Ack, Soy.

messtafarian

Is there an emergency protocol for ingesting something horrible you did not want but bit into before you knew better?

I was knocking around here craving sugar, really debating whether I should go to the grocery store and get some chocolate or gummy bears or make some caramel on the stove.

My brother came home with a brownie ESPECIALLY for me. Joy, joy, joy chomp. It was a caramel brownie from a bakery in town and all I saw on the ingredients were chocolate, caramel, white flour ( but had to be minimal due to density of said delectable), sugar, butter, eggs, salt.

Then? In finer print: Contains wheat, eggs, soy.

SOY???

Where is the soy in this brownie? Somewhere in chocolate or the caramel that they listed as an ingredient without saying what was in it. SOY.

I am so mad right now. I didn't even go to the store to get the soything. It CAME INTO MY HOUSE, attached to a trusted relative, and lied its way into my gastrointestinal system.

Now I am MAD. SOY is freakin SATAN. Soy ruined my life. It blew up my thyroid and destroyed my hormones. Soy made me infertile at 38. Everything at the grocery store is laced with poison, we know that, but this is a bakery in town that uses normal things in baking like eggs and milk and butter. And the soy has somehow gotten in their supply chain too.

So what can I do? Should I take an extra aspirin tonight? Carrot salad?

Ipecac?

Peata

Sorry that happened. It was probably soy lecithin in the chocolate. It's in pretty much all chocolate now. How ever did they make chocolate before the days of soy?

It's apparently a very small amount of soy lecithin to give the chocolate better texture, but still, if you are someone that must avoid all soy no matter how tiny the amount, it's bad. And it's still bad for everyone else too. Soy has invaded our food supply. Will it ever go away.

OP
M

messtafarian

Well, I'm really trying, despite the fact that it's near to impossible to get all soy out of the diet, especially if you need to supplement fat soluble vitamins because soy oil is such a cheap carrier.

What's scary now is how hard it is to not eat it or get it on you somehow. It's in soap, mouthwash, shampoo, there are SHOES made out of soy. It's just madness.

Well, anyway. Poisoned brownie was pretty good, considering :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Purge purge purge!!! You....Must.....Evacuate.....Da.......Soy!!!

I jest. ;)

The food supply is downright depressing. We just gotta do the best we can and not stress the little stuff. The more our metabolisms increase the better we will be able to handle the slip ups or hidden poisons. Coconut oil, aspirin, maybe some vitamin E can stand in for emergency situations. Caffeine/coffee, sugar, anything to boost up the metab to help the liver to process it. And most important part, dont stress it. :)

OP
M

messtafarian

Yeah, I had a little aspirin and a spoon of coconut oil and just figure I'll let it alone. I am just so amazed at these very subtle signals that my health is improving I want to accelerate, not crash. Less dizziness and exhaustion, more clarity. Also I think that nodule has shrunk a bit; I can't really feel it anymore.

This might have been the first thirty days in about fifteen years I managed to avoid soy protein. What a coincidence:)

jyb

Soy lecithin is quite estrogenic. You might as well eat a tofu meal. I can tell if the chocolate I ate previous day had any with just symptoms I'm having.

OP
M

messtafarian

Yep. A little swelling in my throat this morning. Could be imagining it. Maybe not.

Swandattur

I wondered if the soy lecithin was enough to worry about in chocolate, not that I can eat chocolate last time I checked.
jyb, what effects do you get?
Several years ago not knowing any better, I tried soy supplements and it caused depressed mood. At that time my mood was more stable. So, it was easier to notice, and anyway it was very definite. I had the same response to fish oil and flax supplements, and HRT. At least I knew pretty quickly. Nuts did the same thing.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yes, definitely avoid if possible.

OP
M

messtafarian

Oh, I just ate all this stuff and taught myself to ignore how I felt.

But certain things I really could never get used to. Estrogen supplements, for example; black cohosh or something like that. Brutal. No thank you. I couldn't ever take ginseng for very long, and I had to force myself to eat nuts and soy for the protein.

It stops occurring to you that health is an actual experience and not a picture on a jar.

4peatssake

Swandattur

It is such a concept to realize that food can directly affect how you feel. I guess when our bodies are managing to juggle things pretty well, and are mostly keeping all the balls up in the air, we are not aware that something isn't good for us.

OP
M

messtafarian

Well, people are trained away from thinking about how food makes them feel because we're so focused on how it makes us look. You look mahvelous, dahling :)

Swandattur

Oh, I am switching back and forth between threads. On the other thread there is an older post by 4 peats that mentions soy junk on fruit. I guess it is some sort of waxy soy substance like soy candles. So, better peel fruits or avoid fruits that can't be peeled.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals