Blood Pressure. Arrrrgggg!

YuraCZ

beetroot the best remedy for high blood pressure.. If I eat 1 medium beetroot(around 200g) every day. My blood pressure will go down too much. I must be careful since I have lower bp.. Beets are so powerfull plants..

Atalanta

So I fell off the Peat Bandwagon briefly and my estrogen shot right up. I am back to peating (lots of milk, oj, salt, collagen, and coffee and add some eggs and liver, too. Back on progesterone, too. I found a functional medicine doc who is willing to do NDT with me, too. My blood pressure is through the roof! It all started back in April when I realized my estrogen had spiked AND I got a UTI . The UTI never really went away and my BP has not been good. Today it was 143/100. The doctor gave me a copy of the dash diet, which I recycled. I am walking an hour a day and doing yoga 2-3 times a week. I am not under much stress at all except for worrying about my blood pressure. I think the nurse today wanted to put me in a home and keep me safe.

Maybe you are ingesting too much liquids?
Caffeine, sodium and calcium can raise blood pressure.
Are you taking any supplements? Vitamin E and pregnenolone can raise blood pressure
Also Ray Peat has said citric acid can raise blood pressure.
Too much carbon dioxide(bag breathing) can raise blood pressure

If the Peat diet is raising your blood pressure, maybe it is not good for you?

OP
H

Hoodlt

Ok, so no headaches for 5 days now and BP is 118/76. Here is what I did. I play ice hockey and do some other intensive training. I started tracking data on cronomter. I don't do much milk and just make 2 glasses of oj. So...
1) calcium was low
2) sodium and potassium were low
3) stopped pregnenolone ... was
using 60mg a day with 5 mg dhea.
4) Upped my hydration with salt

I corrected the above and poof....headaches stopped and BP came right down.

Feeling great again!!
Not gonna try hockey, but can up the calcium, sodium and potassium...no problem. Will stop pregnenolene and increase salt. thanks!

OP
H

Hoodlt

beetroot the best remedy for high blood pressure.. If I eat 1 medium beetroot(around 200g) every day. My blood pressure will go down too much. I must be careful since I have lower bp.. Beets are so powerfull plants..
Just grated raw beets? I can totally try that!

OP
H

Hoodlt

Maybe you are ingesting too much liquids?
Caffeine, sodium and calcium can raise blood pressure.
Are you taking any supplements? Vitamin E and pregnenolone can raise blood pressure
Also Ray Peat has said citric acid can raise blood pressure.
Too much carbon dioxide(bag breathing) can raise blood pressure

If the Peat diet is raising your blood pressure, maybe it is not good for you?
BP went up while not Peating so I am back to Peating and it isn't going down.

YuraCZ

Yes.. But preferably not on empty stomach. Otherwise they can cause dizziness, headache, sore throat, nausea or even vomiting. I experienced all those reactions except vomiting. When I had no idea how strong beets are and I drank mybe 600ml of beetroot juice lol..

bluewren

Another thing to try is bag breathing twice a day. Ray has said this can reset blood pressure after a couple of weeks. It's an easy thing to try, and it helped my husband get off his BP meds.
Hope this helps.

skycop00

Another thing to try is bag breathing twice a day. Ray has said this can reset blood pressure after a couple of weeks. It's an easy thing to try, and it helped my husband get off his BP meds.
Hope this helps.
Excellent idea I have added in!!!!

Atalanta

From what I understand, blood pressure builds up when blood volume doesn't increase or decreases in the face of increased energy requirements. So drawing out blood should increase blood pressure.
Some of the most common things that increase blood pressure include high citric acid, low sodium, protein deficiency and hardening of the arteries.
Gradual increase in blood pressure in response to aging of the tissues is normal according to Peat and shouldn't be worrying.

I've never had blood pressure problems before few months ago when I ran into some.
The extra citric acid from OJ was part of it and my salt intake was not helping but the biggest offender for me was protein deficiency.

BP finally started to settle down after about a month of being diligent at neutralising citric acid, breathing Co2, taking Aspirin, not skimping on protein as well as maxing salt and K2.

It's easy to slip into a hypertensive quicksand when using too much of the metabolism boosting substances - things like thyroid, light, caffeine, Methylene Blue. These should carefully introduced and be accompanied with increased dietary intake.

How much protein were you ingesting in your protein deficient state?

How much K2 and aspirin did you take and do you believe you have hardening of the arteries?

Do you neutralize the citric acid in juice with baking soda?

OP
H

Hoodlt

Yes.. But preferably not on empty stomach. Otherwise they can cause dizziness, headache, sore throat, nausea or even vomiting. I experienced all those reactions except vomiting. When I had no idea how strong beets are and I drank mybe 600ml of beetroot juice lol..
I didn't read this part and found out the hard way. Yesterday was a busy day so before bed, I quickly downed a raw beet. NOT a good idea! I got the sore throat. I am good now but lesson learned. Thanks!

XPlus

How much protein were you ingesting in your protein deficient state?
Around 60-70gm a day. I feel I don't do well unless I eat at least a100gm a day.

How much K2 and aspirin did you take and do you believe you have hardening of the arteries?
For high blood pressure I didn't try more than 600mg of Aspirin and around 45mg of Vit K2.
No hardening of the arteries.

Do you neutralize the citric acid in juice with baking soda?
I usually do but at the time I used to drink a brand that's a little too acidic and wasn't diligent with adding baking soda.

Atalanta

Around 60-70gm a day. I feel I don't do well unless I eat at least a100gm a day.

For high blood pressure I didn't try more than 600mg of Aspirin and around 45mg of Vit K2.
No hardening of the arteries.

I usually do but at the time I used to drink a brand that's a little too acidic and wasn't diligent with adding baking soda.
Thanks!

I think that effect is due to their extremely high nitrate content which causes high nitric oxide production downstream, which lowers blood pressure through vasodilation, not the most peaty approach as nitric oxide is a cardinal toxin to oxidative metabolism.

XPlus

I think that effect is due to their extremely high nitrate content which causes high nitric oxide production downstream, which lowers blood pressure through vasodilation, not the most peaty approach as nitric oxide is a cardinal toxin to oxidative metabolism.
Interesting.

YuraCZ

I know that. Thats why is beetroot juice really popular in cycling for example. I was eating beets for their really good liver detox effect. But due to low blood pressure. I simply cant eat them anymore..

marteagal

These are great tips, though. Good place to start for someone who hasn't tried these yet. The fix seems to be highly variable.

Hey @keith, this post of yours is from June. Have you figured out what was leading to high blood pressure in your specific case? Would be great if you could share your approach.

keith

Hey @keith, this post of yours is from June. Have you figured out what was leading to high blood pressure in your specific case? Would be great if you could share your approach.

Nope, I haven't figured out anything yet. I've made lots of attempts Peaty and otherwise, including high dose K2, magnesium, 2 quarts of milk/day, high salt, low salt, salt to taste, garlic, extra potassium, chocolate, and probably lots of others that aren't coming to mind. I'll be sure to share if I figure anything out. The only things I've learned is that nothing seems to make much difference other than that methylene blue definitely seems to increase my BP, so if you are worried about BP, I might avoid that. Other than that, nothing seems to dependably move it up or down. Even stress doesn't seem to be a reliable predictor for me.

skycop00

I never had BP issues in my 53 years until about 6 months ago. I found the issue to be 2 things. Lack of Potassium and too much pregnenolone. I used chrono meter to measure daily electrolytes and shifted my intakes. Then I stopped pregnenolone daily and now only use Pansterone 2x daily. Poof, BP 117/76. Hope this helps

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals