Beets?

PeatFeat

Are raw beets a good replacement for raw carrot salad? They are both root vegetables, so wouldn't beets have the same anti-fungal properties as the carrot as well as additional antioxidants?

4peatssake

PeatFeat said:
Are raw beets a good replacement for raw carrot salad? They are both root vegetables, so wouldn't beets have the same anti-fungal properties as the carrot as well as additional antioxidants?

Interesting question to which I do not know the answer.

I wonder also about pickled beets? I used to love them but haven't eaten them in years.

Looking forward to hearing what others have to say about this.

Mittir

RP once mentioned that he recommends carrots and bamboo shoots because he has seen scientific studies on these two. Other fiber might have the same ability to detoxify but you need studies for that to be sure. I read few studies online, where they showed all kind of fibers lower estrogen in females. They measured total fiber intake of meals, not just one single food.
RP advises to avoid soluble fiber, and carrot and beet both have almost 50% soluble fiber. It is the antiseptic ability of carrot that helps to clean the intestine. You can always experiment on yourself. I have noticed the benefits of carrot salad within minutes.

4peatssake

Mittir said:
RP once mentioned that he recommends carrots and bamboo shoots because he has seen scientific studies on these two. Other fiber might have the same ability to detoxify but you need studies for that to be sure. I read few studies online, where they showed all kind of fibers lower estrogen in females. They measured total fiber intake of meals, not just one single food.
RP advises to avoid soluble fiber, and carrot and beet both have almost 50% soluble fiber. It is the antiseptic ability of carrot that helps to clean the intestine. You can always experiment on yourself. I have noticed the benefits of carrot salad within minutes.

Thanks Mittir - food for thought. ;)

I may experiment at some point, but still going with what's been tried and found true so far.

Jenn

Beets are an excellent source of potassium and they are what a lot of commercial HCL is made from. Good for stomach digestion. The fiber in beets is different than carrots and i not going to behave like raw carrots. Pickled beets are excellent! Homemade , not the HFCS kind.

Dutchie

Mittir said:
What insoluble fibers should you eat?simce thryre most iin leafy greens which he doesnt advice.maybe in shredded coconut?

Beets with cinnamon&fetacheese is delicious also

pboy

I think Beets may contain a little inulin being that they are a root veggie (fermentable non soluble fiber) , but they also increase blood, help liver move toxins, increase nitric oxide, and have decent b vitamin

So maybe a little gas, but I think a small amount wouldn't disturb you much or at all. Its up to you, even the carrot is unnecessary but while I do find having low fiber is nice, a hint of something that's sweeping / bulking going through is nice and tends to ease stool elimination. Id say peel the skins off the beets though, you wont be losing much if any nutrition and will decrease the likelihood of gas formation

Beebop

I know we're talking about fibre here, but once (before I found Peat), I drank a glass of beetroot juice (two whole juiced beetroots), and immediately got very strong unpleasant flu-like symptoms. Two of us drank this and both got identical reactions.
Symptoms were immediate sore throat, followed by nausea, headache, need to lie down. This could have been a strong detox. If so, the 'detox' lasted for a few days.

Take raw beetroot in small quantities is the lesson I learnt!

4peatssake

Jenn said:
Pickled beets are excellent! Homemade , not the HFCS kind.

Do you have a recipe for that by chance? I made dill pickles once - when I was in grade school, helping a mom who I babysat for. :?

4peatssake

Jenn said:
http://losingcreekfarm.blogspot.com/2010/08/pickled-beets.html

P.S. I no longer use the raw unfiltered vinegar, just the cheap ACV stuff from the store. I no longer add the cream of tartar either...I've personally caught up now. I no longer eat carrots either....but that's just me.

Awesome :thankyoublue

Velve921

I know we're talking about fibre here, but once (before I found Peat), I drank a glass of beetroot juice (two whole juiced beetroots), and immediately got very strong unpleasant flu-like symptoms. Two of us drank this and both got identical reactions.
Symptoms were immediate sore throat, followed by nausea, headache, need to lie down. This could have been a strong detox. If so, the 'detox' lasted for a few days.

Take raw beetroot in small quantities is the lesson I learnt!

I tried beet juice for the first time today, it gave me a small sour stomach and then it cleaned me out 2 hours after.

PeatThemAll

For those watching their NO levels, beets might be something to forfeit. They're in Dr. Esselstyn's top choices for endogenous (well, gut flora more specifically) NO increase. :2cents:

Amazoniac

Diokine

I wouldn't mind a touch of telepathy now and then...

The beets have been pleasant to drink, the warm water has an almost chicory taste. It's too soon to tell if it's helped digestion but I like to imagine that it does.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals