Ray Peat approved vegetables and fruit juices?

Eric Taylor

Anyone know the ray peat approved vegetables? I think zucchini and carrots are fine but what are the other ones to eat that are nutritious and not full of anti thyroid chemicals.

And as a side not the fruit juices that are ok as well? Good orange juice I know is fine but I was wondering if there was anything else you could drink for some variety.

-Luke-

He mentioned well-cooked broccoli and Brussels sprouts and turnips in a recent podcast. Technically, potatoes also count as vegetables. As far as juices go: grape juice, other citrus fruits like clementine or tangerine juice.

I think "well cooked" (in terms of vegetables) and "ripe" (in terms of fruit/juices) are more important to him than the type of vegetables/juices themselves, but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

J.R.K

He mentioned well-cooked broccoli and Brussels sprouts and turnips in a recent podcast. Technically, potatoes also count as vegetables. As far as juices go: grape juice, other citrus fruits like clementine or tangerine juice.

I think "well cooked" (in terms of vegetables) and "ripe" (in terms of fruit/juices) are more important to him than the type of vegetables/juices themselves, but I don't want to put words in his mouth.
I do recall that he was not very praising of beans, and lentils. But @Eric Taylor does pose a good question. I would concur with you @Luke that the cooking well is an important aspect that Dr Peat remains consistent on for digestion as well as for in the case of potatoes adding some butter and milk to prevent presorption of starch.
What I was unaware of though was the presence of oxilates in vegetables and am unsure if this is limited to certain vegetables or just leafy greens such as Swiss chard and spinach. I remember he mentioned cooking these two items would release the oxilates or make them a little more manageable for consumption and digestion, but it now raises a concern on using leafy greens as a source of magnesium and calcium.
But I consider raw carrots and well cooked white button mushrooms to be a staple in my personal regimen. But I have heard Dr Peat mention all mushrooms to be acceptable.

tastyfood

I remember he mentioned cooking these two items would release the oxilates or make them a little more manageable for consumption and digestion, but it now raises a concern on using leafy greens as a source of magnesium and calcium.

I just cooked collard greens, which I use a lot as a source of calcium, magnesium and vitamin K, in baking soda. Peat talked about this on th last podcast with Patrick Timpone. Oh boy, the color of the water after cooking was SO different. I don't know if that has to do with the baking soda removing the oxalates and putting them in the water, or if it's just different chemistry. The color of the cooked collards was also different.

J.R.K

I just cooked collard greens, which I use a lot as a source of calcium, magnesium and vitamin K, in baking soda. Peat talked about this on th last podcast with Patrick Timpone. Oh boy, the color of the water after cooking was SO different. I don't know if that has to do with the baking soda removing the oxalates and putting them in the water, or if it's just different chemistry. The color of the cooked collards was also different.
Interesting, thank you for sharing your results @tastyfood, do you think that the water would be a safe source of magnesium and calcium if the oxalates are in with the water and minerals, or does the baking soda reduce their danger.
The Patrick Timpone show was where I had got my information from as well.
Dr Peat is a wealth of information but I always find with every piece of information he shares it raises many more off shoot questions, the curse of a simple mind or is it a childlike curiosity for myself.
As per your name if I may ask how did the collards taste and eat, with the baking soda?
Collards are a favourite of mine so just curious how much baking soda your experiment used?

tastyfood

do you think that the water would be a safe source of magnesium and calcium if the oxalates are in with the water and minerals, or does the baking soda reduce their danger.

I'm not sure. The water looked very appetizing when I cooked them with just water. This time, with the added baking soda, the water looked really dark and I threw it down the sink.

I always find with every piece of information he shares it raises many more off shoot questions, the curse of a simple mind or is it a childlike curiosity for myself.

I think we are all feeling the same with the latest podcasts. It seems like things are getting more difficult to understand. I was all happy with my greens, and drinking the water before, which he had recommended often. He had said that the water from the greens contains as much vitamin and calcium as the greens themselves.

tastyfood

ask how did the collards taste and eat, with the baking soda?

More bland, the greens had less body, and they didn't turn as dark. All the darkness went to the water, and the greens stayed more green.

just curious how much baking soda your experiment used?

I didn't measure. Must have been a teaspoon more or less.

J.R.K

think we are all feeling the same with the latest podcasts. It seems like things are getting more difficult to understand. I was all happy with my greens, and drinking the water before, which he had recommended often. He had said that the water from the greens contains as much vitamin and calcium as the greens themselves
This was my understanding on drinking the water as well, do you think perhaps that perhaps the darkness was some of the chlorophyll or oxilates?

tastyfood

This was my understanding on drinking the water as well, do you think perhaps that perhaps the darkness was some of the chlorophyll or oxilates?
It's possible, but I don't know for certain. What's clear is that the amount of darkness was much higher compared to cooking with just water. I'll try to reach out to Peat to see if he can confirm something. I'll also post a picture here the next time I cook with the baking soda.

J.R.K

It's possible, but I don't know for certain. What's clear is that the amount of darkness was much higher compared to cooking with just water. I'll try to reach out to Peat to see if he can confirm something. I'll also post a picture here the next time I cook with the baking soda.
Thanks for your insights and observations @tastyfood hopefully Dr Peat will have some more information on this topic.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals