What Are You Doing About Your Atherosclerosis?

B

Braveheart

Atherosclerosis begins in childhood and almost all adults have some degree of it. A person's arteries naturally get harder as they get older. Would you go on a completely plant based diet to stop this process and possibly reverse it?... Making a lion all of a sudden eat only grass would kill him....what steps would a follower of Dr. Peat take to minimize the risk?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Atherosclerosis begins in childhood and almost all adults have some degree of it. A person's arteries naturally get harder as they get older. Would you go on a completely plant based diet to stop this process and possibly reverse it?... Making a lion all of a sudden eat only grass would kill him....what steps would a follower of Dr. Peat take to minimize the risk?

High dose vitamin K2 (MK-4) reverses it pretty reliably (in animal models) in about 2-4 weeks. Human doses to replicate the animal experiments would be about 1mg/kg, which is not cheap but is cheaper and safer than whatever the doctor will prescribe, and officially none of these drugs would reverse it of course as it is considered irreversible :):
Taurine can synergize nicely with vitamin K and has been used for CVD in humans with good success. It also increase absorption of vitamin K. Adding magnesium can also help as magnesium also has track record in that field and the taurine should help magnesium retention too.

OP
B

Braveheart

Most importantly, I see a trend toward low fat on the forum...according to Dr. Essylsten it is reversible. His book is impressive.

OP
B

Braveheart

with me the damage has been done...suffered stroke 3 years ago...am in great health now following Peat principles...50% carb 25% prot 25% fat currently...dipping down to 20% fat at times. Am going the MK4, Taurine, Mag route...almost too easy to believe...haven't gone the big dose of MK4 yet

PeatThemAll

Anecdotal, my experience has been of some epigenetic/metabolic dead ends. Meaning: ate non-vegan for too long, don't have the metabolic flexibility to thrive on plant-based only. Felt shitty after a month (Esselstyn-style diet), substandard hematocrit (% of red blood cells in your blood) confirmed my gut feeling (both meanings).

Oh nice I have CVD too, one more worry on my mind eh :nailbiting:

OP
B

Braveheart

Anecdotal, my experience has been of some epigenetic/metabolic dead ends. Meaning: ate non-vegan for too long, don't have the metabolic flexibility to thrive on plant-based only. Felt shitty after a month (Esselstyn-style diet), substandard hematocrit (% of red blood cells in your blood) confirmed my gut feeling (both meanings).
Been there...done that

sladerunner69

Arterioclerosis is not a natural process, it is caused by oxidative damage to the arterial cell wall. This oxidative damage is usually the result of free fatty acid release brought on by consumption of PUFA and to a smaller degree MUFA. Keep the consumption of unsaturated fats low, and your chances of developing arterioclerosis drop to essentially nill. For further protection utilize antiioxidants such as vitamin E, taurine, and blood coagulators like vit K

Atalanta

with me the damage has been done...suffered stroke 3 years ago...am in great health now following Peat principles...50% carb 25% prot 25% fat currently...dipping down to 20% fat at times. Am going the MK4, Taurine, Mag route...almost too easy to believe...haven't gone the big dose of MK4 yet

Was it an ischemic stroke?
Can Mk-4 possibly cause too much clotting and therefore be a problem for people prone to getting strokes?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals