Alcohol - Raises 5-ar->dht Synthesis?

bdawg

Hi guys,

New member here. Started Peating a month back.

One thing I noticed is about the Peating community is that alcohol is hardly addressed by the forums/Peat. Maybe it has and I haven't come across it...

Theres a few studies that implicate alcohol as being possibly androgenic in the short-term, which might explain its acute effect in men. The mechanism is what I'm curious about though, and i suspect its through enhanced 5-ar activity, at least in the brain

Im hoping the experienced Peaters and scientific study veterans could have a guess at the mechanism behind the results of the below studies:

alcohol raises 3-α diol (dht metabolite) in frontal cortex:
Alcohol Dose-Dependently Enhances 3α-Androstanediol Formation in Frontal Cortex of Male Rats Concomitant with Aggression

alcohol raises allopreg
Alcohol intoxication increases allopregnanolone levels in male adolescent humans. - PubMed - NCBI

alcohol raises allopreg via 5-ar
Neuroactive Steroid 3α-Hydroxy-5α-Pregnan-20-One Modulates Electrophysiological and Behavioral Actions of Ethanol

finasteride blocks acute blood alcohol concentration upon initiation of alcohol withdrawal via inhibition of 5-ar
Interaction of chronic ethanol exposure and finasteride: sex and strain differences

alcohol significantly increases free testosterone post-exercise
Postresistance exercise ethanol ingestion and acute testosterone bioavailability. - PubMed - NCBI

Cheers

X3CyO

My rules are just stick to rum, vodka, and Cider. The simpler the better; just like the russians and americans back in the day.

Or get some sorghum alcohol; that raises dht!

Mix with juice and enjoy.

Anyone know the cut off where benefits start dropping oz to pounds/kg?

CoolTweetPete

Doesn't alcohol also enhance TLR-4? I would think the negatives might outweigh the positives. Acetylaldehyde is also a carcinogen I think.

I used to drink A LOT but since dialing it back I feel a lot better.

Fractality

If your liver function is optimal and you have low PUFA stores, alcohol isn't all that harmful.

tara

DaveFoster

Moderate alcohol assumption (1-2 standard drinks/week) provided you have a well-functioning liver will probably make you liver longer, and Peat has said that it provides oxidation benefits, provided the alcohol does not contain estrogen.

sladerunner69

Drinking every so often is really not all that deteriorating under the context of low pufa and strong metabolic health. Of course drinking everyday would likely have a deterimental impact on your metabolism, but I believe most people could handle a good amount of vodka or rum or even light beer and recover on sunday before its time to work. Whenever I get drunk I feel quite lethargic and unfocussed the next day, but the following day I feel fine.

rei

Since many population level studies have shown benefit from moderate consumption and even diabetes improvement is officially admitted the general metabolic benefit must be real. Now imagine what it could be when used with care. Since not eating pufa makes the liver of rats immune to damage from alcohol i think we have the main harm mechanism pretty well targeted.

lampofred

Anything that is estrogenic will increase 5 AR as a compensatory mechanism.

Plus alcohol causes reductive stress, increasing metabolic electrons and reducing the NAD to NADH ratio. This is its worst effect imo, and it's a fundamental property of alcohol not related to liver function or PUFA stores.

Of course you should balance that with negative effects that abstinence will have on your social life.

But cigarettes, lsd, mdma, cocaine, and morphine (with an antihistamine) are all probably better options from strictly a metabolic perspective (but definitely not an addiction perspective)... Marijuana and alcohol are the worst.

cyclops

But cigarettes, lsd, mdma, cocaine, and morphine (with an antihistamine) are all probably better options from strictly a metabolic perspective (but definitely not an addiction perspective)... Marijuana and alcohol are the worst.

Do you know anything about Kratom by any chance? Wondering how'd you'd rank that from a metabolic perspective.

lampofred

Do you know anything about Kratom by any chance? Wondering how'd you'd rank that from a metabolic perspective.

I don't know for sure.

Even the list in my previous post, I'm not fully certain about morphine. Depressants are usually not good metabolically since they increase prolactin/growth hormone, but with opioids, I think it's trickier. Because their histamine-promoting aspects might be what is increasing the prolactin/GH, whereas their actual effect on the nervous system is more progesterone-like in terms of how they reduce functionality of the right prefrontal cortex and increase sedation via increasing CO2/GABA instead of by slowing the system down. But tbh, this is mostly guess work with no basis in actual research or facts.

Overall though, Peat isn't a fan of opiods in general so it's probably best to not take it.

cyclops

I don't know for sure.

Even the list in my previous post, I'm not fully certain about morphine. Depressants are usually not good metabolically since they increase prolactin/growth hormone, but with opioids, I think it's trickier. Because their histamine-promoting aspects might be what is increasing the prolactin/GH, whereas their actual effect on the nervous system is more progesterone-like in terms of how they reduce functionality of the right prefrontal cortex and increase sedation via increasing CO2/GABA instead of by slowing the system down. But tbh, this is mostly guess work with no basis in actual research or facts.

Overall though, Peat isn't a fan of opiods in general so it's probably best to not take it.

Yea, I brought it up. because I noticed you said morphine with an antihistamine. I know Peat isn't a fan of opioids partly because of histamine, so I was wondering if kratom + antihistamine would make it beneficial.

OP
B

bdawg

I don't know for sure.

Opiods are also estrogenic

lampofred

Yea, I brought it up. because I noticed you said morphine with an antihistamine. I know Peat isn't a fan of opioids partly because of histamine, so I was wondering if kratom + antihistamine would make it beneficial.

Have you ever heard of nociceptin? Asking because you seem to have experience related to opioids.

I've been reading more about opiods because I'm sure there is something related that is metabolically very good but not exactly hitting opioid receptors... I came across somatostatin and nociceptin. There's barely any info about these at all though. I only found one thing that releases somatostatin and that is high CO2, nociceptin I can't find anything at all.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals