Any point in taking DHEA at 5mg?

Connor888

From what I can tell most people use 15-25mg. That's what the internet suggests too. After speaking with a DHEA seller they suggested me 5mg of DHEA at age 25. I am trying to restore my lost libido and warm up my body since I am cold all the time. My T has always been in the bottom part of the range as well. I'm just thinking 5mg seems like such a small amount though. I would like to know if it COULD make a difference. Has anyone got any < 5mg DHEA experiences to share?

Thanks

youngsinatra

Have you ever measured your serum DHEA?

I had high-ish serum DHEA-S and almost nonexistent libido.

I‘d rather try to resolve hypothyroidism. Low thyroid is a cause for low testosterone.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

Have you ever measured your serum DHEA?

I had high-ish serum DHEA-S and almost nonexistent libido.

I‘d rather try to resolve hypothyroidism. Low thyroid is a cause for low testosterone.
My libido is non-existent as well. I'm not sure what it is. I have spent such a long time experimenting with different brands and types of thyroid but never saw any results from it. And my basal temps never changed on it either. I got as high as 4-5 grains at one point but still had icy cold hands feet & body.

I had my dhea measured awhile ago and it was in the normal range. I just thought maybe I needed more which could explain the symptoms I'm getting.

youngsinatra

My libido is non-existent as well. I'm not sure what it is. I have spent such a long time experimenting with different brands and types of thyroid but never saw any results from it. And my basal temps never changed on it either. I got as high as 4-5 grains at one point but still had icy cold hands feet & body.

I had my dhea measured awhile ago and it was in the normal range. I just thought maybe I needed more which could explain the symptoms I'm getting.
Do you have high cortisol possibly? That can significantly increase reverse T3 and cause thyroid resistance, which can make one feel hypo even on high doses of thyroid.

Ever tried pregnenolon?

Wayne J

From what I can tell most people use 15-25mg. That's what the internet suggests too. After speaking with a DHEA seller they suggested me 5mg of DHEA at age 25. I am trying to restore my lost libido and warm up my body since I am cold all the time. My T has always been in the bottom part of the range as well. I'm just thinking 5mg seems like such a small amount though. I would like to know if it COULD make a difference. Has anyone got any < 5mg DHEA experiences to share?

Thanks
Soem sources say that over 5-10 mg of DHEA may change into estrogen, thus defeating the purpose of taking dhea.

Korven

My mom has an autoimmune issue that she is taking corticosteroids to manage. We got blood work done and she had below reference range DHEA levels, probably due to her being >60 years old but also the adrenal suppression from prednisone. I gave her 5 mg DHEA per day and it was enough to boost her levels to normal. It may be helping her wean of prednisone but not sure.

This might not be relevant for a 25 year old male wanting higher libido... but there you go. :lol:

GreekDemiGod

DHEAs should be high in young males, except high cortisol, overtraining, high stress situations.
From my understanding, taking DHEA is wise when you have low DHEA-s levels in the blood.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

My mom has an autoimmune issue that she is taking corticosteroids to manage. We got blood work done and she had below reference range DHEA levels, probably due to her being >60 years old but also the adrenal suppression from prednisone. I gave her 5 mg DHEA per day and it was enough to boost her levels to normal. It may be helping her wean of prednisone but not sure.

This might not be relevant for a 25 year old male wanting higher libido... but there you go. :lol:
I find it surprising that 5mg was enough to correct the deficiency but that's good to know thanks. I will definitely start on no more than 5-10mg I think to see if it helps then.

5mg is a safe and effective amount. You may get worse or better results, as you increase it up to 15mg, but many people, even after 5mg, get an increase in estrogen.

Wayne J

I find it surprising that 5mg was enough to correct the deficiency but that's good to know thanks. I will definitely start on no more than 5-10mg I think to see if it helps then.
Wish you luck ! am in same boat and thyroid problems as well. Going to give cytomel a try.

OP
Connor888

Connor888

5mg is a safe and effective amount. You may get worse or better results, as you increase it up to 15mg, but many people, even after 5mg, get an increase in estrogen.
Could 5mg boost T at all do you think? And help with flat mood/anxiety?

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Soem sources say that over 5-10 mg of DHEA may change into estrogen, thus defeating the purpose of taking dhea.
  • Young people produce about 12 to 15 milligrams of DHEA per day, and that amount decreases by about 2 mg. per day for every decade after the age of 30. This is one of the reasons that young people eat more without getting fat, and tolerate cold weather better: DHEA, like the thyroid hormone, increases our heat production and ability to burn calories. At the age of 50, about 4 mg. of DHEA per day will usually restore the level of DHEA in the blood to a youthful level. It is important to avoid taking more than needed, since some people (especially if they are deficient in progesterone, pregnenolone, or thyroid) can turn the excess into estrogen or testosterone, and large amounts of those sex hormones can disturb the function of the thymus gland and the liver.
  • People who have taken an excess of DHEA have been found to have abnormally high estrogen levels, and this can cause the liver to enlarge, and the thymus to shrink.

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
You might want to read this:

japanesedude

oral DHEA is hit and miss to me.even at low dose. Its good for improved mood and antistress but It's not that androgenic unless if I take it with Zinc or Niacinamide or exemestane.
topical DHEA on the other hand is very androgenic. I can feel that It converts straight to DHT.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals