Why does everything have gums and soy

pboy

So I was at the supposed health grocery store yesterday, thinking...I'll get some good chocolate pudding, hot cocoa mix, ice cream sandwhiches...maybe a good chocolate bar or something...99% of everything they had had a gum and/or soy in it! It's quite annoying...honestly I think the miniscule amounts of soy lecithin probably wouldn't hurt me, but I really don't like gums / stabalizers

Dan Wich

Yeah. Once when I had first started Peat-ing, I went through the store scrutinizing every brand of ice cream, assuming I'd find something other than Haagen-Dazs that didn't have additives. 40-odd brands later, nothing. It was really surprising. The same with supplements: it seems like 95% of the brands have excipients that probably only cut manufacturing costs by 5%, but are still used because very few people care.

J

j.

Every ice cream that wasn't Haagen-Dazs that I've seen had carrageenan.

jyb

In an average UK store, the quality ice cream (Haagen-Dazs price range) is free of those. But the cheaper (much cheaper) ice creams have long ingredients lists, which can include vegetable oils. Chocolate very often has soy lecithin, even organic or very expensive brands. Coca-cola, however, is with real sugar not HFCS. In an average store, one can easily get organic milk, and milk is usually free of added vitamins.

Peata

I understand your frustration. It's amazing the number of products that claim on the front to be natural and then I look at the ingredient list and see otherwise.

Some companies apparently care though. I've found these to be good dairy products:

Daisy Cottage Cheese and Sour Cream.
Lamagna Ricotta Cheese (milk, vinegar, salt)
Turkey Hill All Natural ice cream.

Peata

I had an experience the other day with additives. I started eating some vanilla ice cream (a store brand but supposedly "premium" recipe) - French vanilla, to be exact, and after the first bite I knew something was wrong. I ate a few more small bites til I literally could not stomach another bite. I don't know if it was taste, texture, aftertaste, something, but I had to throw it away.

I'm not even the type to be sensitive (or at least notice sensitivity) to additives, fillers, etc., but something about this affected me -but just temporarily while I was eating it and a short time after. Maybe it's because I've been Peat eating and now my body rejects that junk more.

Anyway, I looked at the carton. It contained:

skim milk, cream, corn syrup, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, whey, pasteurized eggs, soy lecithin, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, calcium sulfate, locust bean gum, carrrageenan, vanilla extract, ground vanilla bean specks.

Bluebell

Yes, I think it tunes up your instincts so bad food really does taste bad!

The other thing about gums in ice cream is it makes them all soft straight out of the freezer, which I hate. They ought to be hard when frozen, much more delcious that way.

Peata

Bluebell said:
The other thing about gums in ice cream is it makes them all soft straight out of the freezer, which I hate. They ought to be hard when frozen, much more delcious that way.

I agree. I don't like that spongey stuff.

J

j.

Peata said:
skim milk, cream, corn syrup, sugar, high fructose corn syrup, whey, pasteurized eggs, soy lecithin, mono and diglycerides, guar gum, calcium sulfate, locust bean gum, carrrageenan, vanilla extract, ground vanilla bean specks.

Are you familiar with Ray Peat's views on carrageenan? I always feel bad when I eat something with it.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
ddjd Why Does Everything That Inhibits 11β-HSD1 (lowers Cortisol) Increase My Belly Fat? Ask For Help or Advice 54
D Does B-50 cause anhedonia? Water-Soluble Vitamins 9
yerrag Does Anyone Have References that Validate the Use of Urine pH as a Proxy for Blood/ECF pH? Acidity vs. Alkalinity 28
A Penis Does Not Get Quite As Hard As It Used To Ask For Help or Advice 35
Hgreen56 Does milk or calcium raise gaba? Milk 2
S Does speed of magnesium spray absorption correlate current levels of magnesium in system? Ask For Help or Advice 0
M Does magnesium glycinate increase dht? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 8
ScurveDream Leanness and physiology -- how does it all work (more of a rant)? Metabolism 1
lvysaur Does chicken digest faster than beef? Meat 4
deliciousfruit Does liver from grain-fed animals contain vitamin A? Meat, Organ Meat, Gelatin, Seafood 2
J How does Ray Peat make coffee? Ask For Help or Advice 8
U What does eggs offer to be important part of the diet? Diet 9
T Does adrenaline damage the nervous system? Ask For Help or Advice 3
L Does a Moderna vaccinated person cause harm to a non vaccinated person? Vaccines 15
JanP Does NDT supplement, T3/T4 or iodine raise PTH? Natural Dessicated Thyroid 4
ddjd why does saturated fat + carbs make me fat?? Ask For Help or Advice 53
Hgreen56 Does Gaba decrease metabolic rate? Diet 0
P Why Does Lowering Estrogen Slow My Hair Loss? (Interesting experience) Hair & Nails 4
Lokzo Does Lion's Mane Destroy Your Libido/Sex Drive?! Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
Frankdee20 Does dietary cholesterol intake increase it ? Cholesterol 8
ursidae >70 g of PUFA a day | Does diet even matter? Diet 72
TypicalJock Does food in plastic packaging effect the food? Ask For Help or Advice 1
tankasnowgod Milk, OJ, Cottage Cheese, Yogurt..... Does Temperature of these foods matter? Digestion 29
C Does Flowers Of Sulphur Only Benefit The Gut? Ask For Help or Advice 14
T Klonopin? How Does This Drug Do Nothing For Me? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 2
T Why Does Drinking Cause Suicidal Thoughts Now? Mental Issues 23
P Anti-Peat What Does Peat Have To Say About Tribal/indigenous Peoples Eating Pufa? Debate - Anti-Peat 22
jamies33 Does Believing In The Concept Of Karma Negate Belief In The Multiverse Theory? Meditation, Mindfullness, Religion, Spirituality 2
J Does Anyone Know Anything About Selleckchem Dot Com? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 0
H Does Tropical Weather Inhibit Metabolism? Metabolism 12
lvysaur Why Does Aspirin Lower My Bilirubin? Blood Work, Labs 1
F Does Anyone Have A Backup Of Tyw's Blog? Ask For Help or Advice 13
hominidnumber9 Why Does Finasteride Work For Some People? Hair & Nails 98
GelatinGoblin Does Sunlight Lower Thyroid And Steroids? Ask For Help or Advice 1
Hgreen56 Does The Potato Juice Have The Same Amount Of Carbohydrates As The Potato Itself? Diet 2
E My Mom Tested Positive For COVID Does COVID Develop Lung Nodules? Ask For Help or Advice 5
E Does Coffee Make You Fat And Anxious? Miscellaneous 12
Sexypizza Does Anyone Know Where I Can Buy Camphoric Acid? Digestion 5
R Does Anybody Have The Pdf Of Lysenko's Book On Heredity? Book Recommendations 0
bogbody Does This Look Like An OK Light Setup? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 4
N Why Does Hypothyroid Cause Puffy Face Thyroid and Hormones 2
S Does Vitamin C Increase Progesterone? Vitamins 12
C How Does Celery Do This? Skin 2
J Why Does Fresh Liver Taste So Good But Frozen Liver So Meh? Organ Meat 3
orewashin Why Does Coconut Oil/MCT Oil Burn My Throat? Coconut Oil 1
R Does Sugar Waste Magnesium? Ask For Help or Advice 4
I Does Famotadine Work As Well As Cyproheptadine? Supplements, Pharmaceutical Drugs 9
Velve921 What Does Everyone Thing Of Sooma For Sleep? It Has Glycine Ask For Help or Advice 0
T Does Sugar Raise Adrenaline? And What Causes Hypodypsia (lack Of Thirst) Ask For Help or Advice 8
A Does Aspirin Inhibit Mitochondrial Respiration? Aspirin 54