Capsaicin (cayenne) Efficacy In Metabolic Syndrome

Lore

Abstract
Capsaicin, the phytochemical responsible for the spiciness of peppers, has the potential to modulate metabolism via activation of transient receptor potential vanilloid 1 (TRPV1) receptors, which are found not only on nociceptive sensory neurons, but also in a range of other tissues. TRPV1 activation induces calcium influx, and in certain tissues this is associated with increased activation or expression of key proteins such as endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), uncoupling protein 2 (UCP2), KLF2, PPARdelta, PPARgamma, and LXRα. The calcium influx triggered by TRPV1 activation in endothelial cells mimics the impact of shear stress in this regard, activating and increasing the expression of eNOS—but also increasing expression of cox-2, thrombomodulin, and nrf2-responsive antioxidant enzymes, while decreasing expression of proinflammatory proteins. Hence, dietary capsaicin has favourably impacted endothelium-dependent vasodilation in rodents. TRPV1-mediated induction of LXRα in foam cells promotes cholesterol export, antagonising plaque formation. Capsaicin-mediated activation of TRPV1-expressing neurons in the gastrointestinal tract promotes sympathetically mediated stimulation of brown fat, raising metabolic rate. The increased expression of UCP2 induced by TRPV1 activation exerts a protective antioxidant effect on the liver in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and on vascular endothelium in the context of hyperglycaemia. In rodent studies, capsaicin-rich diets have shown favourable effects on atherosclerosis, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, obesity, non-alcoholic fatty liver, cardiac hypertrophy, hypertension and stroke risk. Clinically, ingestion of capsaicin—or its less stable non-pungent analogue capsiate—has been shown to boost metabolic rate modestly. Topical application of capsaicin via patch was found to increase exercise time to ischaemic threshold in patients with angina. Further clinical studies with capsaicin administered in food, capsules, or via patch, are needed to establish protocols that are tolerable for most patients, and to evaluate the potential of capsaicin for promoting vascular and metabolic health.
Review: Capsaicin may have important potential for promoting vascular and metabolic health Published online 2015 Jun 17

Cayenne Information from the 100 Herb Syllabus
The Herbal Legacy of America's herbology pioneer, Dr. John R. Christopher. Cayenne Information from the 100 Herb Syllabus.

Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled Page 2
... each day. FOOD FOR THE HEART Cayenne is one of the finest foods for ... a Healthier You" Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled Dr. Christopher's Newsletter 1-5 ...

How to Stop or Prevent a Heart Attack (Breathing Exercise)
In order to stop a heart attack naturally or at home ....

I'm sure there are more ..... :think:

OP
Lore

Lore

:imnewhereReally? Tell me more please .. want me to delete? It's a food/spice, cayenne peppers ...

I personally don't do pharmaceuticals, doctors or hospitals. I find herbal equivalents for pharma .. and I live 45 min from a hospital, 35 min to the nearest doctor's office for help if/when needed.

Last edited:
:imnewhereReally? Tell me more please .. want me to delete? It's a food/spice, cayenne peppers ...

I personally don't do pharmaceuticals, doctors or hospitals. I find herbal equivalents for pharma .. and I live 45 min from a hospital, 35 min to the nearest doctor's office for help if/when needed.

I do remember reading an article about the heart attack thing. Perhaps it acts similarly to other emergency medications that are used in this case. Would be nice to ask Ray Peat about capsaicin. I find that a bit (or a lot :cool ) of hot pepper helps me with starch side effects.

OP
Lore

Lore

I just had a heart issue (don't necessarily want to call it a heart attack, but ...) about an hour ago. I'll share what happened in a bit, I need to rest. My sternum area is aching and I'm exhausted. I utilized cayenne, turmeric, magnesium, and pursed lip breathing to get me through. It worked.

I just had a heart issue (don't necessarily want to call it a heart attack, but ...) about an hour ago. I'll share what happened in a bit, I need to rest. My sternum area is aching and I'm exhausted. I utilized cayenne, turmeric, magnesium, and pursed lip breathing to get me through. It worked.

Is this a recurring problem? I'm thinking perhaps it's a good time to check with a medical professional. Just to make sure nothing's wrong...

tara

OP
Lore

Lore

It's happening again .. just thought I'd post. The main reason I don't run to the hospital is, I've read, "How to Stop or Prevent a Heart Attack (Breathing Exercise)" How are we going to know if this works? Well, I'm trying it. What better way to test, no?

I'll type more in a bit, exactly what I did. bbl

What is the blood test that is run, to find out if one had a heart attack? There is a walk-in lab about 30 min. away, I could have my hubby take me there when I settle down.

Last edited:

Xisca

in the canary they make a traditional sauce with hot pepper, olive oil, vinegar, garlic and comino.
Also, I have noticed that quite a few persons I know make a paste to treat through the skin, most obviously for muscle and tendon pains.
Mojo (sauce) - Wikipedia
Some people tell me they feel they need this mojo, as if they were addicted!
Our body is intelligent, so I guess there is some usefullness when the body ask for it....
(addiction is not bad, what you are addicted to, can be bad ...or good!)