Long term DHEA supplementation doubles androgens and progesterone in males

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

That's a pretty tiny sample size. What are the known negative effects of coming off DHEA? Does it reduce production of DHEA itself? What about FSH?

Sci-Hub, homie.
It doesn't work anymore.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

I'll try a VPN.
Interestingly that worked . I switched my location to USA west coast and it worked. Maybe they have some kind of a ban in germany /europe because of the current lawsuit against sci hub.

OP
Mauritio

Mauritio

Pretty sure I read the same study a while back. The males were already on TRT if I remember correctly.
So now I can safely say the men were not an TRT . They were on no medication 6 months prior .
I think you were referring to the women ,of which the majority were on HRT .

"Volunteers were recruited by advertisement. Nineteen subjects,aged 50–65, entered into the study; ten menopausal women (mean 54.
5 6 1.2 years) and nine men (mean 55.
6 6 1.9 years).
All subjects were non-obese, non-smokers with a body mass index (BMI) of 20–28 kg/m2 (mean, 23.2 6 0.7 kg/m2 forwomen; 26.2 6 0.6 kg/m2 for men). They were on no medications for at least 6 months before the study and had stable dietary and exercise regimens. Current medical illness was
excluded by history, physical examination, blood chemistryprofile (including renal, liver and thyroid function tests),
urinalysis and complete blood count. All subjects had normal baseline Beck Depression Inventory (Lyness et al., 1995).
Three subjects (2 women and 1 man) withdrew for personal reasons during the placebo phase of the study, prior to receiving
DHEA. Of the remaining eight postmenopausal women, seven
women were taking a daily oestrogen or oestrogen/progestagen
as hormone replacement therapy (HRT) and one woman was on no hormonal therapy. The protocol was approved by the Committee on Investigations Involving Human Subjects of the University of California-San Diego and all subjects gave oral and written informed consent."

sunny

Already posted, and I think more than once.

Also, here is why one would not want to take more than 15mg DHEA daily.

As far as using pregnenolone only - it may work.

That being said, adding just 5mg DHEA to the larger pregnenolone does drastically increases its effects and the conversion downstream.
@Highserotonin90

Kvothe

I'm not sure if this study has been posted before , at least I haven found anything under the "DHEA" tag.
Anyways, it's always good to have more in vivo evidence for peaty substances and what they do in real life.

This study gave aging men with partial androgen deficiency (58-69)the "low dose" of 25mg DHEA for one year.

First of all the scores for tiredness , depression amd joint pain were less then half of what they were before the DHEA treatment.
So they also subjectively felt a difference .
View attachment 24594

The hormonal values are also very interesting:
DHEA : tripled
DHEA-S : quadrupled
TESTOSTERONE (total): almost doubled
TESTOSTERONE FREE: more than doubled
DHT: doubled
PROG: doubled
ALLOPREGNANOLONE: almost doubled
ANDROSTENEDIONE: almost doubled
17ohP : doubled
SHBG : slightly decreased
E1: doubled
E2 : more than doubled
LH+FSH: slightly decreased
CORTISOL :stayed the same
GH: more than doubled
View attachment 24596View attachment 24597View attachment 24598

It increases all beneficial hormones across the board , so I'm not surprised the men also subjectively felt a lot better .
The increase in estrogen is worrisome, although estrogen antagonists like progesterone, dht and allopregnanolone also increased just as much , so the rise in estrogen isn't unopposed.
To some degree the increase in E Will be because of increased T (aromatization) ,but I suspect the biggest part is from the large dosage . Since DHEA is known to be converted into estrogen in dosages above 5mg . So I'd suspect less estrogen and similar androgen increase if they kept the dosage lower .

Also noteworthy is the gradual increase in steroids. From months 0-6 there was a gradual increase in those hormones ,from 6-12 the increase was very little .
So if someone does an experiment with it , it might be worth to wait 6 months until you get a blood test , to see DHEAs full effects .

I think this study should make you somewhat concerned about using so much DHEA. Total testosterone only saw a quantum leap after several months while free testosterone increased rapidly with a simultaneous decline in SHBG. Combined with the increase in estrogen and growth hormone, this doesn't look very favorable to me. An increase of free testosterone, estrogen, and progesterone while SHBG decreases points to liver issues.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals