What is a good low-cost red light lamp device to get in 2022?

David PS

Much appreciate the info about wavelenghts, penetration and heating! As well the alternative links for bulbs.

What you reckon about this one ? Solux LED CLOSE RED E27 - 670nm - 6W | led-grower.eu

The trucker most likely has been eating pufa burgers and fries at truckstops all of his life. Also the exposure trough the window only on one side of his face is very unnatural. I know from this forum that sun damage is when the skin has a lot of pufa. I have the same experience, because in my country every single dish is cooked with sunflower oil. Before I was burning every summer and my skin was peeling even after short exposure. Since I found this forum I eat only meals prepared with beef tallow. This summer was very hot, I was working in the garden just with swimshorts, going out shirtless etc. I didn't burn at all, just nice tan. The trucker has not exactly burned, but is still a kind of sundamage.

Looking at the sun for few seconds morning, noon, afternoon is good. Looking for prolonged time at settng sun is good for eyesight. There are articles claiming looking at red bulbs is also good for eyes. But what do I know, you could be right.
Great. The link to the LED looks good. It is the correct wavelength and a reasonable price. The alternative links for bulbs may be useful for others who may be reading this thread.

The trucker photo is a great visual display of how damaging the sun's light can be. Being low PUFA is a giant step in the right direction especially for sunburns. But being low PUFA may not be sufficient so I am still cautious.

When I use red light I do not take special precautions to protect my eyes. I only avoid staring directly into the light. I may be overly cautious, but I do not want to suggest something that may be harmful. I was taught not to stare into the sun regardless of whether it is early morning, midday or late afternoon. I still get the benefit of the sun's red light just generally looking in the sun's direction.

Take care and enjoy your purchase.

HighT

I apologize I am still trying to understand this all - but as of now - my understanding is that (for my goal, which is deeper penetration into tissue) , I want NIR, vs IR - which produces heat. Apparently the desired NIR wavelength does not produce heat, so I would think this light bulb would not be the best?
Yes you got it right. But the common sense tells me any bulb after 100watt will produce heat regardless of the colors.

David PS

Do you notice any benefits using it?
@HighT - I came back :oops:, I am interested in the answer to this question as well.

I have been using eyeglasses with green lenses and surprisingly I have found them to be relaxing. The situation is somewhat analogous. The green eyeglasses do not have an independent power source and they merely filter the sun's light.

It might be worth an experiment to use a ruby-red colored transparent sheet to color a room red. It is cheap in that there is no need to purchase a special bulb.

My green is in the thread below. The thread is almost anti- clickbait.

David PS

Just to further the idea of using a red transparent sheet, if one were to use a light source the type of bulb may be significant. A transparent sheet can not create wavelengths that are not being emitted from the light source that you use. The sheet is only a filter.
led-lighting-2.jpg

Edit
005070_10_fig1.jpg

Last edited:

HighT

I have been using eyeglasses with green lenses and surprisingly I have found them to be relaxing. The situation is somewhat analogous. The green eyeglasses do not have an independent power source and they merely filter the sun's light.

It might be worth an experiment to use a ruby-red colored transparent sheet to color a room red. It is cheap in that there is no need to purchase a special bulb.

Ye, I was thinking something like this and asked you previously:

Also IR being invisible but red is visible, than the IR bulb is tinted red, wouldnt this give you the benefits of red and nir spectrum?

Maybe it is to simple to work but why not. Like those who put a film on their screens. Obviously the film don't have power on its own, but the blue light change after passing trough the film. Yes green color has calming effect, nice thread.

David PS

Much appreciate the info about wavelenghts, penetration and heating! As well the alternative links for bulbs.

What you reckon about this one ? Solux LED CLOSE RED E27 - 670nm - 6W | led-grower.eu

The trucker most likely has been eating pufa burgers and fries at truckstops all of his life. Also the exposure trough the window only on one side of his face is very unnatural. I know from this forum that sun damage is when the skin has a lot of pufa. I have the same experience, because in my country every single dish is cooked with sunflower oil. Before I was burning every summer and my skin was peeling even after short exposure. Since I found this forum I eat only meals prepared with beef tallow. This summer was very hot, I was working in the garden just with swimshorts, going out shirtless etc. I didn't burn at all, just nice tan. The trucker has not exactly burned, but is still a kind of sundamage.

Looking at the sun for few seconds morning, noon, afternoon is good. Looking for prolonged time at settng sun is good for eyesight. There are articles claiming looking at red bulbs is also good for eyes. But what do I know, you could be right.
Just to drive home the point that natural sunlight is destructive to the skin regardless of PUFA status, here is a photo of a famous American indian chief who lived from 1822 –1909. He had relatively dark skin (he never was a paleface) and I supsect that he could stay outside in the the direct sun without burning. There were no burgers and fries in his diet.
3c9dcf01de5a43dc6bd8061dc65579e1--red-cloud-native-indian.jpg

Think percieve and act accordingly.

David PS

Ye, I was thinking something like this and asked you previously:

Maybe it is to simple to work but why not. Like those who put a film on their screens. Obviously the film don't have power on its own, but the blue light change after passing trough the film. Yes green color has calming effect, nice thread.
My thinking on this is evolving. Yesterday I did not have an answer. Today, I think that if the underlying has red in it (sunlight for example) it might work. The big unknown is if the red plastic film with filter the desired wavelenghts as well as the blue light.

HighT

This guy died 87. Pictures must be arround that time. Thats how old people look like. 80 year old can't have baby skin. If he was avoiding the sun he maybe wouldn't get to 87 and died at 60 with fresh skin lol . You can't convince me I must hide from the sun :D

CoconutEffect

With the classic Peat brooder set up, anyone finding that they emit high (unsettling to the nervous system) frequencies? Is it time to change the brooder or the bulb?

HighT

I have been researching red bulbs for a week. Specifically red to nir spectrum.

These bulbs cost like $5 to $30 in alibaba and aliexpress. Im sure livegivingstore and redlightman are selling these bulbs but for $120-150...

The only difference is that in alibaba you can't find exact specrum like '670nm only' but instead only larger spectrums like 630 to 850nm.

So they may have a agreement with the chinese to make for them exact nm's. It still costs $10 but they sell it for $120.. very lifegiving.

I have found '670nm only' in two europen stores for like $60 but they don't ship abroad :arghh: I will contact them to ask if they could ship and once I get it I will post links.

David PS

I have been researching red bulbs for a week. Specifically red to nir spectrum.

These bulbs cost like $5 to $30 in alibaba and aliexpress. Im sure livegivingstore and redlightman are selling these bulbs but for $120-150...

The only difference is that in alibaba you can't find exact specrum like '670nm only' but instead only larger spectrums like 630 to 850nm.

So they may have a agreement with the chinese to make for them exact nm's. It still costs $10 but they sell it for $120.. very lifegiving.

I have found '670nm only' in two europen stores for like $60 but they don't ship abroad :arghh: I will contact them to ask if they could ship and once I get it I will post links.
I can not find anything magical about 670nm wavelngth. It appears to me that the magic might be that it is near the middle of the red light range of wavelengths. 670 may have been mentioned by Ray but I have not determined the year that he made the recommendation. Other red LED wavelenths may not have been commerically available at the time.
iu

For me, there are 2 important considerations. The first is that they are red LEDs, which have very little spread at the base of their peak. I am wondering if the Europeans are selling their product based on the precise wavelength at the peak and the Chinese at Alibaba are selling their product based at least in part on the spread at the base of the peak.
iu

The second consideration for me is that the spread that the Alibaba sellers acknowledge, does not extend into the orange or yellow wavelengths. I view spread into the NIR (another therapeutic range) may actually be a positive consideration and make their bulbs more valuable. I would expect that the NIR in the Alibaba bulbs to penetrate into the tissue more deeply.

iu

Last edited:

:M :B.

With the classic Peat brooder set up, anyone finding that they emit high (unsettling to the nervous system) frequencies? Is it time to change the brooder or the bulb?
This light stand have a ground. Not sure how much that matters exactly.

miquelangeles

@David PS IIRC Ray actually cautioned against using single band red light as it was shown to cause or accelerate cancer in some animal studies.
I use a 10mm water filter in front of my red heat lamp (and clear incandescents) and this allows you to bring it very close to the skin without causing burns.
The water filter mimics the earth's atmosphere and attenuates the harshest infrared peaks.

IMG_8153.jpg

David PS

@David PS IIRC Ray actually cautioned against using single band red light as it was shown to cause or accelerate cancer in some animal studies.
I use a 10mm water filter in front of my red heat lamp (and clear incandescents) and this allows you to bring it very close to the skin without causing burns.
The water filter mimics the earth's atmosphere and attenuates the harshest infrared peaks.

View attachment 46304
Wow, thanks for this information. I am going to post it in another thread related to red light.

Last edited:

:M :B.

@miquelangeles What are you using for the water filter? I've seen the plastic bag filled with water technique but it looks like you got something else going on.

miquelangeles

David PS

View attachment 46304
I use LEDs and they do not get hot. In addition, I do not get very close to them and never feel any warmth. Do you think I am okay?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals