Babies

tara

HDD said:
Yes, it was a hypoglycemia episode. She has had them for many years but hasn't found Peat. :( A coffee/donut breakfast threw her off and so she ate eggs which ultimately made it worse. Once she bottoms out I don't know what can stop her from passing out? I used to work with a diabetic that kept a snickers candy bar in his desk drawer for emergencies. I wonder if that might be an option? Have you had any experiences where you pass out?
I have never passed out from hypoglycemia, but I've felt close a few times a long time ago.
I wonder whether a tsp of honey would work as a quick palatable high density sugar fix? It should dissolve pretty quick in the mouth even if she passed out.
I keep dates and/or crystalised ginger at hand eg in car glovebox so I always have something for fast sugar if I need it. They keep well. Or chocolate, but not in the glovebox in summer:):

OP
H

HDD

That's a good idea, Tara. She thought she needed protein, but the eggs just made her worse. I wonder if she had honey instead if it could have stopped the crash. I'm going to suggest she keep some of your ideas in her purse.

sarahevebee

HDD said:
Yes, it was a hypoglycemia episode. She has had them for many years but hasn't found Peat. :( A coffee/donut breakfast threw her off and so she ate eggs which ultimately made it worse. Once she bottoms out I don't know what can stop her from passing out? I used to work with a diabetic that kept a snickers candy bar in his desk drawer for emergencies. I wonder if that might be an option? Have you had any experiences where you pass out?

Hair loss is one of the reasons my daughter is taking the Progest-e and she has taken a little of my t3 that I purchased online. She thought the progesterone might have increased her milk supply but she thinks it also could be from pumping. Her hair loss has not stopped. How much Progest-e do you think you need? My daughter has many hypo symptoms but isn't keen on hearing about the thyroid.

I (thankfully) have never passed out from a hypoglycemia episode, but I came very near to it once as an adolescent. My worst episodes always started out with me feeling shaky, getting a headache and having some dizziness...then I would turn into a crazy person with a horrible mood, saying things I didn't mean and feeling angry and emotional in general. Extremely embarassing, after the fact. The ONLY thing that has ever helped me during an episode is a mixed meal (usually only after persuaded to eat, or forced to eat...What is it about hypoglycemia that makes me unable to recognize what I need to feel better???) I can't have just sugar, or just protein. The absolute best combination for me is cheese and fruit.

As for the progesterone...I am now taking what is probably about 4 drops a day (2 in the morning and 2 at night) and am feeling alright. I went about a week without taking any (I had my period twice after Abby was born, in a regular manner, like clockwork...so I thought I would stop taking it at the start of menses but my menses didn't start when it was supposed to...) but I don't think I will do that again...I had migraines almost every day that week and my hair is still shedding :( I'm told to count on extreme irregularity with my cycles, so I figure there shouldn't be any harm in taking progest-e every day, right? ...I think maybe it's time for me to start a postpartum thread! Or is this stuff tied in with babies? I mean...I wonder how the progesterone affects nursing...I haven't seen an increase in supply after taking progest-e but is it supposed to happen that way?
Also...what are the effects of taking thyroid while nursing? It seems like that would increase supply as well...

Oh! And what does everyone think about taking aspirin while nursing? Is Reye's syndrome really a threat? Aspirin helped me very much before getting pregnant, but I stopped taking it because of all the scary info out there.

tara

sarahevebee said:
I (thankfully) have never passed out from a hypoglycemia episode, but I came very near to it once as an adolescent. My worst episodes always started out with me feeling shaky, getting a headache and having some dizziness...then I would turn into a crazy person with a horrible mood, saying things I didn't mean and feeling angry and emotional in general. Extremely embarassing, after the fact. The ONLY thing that has ever helped me during an episode is a mixed meal (usually only after persuaded to eat, or forced to eat...What is it about hypoglycemia that makes me unable to recognize what I need to feel better???) I can't have just sugar, or just protein. The absolute best combination for me is cheese and fruit.
I recognise the shakiness and mood. There's a thread somewhere about 'hangry'. And a pretty effective migraine trigger, meaning that being an hour late with food could ruin the next three days.

I agree that a mixed meal is needed, and just sugar won't solve the problem in any sustainable way - protein required too.

But once it's gone so far that someone is on the point of fainting, and they need something this instant that will maintain or restore consciousness, honey can be absorbed even if they faint, and before they can microwave a potato and fry an egg (an occasional fast mixed meal for me), and then actually chew and swallow it. It's not always easy to have mixed food at hand when you need it. Now that I'm drinking milk again, it's easier. I had a period of a few months years ago when I would occasionally be literally unable to swallow the food I was trying to eat (pre-Peat, mostly avoiding sugar). I would get food halfway down my gullet and it wouldn't go any further. I'd try washing it down with water and just be more stuck. The only way out was to get it to reverse, which was both difficult and unpleasant, especially if I was out and about. I found it quite scary when it was happening. I went to an ENT, who checked me out and said there didn't seem to be anything serious wrong, it just happens sometimes, and it will probably go away by itself, which it did. I now think it was probably a symptom of reduced metabolism and malnutrition, and I guess that if I'd tried drinking some juice or sucking on honey, that might have got the energy up enough to to be able to eat more food again. I used to sometimes get too tired to eat and too hungry to sleep at the same time. A few dates can be the difference for me between safe or unsafe driving home.

sarahevebee said:
Oh! And what does everyone think about taking aspirin while nursing? Is Reye's syndrome really a threat? Aspirin helped me very much before getting pregnant, but I stopped taking it because of all the scary info out there.

sarahevebee

But once it's gone so far that someone is on the point of fainting, and they need something this instant that will maintain or restore consciousness, honey can be absorbed even if they faint, and before they can microwave a potato and fry an egg (an occasional fast mixed meal for me), and then actually chew and swallow it. It's not always easy to have mixed food at hand when you need it.
Um..yeah I hadn't thought about how chewing and swallowing are sort of impossible while just having fainted! Ha. Good thinking, Tara. Also...Hangry!! Yes!! That is totally how I get. I can't believe I haven't heard that before.
Oh and did you mean to answer my question about Aspirin? Or was that an accidental bit of quote left in your post? I'm still wondering about the Aspirin :)

Diane - How is your daughter doing? Is her hair still shedding? Your t3 helping her at all?
I'm super curious because my hair loss will not let up (if it keeps up like this, I will have noticeable male-pattern type receeding hairline bald spots come January,) my weight hasn't budged (I'm still 25 lbs over my pre-preg weight,) I keep getting bad bouts of migraines for a few days every month, I'm exhausted all the time, having mood swings...hard time sleeping...and to top it all off my friends are starting to comment that I might have postpartum depression :( I had read K. Dalton's book about it while pregnant, which is why I've been taking progest-e...but I'm thinking I don't have adequate thyroid...and so perhaps I should back off with the progesterone until I know my thyroid is ok...I'm scared to stop taking it though, because it's the only thing (besides good food) that can level out my mood within a matter of minutes. I've been to a doctor about all of this and he told me I was slightly overweight, should cut my hair short since it's falling out, eat more fruits and veggies and exercise every day. I insisted on getting labwork done and a referral to an endocrinologist, and he (thankfully) obliged but I haven't gotten any results back from the lab...
Has your daughter been to a doctor at all? I made a deal with my other half that if the endocrinoligst I see insists I'm normal...I can order thyroid online.

Side note - I'm getting ready to feed my sweet baby girl solids! In-laws are visiting around the same time, which means I may have to make a list of OK foods for baby. Definitely going to print out that study Lucy posted too :)

tara

Sorry, the aspirin question left in was accidental - I'm afraid I don't know. I was advised against it by dr when pregnant and breastfeeding, and went along with it - hadn't heard of Peat at that time. I used ibuprofen to slightly blunt migraines - dr thought it was the best option while breastfeeding, because my symptoms were severe. I wasn't going to inflict triptans on baby, and never got organised enough to have a store of pumped milk to cover 3 days withholding.

Sorry about the migraines. That's tough when you have a little one. I got a break from mine for the second half of my pregnancies, and then they returned with vengence post-partum. When the child's father was away, I used to put a mattress on the floor and sleep with baby, so I could have him nearby for feeding and comfort (his and mine :)), and he could climb in and out of bed safely himself whatever state I was in.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about avoiding progesterone supp till you get the thyroid sorted, because if you have already been using it, you are probably past the risk point. IIRC, it's when you first start taking progest-e that it can trigger unloading stored thyoid hormones a bit fast. So if it was going to happen, it probably already has. You could try taking more and see if that helps.
I suspect sleep-deprivation might account for quite a lot of 'post-natal depression', along with hormonal effects, and the complete change of one's entire life, and the isolation etc that can easily happen. I remember being told to always sleep when the baby sleeps, but of course that's not always possible.
As and when you can, sleep, sunshine, a gentle walk in pleasant surroundings, lots of food (I had to have snacks by the bed to avoid morning sickness long after baby was born). If coffee doesn't make your migraines worse (it is risky for me), it might make a better anti-depressant than most.

Solids is fun. I remember mine being delighted and eager for more when I first gave him pureed mutton at about 6 mths. And then when he was starting with a spoon, there was some really glorious textural face and body painting. :)

OP
H

HDD

sarahevebee said:
Diane - How is your daughter doing? Is her hair still shedding? Your t3 helping her at all?
I'm super curious because my hair loss will not let up (if it keeps up like this, I will have noticeable male-pattern type receeding hairline bald spots come January,) my weight hasn't budged (I'm still 25 lbs over my pre-preg weight,) I keep getting bad bouts of migraines for a few days every month, I'm exhausted all the time, having mood swings...hard time sleeping...and to top it all off my friends are starting to comment that I might have postpartum depression I had read K. Dalton's book about it while pregnant, which is why I've been taking progest-e...but I'm thinking I don't have adequate thyroid...and so perhaps I should back off with the progesterone until I know my thyroid is ok...I'm scared to stop taking it though, because it's the only thing (besides good food) that can level out my mood within a matter of minutes. I've been to a doctor about all of this and he told me I was slightly overweight, should cut my hair short since it's falling out, eat more fruits and veggies and exercise every day. I insisted on getting labwork done and a referral to an endocrinologist, and he (thankfully) obliged but I haven't gotten any results back from the lab...
Has your daughter been to a doctor at all? I made a deal with my other half that if the endocrinoligst I see insists I'm normal...I can order thyroid online.

Hi Sarah, my daughter stopped taking the Progest-e and t3. She thought the Progest-e made her more emotional and the t3 made her gain weight. She did not take them for very long but she is not very consistent with her diet. She thinks sugar is evil, eats raw kale and salmon, and assorted chips, etc. I do not try to push anything. She started taking biotin for hair loss. It may be working because she has stopped talking about her hair shedding. She has not gone to the Dr. because she does not accept her different symptoms as hypothyroidism. I think she is just accustomed to not feeling well. She is very social and on the go so this may compensate. ? Her temps are very low. The bottoms of her feet are orangish. Exhausted. Of course, not sleeping at night because of nursing baby is a big part of that.

Hazel has started on solids. My daughter started with chicken broth. She also eats fruits and has had yellow squash. We took a video of her eating squash. She made such hilarious faces like the ones I make eating liver. :lol: Hazel's Dr. recommended avocado. :shock: I told my daughter that I wouldn't give her avocado because there is something about them that is not good. I think it is the omega 6 and large amount of beta carotene. I have eaten a lot of avocado in the past as has my daughter, so it is hard to think of it as harmful. I just trust that if Ray Peat says something specific about a food then he has a good reason.

If you continue breastfeeding, your weight will start dropping off at around 6 months. That was always my experience.

Beebop

Hi just wanted to join in this thread - I am also having post-partum hairloss :( I want to try rubbing progest-e into my scalp for several days in a row, and also try topical T3 to see if that does anything. One application of each hasn't done anything yet. I'm guessing the change from really high progesterone to 'back to normal' progesterone causes it, plus the extra prolactin.

How is your hair loss Sarahevebee?

And how are the solids going with all the babies? :)

OP
H

HDD

Congratulations, Beebop!

Hazel is 10 months old now. Time flies with babies!! My daughter started giving Hazel raw goat milk a few months ago because her breastmilk supply seemed to be diminishing. Hazel loves and has gained weight quite nicely on it. Her favorite solid food in the beginning was soft- boiled egg yolk. She went crazy for them. She does not care for too many veggies alone but eats the little packets that have fruit and veggies. The latest that my daughter picked up from the health food store was a combination that included chia seeds :? . She still drinks chicken broth. Sometimes with a small amount of frozen shaved beef liver. She is still breastfeeding, too. No teeth yet. :D

tara

HDD said:

Looks like she's got lots of good advice.
But 2500 cals looks like really undereating for breastfeeding.
1000 cals more than a normal diet has to be more than 3000, probably closer to 3500.
If this was 1000 cals more than she usually ate, and it was a struggle to eat that much, then she's probably been undereating for a while.

OP
H

HDD

Yes, I see what you are saying.

Emma said:
"In fact, energy intake should increase by at least 200 calories during pregnancy and 1000 plus during nursing. I’ve done best consuming 2,500 calories plus; It’s felt like a full time job just trying to eat enough food lately."

A little further down she has this quote.

“Studies have shown that most healthy breastfeeding women maintain an abundant milk supply while taking in 1800-2200 (or more) calories per day. Consuming less than 1500-1800 calories per day (most women should stay at the high end of this range) may put your milk supply at risk, as may a sudden drop in caloric intake.“ - Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

I think my daughter ran into problems with her milk supply when she would worry about her weight and restrict calories.

tara

HDD said:
Yes, I see what you are saying.

Emma said:
"In fact, energy intake should increase by at least 200 calories during pregnancy and 1000 plus during nursing. I’ve done best consuming 2,500 calories plus; It’s felt like a full time job just trying to eat enough food lately."

A little further down she has this quote.

“Studies have shown that most healthy breastfeeding women maintain an abundant milk supply while taking in 1800-2200 (or more) calories per day. Consuming less than 1500-1800 calories per day (most women should stay at the high end of this range) may put your milk supply at risk, as may a sudden drop in caloric intake.“ - Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC

I think my daughter ran into problems with her milk supply when she would worry about her weight and restrict calories.

I guess if mum eats 1800-2200 cals, and it's not a big drop from usual, her milk supply may not be threatened because the additional nutrient requirements will come out of her own body reserves. The only people for whom 1800 - 2200 cals is a 1000 cal increase were anorexic to begin with (or starving for some other reason).

I figure if I'd eaten more (by not restricting sugar) I might have gotten to sleep through the night with fewer night time feeds.

Beebop

I'm not counting calories but definitely eating plenty and loving it :)
I wonder even if the estimate to eat 1000 extra a day is modest, and how was that calculated. I figure, when lactating and caring for a baby, AND sleep deprived, then if I'm hungry, eat, eat and eat some more!

I like that site - it's well linked, she credits Peat and she's dealing with issues like pregnancy :) I wish she'd write more!

tara

Beebop said:
I figure, when lactating and caring for a baby, AND sleep deprived, then if I'm hungry, eat, eat and eat some more!
:D

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals