Bacteria Have Eyes

haidut

Well, it is the entire bacteria actually that is an eye but still it is a pretty monumental discovery. I am waiting on a study that shows bacteria have emotions and then we can officially proclaim that the anthropomorphic principle is correct.

Bacteria 'see' like tiny eyeballs - BBC News

"...In a single-celled pond slime, they observed how incoming rays are bent by the bug's spherical surface and focused in a spot on the far side of the cell. By shuffling along in the opposite direction to that bright spot, the microbe then moves towards the light. Other scientists were surprised and impressed by this "elegant" discovery. Despite being just three micrometres (0.003mm) in diameter, the bacteria in the study use the same physical principles as the eye of a camera or a human."

"...In other words, bright light focused on one side of the bacterium definitely does drive it to run the other way - which under normal circumstances takes it towards the source of the light. In fact, because some amount of light is hitting the cell from all around, the team says that each microbe will have a "360-degree image" of its surroundings focused on the inside of its cell membrane."

"...That image is very fuzzy - with a resolution of about 21 degrees, compared to the 0.02-degree precision of our eyes - but it is enough for photoreceptor molecules, embedded in the cell membrane, to guide the bug's movement. For example, when the researchers shone two separate lights at the cells, they saw two focused bright spots and the bacteria appeared to integrate the information, heading off in an intermediate direction."

"...Commenting on the research, he told BBC News: "This was a mechanism that was missing. We didn't know it and it's a very elegant demonstration - and surprising. "Cyanobacteria are 2.7 billion years old, so it's much older than any animal eye. Presumably, this mechanism has existed for a very long time."

DrJ

Huh, very interesting. I assume you've seen the site on Cell Intelligence, since Peat has mentioned it...

http://www.basic.northwestern.edu/g-buehler/FRAME.HTM

One of the most fascinating reads I've had in a while. Where basically he's saying the centrioles act as crude eyes, and I have to run to work so can't dbl check but I want to say the centrioles had similar resolution to the 21 deg.

The cell is like a crystal...

Hugh Johnson

Well, it is the entire bacteria actually that is an eye but still it is a pretty monumental discovery. I am waiting on a study that shows bacteria have emotions and then we can officially proclaim that the anthropomorphic principle is correct.

Production of sound waves by bacterial cells and the response of bacterial cells to sound. - PubMed - NCBI

They seem to "talk".

Bacterial twitching motility is coordinated by a two-dimensional tug-of-war with directional memory : Nature Communications : Nature Publishing Group

They apparently have a memory and complex cooperative structures.

Phys. Rev. E 85, 011914 (2012) - Evolution and stability of altruist strategies in microbial games

They fight wars.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/06/090617131400.htm

They can learn and plan ahead.

Those things are smarter than I am. Still, I don't think it's enough to establish the anthropomorphic principle. Even if it is my working hypothesis.

Last edited:

Blossom

Vegans might have to reconsider fermented foods.

tara

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P Vitamin B12 Facilitates the Retroconversion of Estrogens into Androgens by Bacteria Scientific Studies 3
TheBeard The delusion of "good bacteria" Digestion 56
Hgreen56 Anti-Peat Study reveals how sugars wipe out important bacteria in gut Debate - Anti-Peat 16
DANIEL Anti-Peat If There's Bacteria in Human Breastmilk, Why Do Haidut and Peat Push the Sterile Gut Nonsense? Debate - Anti-Peat 71
GorillaHead Dandruff Is Not Caused By Fungi. But Bacteria! Skin Biome ! Scientific Studies 19
MaxVerstappen Bacteria And Viruses Don't Cause Disease Viruses, Parasites, Fungus, Vaccines 3
Pointless Scientists Find 'secret Molecule' That Allows Bacteria To Exhale Electricity Scientific Studies 2
C What To Do When Your Gut Bacteria Love Protein Digestion 20
meatbag Cooperative Bacteria Thrive Scientific Studies 0
James Myatt Bacteria Or Sibo Diet 6
J Can Fiber Be Fully/Largely Digested By Gut Bacteria? Digestion 3
RealNeat Gut Bacteria Eat Colon Lining When Starved For Fiber Health 4
RealNeat COVID Riddle Solved, It's Not The Virus It's The Bacteria Health 83
johnwester130 Presenting A New Theory For Baldness - Gut Bacteria Hair & Nails 37
S All Bacteria Is Bad? Articles 5
P How Do You Get Rid Of Sulphur Producing Bacteria? Digestion 25
yerrag Seborrheic Dermatitis (SD) And Periodontal Bacteria - My Hypothesis Hair & Nails 7
S Selectively Feeding Beneficial Bacteria In A State Of Dysbiosis Ask For Help or Advice 16
Mito Can Oral Bacteria Affect The Microbiome Of The Gut? Articles & Scientific Studies 0
Lokzo Gut Bacteria Increases Resting Levels Of Both Hepatic And Muscular Glycogen Scientific Studies 3
haidut Serotonin (due To Bacteria) Is The Master Regulator Of Metabolism, Insulin Sensitivity, And Weig Scientific Studies 31
Mauritio Serotonin Itself Alters The Microbiome, Central Role Of Only 2 Bacteria Species Articles & Scientific Studies 4
methylenewhite Alcohol-producing Gut Bacteria Could Cause Liver Damage Even In People Who Don't Drink Scientific Studies 2
Insaneacinamide Pro Bodybuilder Explains His Stomach/digestive/bloat Issues Due To Bacteria/LPS Digestion, Gut Flora 53
L Citrus Farmers Facing Deadly Bacteria Turn To Antibiotics, Alarming Health Officials Articles & Scientific Studies 1
raysputin Is Alzheimer’s Caused By Bacteria? Mental Issues 0
haidut All Gut Bacteria Dangerous, Its Endotoxin Drives Liver Cancer; Antibiotics Cure Scientific Studies 133
Captain_Coconut Saturated Fat Allows Bacteria To Translocate Health 61
JanP Is Killing Off Mouth Bacteria Beneficial For Long Term Dental Health? Ask For Help or Advice 32
Light Rethinking Gut Bacteria Discussing Dietary Models 5
Mito Essential Oils From Garlic And Other Herbs Kill 'persister' Lyme Disease Bacteria Articles & Scientific Studies 3
S How And Why Our Bodies Starve Gut Bacteria Digestion, Gut Flora 9
C Sulphur-reducing Bacteria Digestion 24
Hans Coconut Oil Increases Gut Bacteria Diversity And Improves Immunity And Insulin Sensitivity Coconut Oil 12
D What Type Of Bacteria Cause The Most Endotoxin Load? Digestion 17
L Depletion Of Micobiome Bacteria With Antibiotics Increased Insulin Sensitivity Scientific Studies 3
T I Need A Quick Way To Lower Endotoxin, Bacteria, Inflammation And Serotonin In The Gut Ask For Help or Advice 13
T Cell-like Nanorobots Clear Bacteria And Toxins From Blood Scientific Studies 0
walker_in_aus Gelatin As Bacteria Medium Ask For Help or Advice 1
Constatine Serotonin Makes Bacteria More Pathogenic Scientific Studies 2
SOMO Can DMSO Introduce Bacteria/Fungi Into The Bloodstream? Ask For Help or Advice 7
haidut Pancreatic Cancer Driven By Bacteria/endotoxin; Antibiotics Can Prevent/treat Scientific Studies 14
haidut Gut Bacteria May Cause ALL Autoimmune Conditions; Antibiotics Can Cure Scientific Studies 249
Amazigh Gut Bacteria & Autoimmune Disease Articles & Scientific Studies 1
haidut Environment (diet), Not Genetics, Mainly Shapes Gut Bacteria Composition Scientific Studies 30
haidut Rheumatoid Arthritis May Be Caused By The Same Bacteria That Causes Crohn's Scientific Studies 15
haidut The Brain Damage In Cases Of TBI May Be Partially Driven By Gut Bacteria Scientific Studies 1
Zpol Methanogen Bacteria Responsible For Risk Of CVD Assoc. PC (choline, TMAO) Scientific Studies 19
Amazoniac The Influence Of Intestinal Bacteria Upon The Thyroid Gland (1923) Digestion, Gut Flora 10
haidut Fungi / Bacteria, Not Autoimmunity, Cause IBD (Chron's, UC) And IBS Scientific Studies 51