Beet Root Increases Nitric Oxide?

messtafarian

There's some talk around the net that eating beets or taking beetroot powder will increase the oxygen that gets into your blood, by taking the nitrate it contains and morphing it into NO2 which will then convert to NO, and increase athletic performance.

I am again perplexed. How could a substance like beetroot increase oxygen? Why is it a good thing that the nitrogen in it ( nitrogen is in all vegetables anyway isn't it? ) turns into NO? What does that have to do with oxygen?

Somebody?

Honestly the more I read out there the more weirded out I get.

Tarmander

I'm curious about beet root too. It seems to increase NO which would not be desirable. However I have heard of yogis who literally live off beats because of how nutritive they are. That is just anecdotal but it would be nice to see some more info on them.

J

jb116

It's good to look at NO in context. It's probably fine coming in small amounts from foods.
We must assume that since for example the raw carrot is peaty and yet it too is niitrate rich.
I think getting it from 'blue pills' or workout supplements is not safe.

YuraCZ

First and foremost beet root is epic liver detoxifier. This itself is Peat friendly I think. Other then that beets are very good for high BP. I have low BP. So I must be really careful heh. This combo with carrot and preferably with apple. I think you have ultimate salad for liver detox right there..
[bbvideo=560,315]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2XZiA_OSD4[/bbvideo]

tara

YuraCZ said:
post 106129 This combo with carrot and preferably with apple. I think you have ultimate salad for liver detox right there.
Grated carrot, beetroot and apple was popular fare in my vegetarian flatting days. Really tasty.

Last edited by a moderator: