Biotin Reduced My Thyroid Supp (T3) Requirements

natedawggh

I have not yet been able to cease taking my thyroid meds (T3, Cytomel) in spite of significant health gains (you can read my previous posts or visit F*CK Portion Control to read my story). I have attempted a number of times to do so and my hypothyroid symptoms of low temp, white fingers, low pulse and aching body return in about 12-20 hours.

Upon supplementing 5,000 mcg of Biotin three times a day (Biotin's half-life is fairly short at about 2 hours) felt so great I decided to try going off my thyroid meds. Three days went by before hypo symptoms returned. It was kind of a bummer since it seemed like going off them was a possibility, but for two weeks now I've only required one small 1/4 dose (the tablets are 25 mcg) of thyroid every two or three days. It's a serious improvement from needing that same dose once or twice a day!

I had only taken biotin before in multi-B combos, at most was 100 mcg which is well above the recommended daily requirements so I neve suspected to try it. But since biotin is one of the key vitamins to enable saturated fat synthesis in the body (among many other functions), and also one of the more serious deficiencies in active and former alcoholics, I decided to try supplementing it in large doses, to great success. Most biotin supplements contain silica and I STRONGLY advise against ingesting silica from supplements.

Biotin loss is one of a host of reasons why alcohol is terrible for health and completely anti-peat. To consume it while you have thyroid or other health issues is to prolong your suffering, as I did for years and years. Sadly it seems alcohol just flushes B vitamins from the body and, for those of you who think you can just supplement and drink— prevents their absorbtion. Don't argue with me...take it up with nature. :) Anyway...

Biotin did drop my blood sugar pretty dramatically a few times, but luckily I had access to juice or fruit and would have been uncomfortable otherwise. My body seems to have adjusted now but if you take it be warned to watch out for that the first week. I have also noticed a small reduction in my calorie requirement, which is also something because at 6 foot 6 and 250 lbs I usually take a LOT of food, but an increase in my temps, pulse, and even better color in my extremities, elevated mood and better physical comfort seems to suggest that biotin serves a very important role in thyroid function. There are a number of other contributions on biotin on this site by others like Haidut which I found useful.

Last edited:

charmer

I was reading Nutrition for Women, and Peat says biotin can be toxic, and should be taken with inositol. I am wondering how up-to-date this information is.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have not yet been able to cease taking my thyroid meds (T3, Cytomel) in spite of significant health gains (you can read my previous posts or visit F*CK Portion Control to read my story). I have attempted a number of times to do so and my hypothyroid symptoms of low temp, white fingers, low pulse and aching body return in about 12-20 hours.

Upon supplementing 5,000 mcg of Biotin three times a day (Biotin's half-life is fairly short at about 2 hours) felt so great I decided to try going off my thyroid meds. Three days went by before hypo symptoms returned. It was kind of a bummer since it seemed like going off them was a possibility, but for two weeks now I've only required one small 1/4 dose (the tablets are 25 mcg) of thyroid every two or three days. It's a serious improvement from needing that same dose once or twice a day!

I had only taken biotin before in multi-B combos, at most was 100 mcg which is well above the recommended daily requirements so I neve suspected to try it. But since biotin is one of the key vitamins to enable saturated fat synthesis in the body (among many other functions), and also one of the more serious deficiencies in active and former alcoholics, I decided to try supplementing it in large doses, to great success. Most biotin supplements contain silica and I STRONGLY advise against ingesting silica from supplements.

Biotin loss is one of a host of reasons why alcohol is terrible for health and completely anti-peat. To consume it while you have thyroid or other health issues is to prolong your suffering, as I did for years and years. Sadly it seems alcohol just flushes B vitamins from the body and, for those of you who think you can just supplement and drink— prevents their absorbtion. Don't argue with me...take it up with nature. :) Anyway...

Biotin did drop my blood sugar pretty dramatically a few times, but luckily I had access to juice or fruit and would have been uncomfortable otherwise. My body seems to have adjusted now but if you take it be warned to watch out for that the first week. I have also noticed a small reduction in my calorie requirement, which is also something because at 6 foot 6 and 250 lbs I usually take a LOT of food, but an increase in my temps, pulse, and even better color in my extremities, elevated mood and better physical comfort seems to suggest that biotin serves a very important role in thyroid function. There are a number of other contributions on biotin on this site by others like Haidut which I found useful.

Hi nate,

What a fortuitous post! Around the same time you posted this, I as reading about this curious case of hyperthyroidism caused by large doses of biotin supplementation that the person was taking as treatment for MS.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27043844

So, it seems biotin can indeed stimulate thyroid function somehow.

charmer

I have a low blood glucose throughout the day, but since taking 30mg biotin daily, I felt a strong improvement the next day, although it is supposed to lower blood glucose. In my case it seemed to have the opposite effect.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I have a low blood glucose throughout the day, but since taking 30mg biotin daily, I felt a strong improvement the next day, although it is supposed to lower blood glucose. In my case it seemed to have the opposite effect.

It improves glucose utilization and insulin sensitivity, so if it is high it will lower it. If it is low, then it may decrease insulin output due to increased insulin sensitivity, thus allowing glucose to rebound a bit.

OP
natedawggh

natedawggh

Hi nate,

What a fortuitous post! Around the same time you posted this, I as reading about this curious case of hyperthyroidism caused by large doses of biotin supplementation that the person was taking as treatment for MS.
Misdiagnosis of Graves' Disease with Apparent Severe Hyperthyroidism in a Patient Taking Biotin Megadoses. - PubMed - NCBI

Awesome thanks for that! Now to figure out the mechanism and balance, when and why... :)

tomisonbottom

Do you still use biotin in large doses?

Mauritio

Hi nate,

Misdiagnosis of Graves' Disease with Apparent Severe Hyperthyroidism in a Patient Taking Biotin Megadoses - PubMed

Biotin can cause many false lab tests. So I think it is more likely that this is the case here, especially since the patient didnt display any symptoms of hyperthyroidism.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals