Thyroid Supplements for Smoking Cessation

wildtruffle14

Hello,

First post here. I changed my diet about 4-5 months ago based on Peat principles and I feel I finally have found my sweet spot. I have absolutely no issue keeping my temps up and my pulse has started to normalize (less dips or rises). Overall, I feel really well. All of my previous symptoms have almost abated (quality of sleep still needs some work).

The other important detail is that I'm a smoker. I know smoking probably helps me in some ways. But I also know that coffee helps me in a very similar way. Sweet things feel similar to cigarettes. Since eating a pro-metabolic rate diet, the cigarette cravings are less intense and for the most part I can go longer between them without having a restless feeling. They seem less meaningful. I have found so much healing, I believe, that I'm wary now of quitting because of the repercussions I may face physically.. revealing a hypothyroid state that the cigarettes were helping to mask....or quitting causing a form of hypothyroidism. With quitting, I know that the most important things I can do are: be disciplined with sleep times, get all the nutrients covered, be receptive to cravings for sugar and caffeine, and stay on a high dosage of pregnenolone. However, I'm wondering if taking thyroid would help even more. I have heard stories of thyroid significantly decreasing desire to smoke, too. I will say that I'm scared of experimenting with Cynoplus/Cynomel because they seem to be so particular and individual and difficult to interpret. I feel like everyone has different advice and different stores (negative and positive).

It seems like a reasonable starting point would be to get thyroid figured out in my system before I quit. I know this is a commonly discussed issue on combos and what to take. But I thought I'd try and see if my background information would dictate a different protocol of thyroid supplementation. Cynoplus seems to be the least drastic - but also probably requires the most patience to start seeing results. Is thyroid supplementation really just kind of a "live and learn" thing?

Thanks for any advice

Jenn

"Magnesium, nicotine, progesterone, and many other substances are known to protect against excitotoxic calcium overload,"
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/calcium.shtml

People who take aspirin, drink coffee, and use tobacco, have a much lower incidence of Alzheimer’s disease than people who don’t use those things. Caffeine inhibits brain phospholipase, making it neuroprotective in a wide spectrum of conditions. In recent tests, aspirin has been found to prevent the misfolding of the prion protein, and even to reverse the misfolded beta sheet conformation, restoring it to the harmless normal conformation. Nicotine might have a similar effect, preventing deposition of amyloid fibrils and disrupting those already formed (Ono, et al., 2002). Vitamin E, aspirin, progesterone, and nicotine also inhibit phospholipase, which contributes to their antiinflammatory action. Each of the amyloid-forming proteins probably has molecules that interfere with its toxic accumulation.

"Thyroid hormone, vitamins A and E, niacinamide (to inhibit systemic lipolysis), magnesium, calcium, progesterone, sugar, saturated fats, and gelatin all contribute in basic ways to prevention of the inflammatory states that eventually lead to the amyloid diseases. The scarcity of degenerative brain disease in high altitude populations is consistent with a protective role for carbon dioxide."

http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/madcow.shtml

"Definitions Haldane effect: Oxygen displaces carbon dioxide from hemoglobin, in proportion to its partial (specific) pressure. Bohr effect: Carbon dioxide (or acidity) displaces oxygen from hemoglobin. Lactic acidemia: The presence of lactic acid in the blood. Alkalosis: A pH of the blood above 7.4. Acidosis: A blood pH below 7.4. Lactate paradox: The reduced production of lactic acid at a given work rate at high altitude. Muscle work efficiency may be 50% greater at high altitude. ATP wastage is decreased.

Farmakol Toksikol 1977. Sep-Oct; 40(5):620-3.. [Effect of combinations of apressin, obsidan, diprazin, adenosine, NAD and nicotinamide on the resistance of rats to hypoxia and on carbohydrate metabolic indices]. [Article in Russian] Abakumov GZ As evidenced from experiments on rats, a combined application of apressin with obsidan and diprazine, and also of adenozine with nicotine-amidadenine-dinucleotide (NAD), as well as of adeozine with nicotine amide potentiates the protective effect of these substances in hypobaric hypoxia, increases the resistance of the animals to cerebral ischemia, brings down the excess lactate level and raises the redoz potential of the system lactic-acid-pyruvic acid in the brain of rats exposed to the effects of rarefied atmosphere."

http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/altit ... lity.shtml

So maybe pay attention to other nutrients that act similarly to nicotine? And keep on eye on your pH levels for any changes related to reducing/eliminating smoking? I have been told, we make our own normally, so withdrawals are our body readjusting to making it again...use it or loose it. A patch helps separate the habit from the withdrawal symptoms.

I am not a smoker but I don't know if smoking is really bad or not. I have "friends" who claim it's the additives in the cigarettes, not tobacco that's harmful.

fyo

Use an electronic cigarette: nicotine without all the harmful chemicals or smoke.

marcar72

I would strongly suggest getting the book "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr. Millions of people have quit using his methods, including myself. I'm going on 4 years smoke free. One of the main things you read about in the book is how cigarette addiction is mostly psychological. :2cents

Edward

Nicotine modulates the vagus nerve having anti-inflammortry action against inflammatory endotoxin. That is well documented in the literature. A "pro-thyroid" diet usually reduces starch, thus endotoxin, it is likely the brain learned that smoking had a protective benefit in response to an endotoxin challenge and now that endotoxin has reduced the psychological impulse is reduced. Physiology and psychology operate in a feedback loop. Nicotine has other anti-inflammatory effects around the body particularly in the CNS and (nicotine) decreases mortality in heart attack victims they call it "the smoker's paradox". I have seen way to many traditional cultures smoke like chimneys and it is way to common in centenarians for me to believe it is harmful. The potential negatives are vasodilation and reduced T4 conversion which if you are a starch eater might be desirable depending on the circumstances. Other benefits would be improved immunity to bacterial infection. Personally I'd be more worried about chest x-rays and beta-carotene supplements.

J

j.

Edward said:
Personally I'd be more worried about chest x-rays and beta-carotene supplements.

Mind telling us more about chest x-rays?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals