Alcohol And Sugar

tonto

I've noticed that alcohol use appears to increase energy level and focus fairly quickly after ingestion. I suspect there may be a transient activating effect on mitochondria in which alcohol acts as a sugar. In this forum, it is discussed that alcoholism and hypothyroid are associated. Also carbohydrate craving is common among recovery alcoholics. Even some have noted that a low carb diet appears to increase alcohol craving.

Anyone have any research that shows that alcohol can have an initially activating effect on mitochondria? Seems like an interesting line of inquiry to help those with alcohol cravings.

Thanks!

Barry Obummer

I don't know about the science, but as a recovered alcoholic I can say that alcohol was my preferred and temporarily most efficient form of energy. I became more functional after about BAC of 4 times the legal limit for driving. Lots of ailments would disappear.

As far as the carb cravings, There's that whole theory about how carbs turn into ethanol with people with candida, but who knows.

tara

Pretty sure Peat has talked about this in one of his articles - maybe on his site? If I remember/find which one I'll post here, but you could go looking.
My recollection is along the lines of it providing short-term energy stability, but I don't recall the mechanisms. Maybe he had relevant references in that article.

Also,
~9 cals/gram alcohol
~4 cals/gram sucrose/starch

Barry Obummer

This thread makes me think about those people who smoke and drink for 60 years and are fine. I think we all have one of those uncles or something ; their livers should have disintegrated but dr's tell them it is fine.

My issues with alcohol actually had to do with either smelling like alcohol, combing it with caffeine (not recommended), or running out of money to get more. That's why I had to quit. I didn't drink for a long time though, so it's not like I'm recommending copious amounts of vodka for a long term health strategy.

Also, I don't think there's a lot of science to back this up, but the cheap stuff is just not worth it. It doesn't give the same clarity of thought and dopamine boost, in my opinion. Jack Daniels can definitely be medicine if used appropriately - Barely any hangover, can actually help get work done, help you eat more. Lots of benefits in moderation.

tara

Jack Daniels can definitely be medicine if used appropriately - Barely any hangover, can actually help get work done, help you eat more. Lots of benefits in moderation.
Yeah, wouldn't surprise me at all if there were some benefits from moderate amounts - like half a tsp/day. :)

My recollection is along the lines of it providing short-term energy stability, but I don't recall the mechanisms.
Forgot to mention - short-term stability which attracts people to use it, but medium and long-term effects are negative. Peat has lots of references to the negative effects of alcohol, and refers to ethanol as toxic. Not wanting to give the impression that Peat promotes the use of alcohol.

Koveras

I've noticed that alcohol use appears to increase energy level and focus fairly quickly after ingestion. I suspect there may be a transient activating effect on mitochondria in which alcohol acts as a sugar. In this forum, it is discussed that alcoholism and hypothyroid are associated. Also carbohydrate craving is common among recovery alcoholics. Even some have noted that a low carb diet appears to increase alcohol craving.

Anyone have any research that shows that alcohol can have an initially activating effect on mitochondria? Seems like an interesting line of inquiry to help those with alcohol cravings.

Thanks!

Haidut:

Another peculiar thing is that in the case of alcohol at least, it is known that it causes temporary increase in ATP since it forces the liver to release its glycogen stores into the blood. So, temporarily at least, alcohol seems to cause effects similar to thyroid hormone until glycogen is depleted. Of course, when taken chronically, alcohol will undermine the very energetic pathway it seems to stimulate initially. Here is another view on the story that seems to confirm the point that people use alcohol as a "fake" thyroid surrogate:

Ray Peat on Addiction / Alcoholism

OP
tonto

tonto

The "fake thyroid surrogate" concept seems to be right on... Peat often says that thyroid promotes energy use in a meaningful way for the organism. This is exactly what alcohol is to the alcoholic - that is a way to feel a sense of meaning or "spirit". Maybe alcohol is needed to replace hypothyroidism. In recovery one must stop alcohol and accept a "higher power" (meaning), but overlooked is the thyroid insufficiency (energy for that meaning). Perhaps that is where the "dry drunk" concept comes in - no alcohol and no thyroid makes for a pretty miserable person.

Barry Obummer

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me at all if there were some benefits from moderate amounts - like half a tsp/day. :)

Forgot to mention - short-term stability which attracts people to use it, but medium and long-term effects are negative. Peat has lots of references to the negative effects of alcohol, and refers to ethanol as toxic. Not wanting to give the impression that Peat promotes the use of alcohol.

I think I get a bigger dose than that just from smelling my uncles breath. :p

I think it's seven kcal per gram of ethanol. Not including fixing damage from free radicals and backing up of the energy cycle.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals