LI.

OP
javin

javin

Resistant starch is not like other starch. It doesn't get digested until the LI and seems to sweep away some bugs that don't belong in the small intest. Helps adjust the pH favorably in LI.
So do you see it as a good thing, or is it still rough on our system?

Amazoniac

- Fermentability of various fiber sources by human fecal bacteria

"Three healthy male donors served as sources of fecal material from which the inoculum was prepared. For 8 d before the onset of the experiment, fecal donors consumed > 20 g TDF/d. This level of consumption was ensured by consumption of commercial products containing mixtures of soluble and insoluble fibers."

"The inoculum was prepared from fecal material by mixing 20 g feces with 180 g anaerobic dilution solution (19) and then by blending and filtering through cheese cloth. The inoculum was prepared under carbon dioxide to maintain anaerobiosis."

"The fermentation was conducted by adding 30 mL medium and 1 mL inoculum to 50-mL centrifuge tubes that were fitted with one-way gas-release valves and that contained 0.31 g substrate (as is). Additions to tubes were made under a stream of carbon dioxide. Tubes were incubated at 37 °C."

1612446025606.png

- Uronic Acid - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

1612446040891.png
1612446046837.png

Amazoniac

- From apple to applesauce: Processing effects on dietary fibres and cellwall polysaccharides

Abstract said:
Modifications in dietary fibre content of apples during industrial processing into applesauce were investigated. Samplings with different post-harvest storage times were performed at five different processing steps (apple sorting, cooking, refining, sugaring and pasteurisation) and the samples examined for their insoluble, soluble and total fibre contents, following the AOAC method. Total fibres were also estimated through preparation of alcohol-insoluble solids and polysaccharide compositions of the various fibre residues were determined. Total fibre content decreased from apple to applesauce from 2.4 to 1.7 g for 100 g of fresh weight and the soluble fraction increased. Fibre loss and soluble/insoluble redistribution occurred during processing. Refining triggered a loss of insoluble polysaccharides whilst cooking and, surprisingly, sugaring led to pectin solubilisation and further degradation due to prolonged heating. These pectic changes, moreover, seemed to be dependent on the post-maturity stage of the apples.

Amazoniac

do you have any experience with powdered pectin? i mainly want an excuse to eat jams and preserves in which almost 100% of them use pectin as an additive
No, but there must be a fair reason for people to prefer the gelated texture. Pectin can feed pathogens, but its safety appears to be above average. This guy has some experiments comparing fibers. The lack of antimicrobials when it's purified is a concern, yet the rest of the meal can make up for it (the context should matter).

- The effects of different dietary fiber pectin structures on the gastrointestinal immune barrier: impact via gut microbiota and direct effects on immune cells

"Pectins have been isolated from the primary and secondary cell walls of many fruits and vegetables. The structure of pectin is dependent on several parameters, including the origin, the endogenous enzyme activity or the method of extraction [25]. Pectins are heteropolysaccharides consisting mainly of α-1,4-linked galacturonic acid (GalA) residues (Fig. 2). Some pectins consist of regions with only GalA molecules, which are known as homogalacturonans. Up to 70% of pectin molecules consist of homogalacturonan regions. In those regions, the GalA residues can be methyl-esterified at the C6 carboxyl group. GalA residues in pectins can also be acetylated at O-2 or O-3, as is commonly found in sugar beet pectins [25,33]. A certain percentage of the GalA residues of pectins can have attached methyl esters, and this percentage is known as the degree of methyl-esterification (DM). Pectins can be classified as low DM pectins (DM < 50%) or high DM pectins (DM > 50%) [34]. These methyl-esterified GalA residues can be differently distributed along the pectin molecule. The degree of blockiness (DB) determines the distribution of non-esterified galacturonic acid residues. Pectins with a high DB contain a more blockwise distribution of non-esterified GalA residues, whereas low DB pectins have a more random distribution of non-esterified GalA residues [35]. Homogalacturonan pectins have been isolated from several fruits and vegetables origins, including sunflower, citrus fruits, sisal, rice endosperm cell walls or apples [33]."

"In addition to homogalacturonan regions, pectins can contain other structural regions, such as xylogalacturonan, apiogalacturonan, rhamnogalacturonan I (RG-I) or rhamnogalacturonan II (RG-II) (Fig. 2). Xylogalacturonan regions are homogalacturonan structures substituted with xylose molecules. Apiogalacturonan regions are homogalacturonan structures with attached monosaccharide or disaccharide apioduranosyl. RG-I regions are based on disaccharide backbone structures of alternating galacturonic acid and rhamnose residues. The rhamnose residues in RG-I can be branched with neutral side chains consisting of galactose or arabinose. The GalA residues of RG-I are mostly non-methyl esterified. RG-II regions contain a different backbone than RG-I regions and consist of only galacturonic acid residues. RG-II molecules have complex pectin structures that may comprise up to 12 different branched sugar residues. These sugar molecules can be linked by 21 different glycosidic linkages, making RG-II molecules very complex [25,36]. Pectins containing regions with such a high number of neutral side chains have been isolated from many fruits and vegetables, including apples, sugar beets, apricots, carrots, cabbage, onions or pears [33]."

1629203339542.png

- Comparison of citrus pectin and apple pectin in conjugation with soy protein isolate (SPI) under controlled dry-heating conditions

"Despite the extensive availability of pectin in a number of plants, its commercial sources are quite limited. Today, 85.5% of the commercial pectin is originated from citrus peel and 14.0% is from apple pomace (Chan, et al., 2017)."

"The molecular information of [these] pectin samples is listed in Table 1."

1629203369482.png

"In the previous work (Ma, et al., 2016) we applied the SEC-HPLC in Mw analysis and determined the Mw of the same CP sample to be 485 kDa, which can be seen very similar to the result (478 kDa) analyzed by the SEC-MALLS-RI system in this study. As shown in Table 1, AP had a Mw 2.20-fold higher than CP with a higher polydispersity coefficient. On the other hand, the z-average RMS radius of gyration (Rz) is an important indicator for molecular size (Chen, et al., 2017). The Rz for CP and AP is 36.80 nm and 40.70 nm, respectively, indicating the larger size of the AP molecules. The higher values of Mw and Rz suggested a potentially more complex molecular structure of AP."

"Methoxy and acetyl groups are known to have significant influences on the steric-hindrance effect and hydrophobic nature of pectin samples, thus playing important roles in determining a series of pectin functionalities such as gelling, stabilizing and emulsifying properties (Lofgren, Guillotin, & Hermansson, 2006).The DM and DAc of pectin extracted from different sources can be varied and could result in diverse performance in the further conjugation with proteins. However, looking at Table 1, the two pectin samples used in this study can be seen have similar values of DM (54.63% and 58.06% for CP and AP, respectively) and DAc (1.56% and 1.23% for CP and AP, respectively). They are both high-methoxyl pectin (DM > 50%) with only a few GalUA residues being acetylated (DAc < 2%)."

"The monosaccharide compositions of CP and AP are listed in Table 1. Six monosaccharides, i.e. Rha, GalUA, Gal, Xyl, Ara and Fuc, were observed to comprise pectin samples (Glc was thought to be an impurity brought from the extraction process (Zhang, et al., 2013)). As a predominant composition that constitutes the backbone of the HG region, GalUA (in mol%) accounts for 68.19% and 57.02% in the CP and AP, respectively. The Xyl content can be seen significantly higher in AP (6.64%) than it was in CP (1.38%), implying a larger proportion of XG regions in the AP structure. The small amount of Fuc in both pectin samples is a composition from the RG-II region. On the other hand, Rha is from the main chains of the RG-I region, while Ara and Gal are from the neutral sugar side chains. Therefore, the ratio of Rha / GalUA can be used to indicate the proportion of the RG-I main chains and the ratio of (Gal + Ara) / Rha represents the amount of neutral sugar residues within the RG-I region. As can be seen, AP showed higher values in both ratios (especially in the ratio of (Gal + Ara) / Rha) when compared with CP. Combined with the lower content of GalUA, these results clearly demonstrated that AP had higher proportions of RG-I with particularly large numbers of neutral sugar side chains. This highly branched structure of AP could result in a strong steric-hindrance effect and further influence its conjugation with SPI."​

"Many studies have demonstrated that dietary pectin can influence the composition and diversity of the gut microbiota [27,101,102,103,104,105,106,107]. The genera Bacteroides and Prevotella are the primary pectin degraders, as they possess carbohydrate-active enzymes (CAZymes) within their polysaccharide utilization loci (PUL) [108]. These bacteria use lyases, methylesterases and acetylases to breakdown pectin molecules [109]. The breakdown substrates can be used by surrounding bacteria as growth substrates and thereby influence the composition of the microbial community [110]. Several in vitro and in vivo studies have reported that pectins induce distinct microbial compositions[27,101,102,103,104,105,106,107]. In vitro, it was shown that pectins can increase the abundance of Lactobacilli, Bacteroides and Prevotella [101,102,103]. Furthermore, some in vivo studies showed that pectins increase the abundance of Bacteroidetes, Clostridiales, Bacteroides, Lactobacilli and Prevotella, whereas other in vivo studies report that pectins decrease the abundance of Lactobacillus and Bacteroides spp. [27,104,105,106,107]. The inconsistencies in the composition of the microbial communities between the different studies may be related to the variations in initial microbiota composition, fermentation substrates or the influence of the host; however, a recent correlation study found that the impact by which pectins affect the composition of the microbial community strongly depends on the structural characteristics of pectins [31]."

"In a recent in vitro fermentation study, five structural characteristics of pectins were strongly linked to shifts in microbiota composition. The five structural characteristics included the DM of homogalacturonan regions, the composition of neutral sugars, the distribution of homogalacturonan and rhamnogalacturonan fractions, the degree of branching and the presence of amide groups [31]. This study suggested that DM is the most important regulator of microbiota composition [31]. The effect of DM has been demonstrated in other in vitro and in vivo studies [107,111,112]. DM8 and DM35 pectins were preferably metabolized by gut microbiota and induced a higher abundance of Bifidobacteria and Bacteroides than DM66, DM71 and DM93 pectins in fermentation studies [111,112]. In addition, both DM29 and DM53 pectins induced a higher abundance of Prevotella spp. and a lower abundance of Lactobacillus in the pig colon, but these effects were stronger with low DM pectins than with high DM pectins [107]. The differences in microbiota composition between low and high DM pectins may be related to their differences in digestibility. Low DM pectins are digested faster than high DM pectins, which is suggested to be due to the production of pectate lyases and methyl esterases that digest low DM pectins faster than high DM pectins [112]. Enzymatic degradation higher in the gastrointestinal tract of low DM pectins may lead to earlier availability of growth substrates for the microbiota than high DM pectins. Consequently, low DM pectins start inducing the growth of microbiota communities earlier in the gastrointestinal tract than high DM pectins [112,113]. In addition to DM-dependent effects of pectins, other in vitro fermentation studies confirmed that the RG-I structures and RG-I side chain structures, i.e., arabinan, galactan, oligoarabinosides, and oligogalactosides, of pectins were very efficient in stimulating the growth of Bifidobacteria [101,113]. Together, these results show that pectins can induce shifts in microbiota composition and that these shifts are mainly dependent on the DM or RG-I structures of pectins."

gaze

No, but there must be a fair reason for people to prefer the gelated texture. Pectin can feed pathogens, but its safety appears to be above average. This guy has some experiments comparing fibers. The lack of antimicrobials when it's purified is a concern, yet the rest of the meal can make up for it (the context should matter).
by purified you mean when its made into an additive/supp? is that the only difference between pectin in apples vs jams? I read somewhere that pectin in fruits naturally comes with a bit of pectinase, so when you cook apples with skins for examples they get soft vs stiff like a jam. But pectin itself is heat resistant so when its isolated without pectinase no amount of cooking will break it down. so in that case would there be a signifcant negative difference consuming pectin in apples vs jams/ supplement? is the lack of antimicrobials the only issue?

Amazoniac

by purified you mean when its made into an additive/supp? is that the only difference between pectin in apples vs jams? I read somewhere that pectin in fruits naturally comes with a bit of pectinase, so when you cook apples with skins for examples they get soft vs stiff like a jam. But pectin itself is heat resistant so when its isolated without pectinase no amount of cooking will break it down. so in that case would there be a signifcant negative difference consuming pectin in apples vs jams/ supplement? is the lack of antimicrobials the only issue?
Yes, that's what I meant.
Processing affects pectins and the industry standardizes the products.
I expect the enzymes to be inactivated by heat.
Since the industrial pectins are prepared from waste, maybe some impurity remains after refinement (Dinkov, 2021). There are pectins that contain sulfites.

You can find more information below (and on the poison A thread, if you search for the term):
- Re-evaluation of pectin (E 440i) and amidated pectin (E 440ii) as food additives (50 g :yipes)
- Pectin - Wikipedia

i mainly want an excuse to eat jam
@Jam

SamYo123

Oatbran fibers specifically, probably because of 18g per 100g.. reduces my beardruff from sugar, the question is how?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals