Smoking Vs Nicotine. Is Either One A Good Solution? / Carbon Monoxide

dookie

Having experimented lately with both smoking cigarettes (just a few per day) or eating nicotine gum or wearing a nicotine patch, I found that they feel somewhat different. Pure nicotine provides a bit of a dopamine "rush" feel, a bit like caffeine or other drugs, but more pleasant in my opinion, with less of an impact on cortisol (caffeine seems to elevate cortisol in myself). Smoking cigarettes is milder in this sense, no "rush", but seems to have some hormonal action, almost feels (very slightly) like thyroid or pregnenolone or something... can't really put my finger on it...

Hoping that other people who smoke or use nicotine can chime in - what's been your experience with tobacco or nicotine? Are either of them a sustainable solution to improving metabolism and health?

I smoke a cigar or two. I think it's very healthy. It is calming and the nicotine feels good. I might try vaping

jyb

dookie said:
post 118288 Having experimented lately with both smoking cigarettes (just a few per day) or eating nicotine gum or wearing a nicotine patch, I found that they feel somewhat different. Pure nicotine provides a bit of a dopamine "rush" feel, a bit like caffeine or other drugs, but more pleasant in my opinion, with less of an impact on cortisol (caffeine seems to elevate cortisol in myself). Smoking cigarettes is milder in this sense, no "rush", but seems to have some hormonal action, almost feels (very slightly) like thyroid or pregnenolone or something... can't really put my finger on it...

Hoping that other people who smoke or use nicotine can chime in - what's been your experience with tobacco or nicotine? Are either of them a sustainable solution to improving metabolism and health?

There's hundreds of studies on the effect of those on the brain and hormones. Some of the effects are very "Peaty", some not, and sometimes it depends a lot on the dose. Studies aside, I would agree after having experimented with nicotine that some effects are reminiscent of pregnenolone and caffeine: a light stimulation on the brain and digestion for a short while. When I was on low fat high sugar, it made me go hungry immediately (not in a really unpleasant way), the effect depends on my diet. There's one or two lengthy threads about all this on this forum.

I also noticed a difference between pure nicotine and cigarette. After reading studies I concluded it could be due to the administration route. But cigarette has many more effects than just that of nicotine (again, some seem very good, some less so).

ecstatichamster said:
post 118289 I smoke a cigar or two. I think it's very healthy. It is calming and the nicotine feels good. I might try vaping

I tried one and I found it just too strong (in nicotine or in smoke?).

Last edited by a moderator:

Lightbringer

dookie said:
post 118288 Are either of them a sustainable solution to improving metabolism and health?
I think Peat thinks a little Nicotine is ok for older folks. However, it can cause wrinkles because of the vasoconstrictive effect.

jaguar43

I think the patch and gum is better than smoking.

Makrosky

I would avoid smoking by any means. No matter what Peat or pubmed say. Except if you can stick to a couple of cigarrettes a day, that won't probably be much of an issue. I'm pretty sure living in any big city is far worse for your lungs.

But that's just me. Been there, done that.

OP
D

dookie

What I also found interesting is that, Peat mentions that smoke (from cigarettes) contains 'soot' and carbon monoxide, which make it estrogenic. However, I have found that smoking cigarettes has some androgenic effects. Perhaps the other ingredients of cigarettes (nicotine, etc) counter the estrogenic effects to such an extent that the overall effects are actually androgenic? Anyone else had this experience? I can't help but think of the skinny models who smoke, or the people of USA in the 50's. They didn't seem to have an estrogen problem.

mujuro

What's the rationale behind cigars being better than cigarettes? Because they're less commercialized i.e. less glues, adhesives, additives, etc.?

I occasionally smoke one, but no more than 2 per day. I find smoking more than 2 per day defeats the purpose of it, as the psychoactive effects are diminished when smoking them in close succession.

Matt1951

mujuro said:
post 118543 What's the rationale behind cigars being better than cigarettes? Because they're less commercialized i.e. less glues, adhesives, additives, etc.?

I occasionally smoke one, but no more than 2 per day. I find smoking more than 2 per day defeats the purpose of it, as the psychoactive effects are diminished when smoking them in close succession.

In the link I provided, Dr Douglass provides the studies that confirm you are ok if you smoke one or two cigars a day. The government studies lump cigar smokers who smoke one or two a day into the same group. However, if you smoke more than two a day, the more you smoke, the more likely you are to get throat cancer. Odds become very great if you smoke 10 or more a day. Think of Sigmund Freud or Ulysses S Grant; however George Burns smoked 15 or more a day and lived to be 100. I think Babe Ruth smoked 7 or 8 a day, and died of throat cancer. Grant and Ruth also drank a lot of booze, which adds to the risk factor.

You can smoke up to 10 cigarettes a day and be ok, but above 10, the more one smokes, the more likely one is to get cancer. It is difficult to stop at 10.
Tobacco is medicine, but if the dosage is wrong, the result is cancer.

I like the advice of Groucho Marx to his son, smoke two cigars a day, but stay away from cigarettes. I myself smoke nearly one a day, actually about 5 a week. Why stay away from cigarettes? They are more addictive for whatever reason, and the smoke is inhaled into the lungs. As most people who smoke cigars do not inhale the smoke into their lungs, they will not suffer from emphysema.

OP
D

dookie

Matt1951 said:
mujuro said:
post 118543 What's the rationale behind cigars being better than cigarettes? Because they're less commercialized i.e. less glues, adhesives, additives, etc.?

In the link I provided, Dr Douglass provides the studies that confirm you are ok if you smoke one or two cigars a day. The government studies lump cigar smokers who smoke one or two a day into the same group. However, if you smoke more than two a day, the more you smoke, the more likely you are to get throat cancer. Odds become very great if you smoke 10 or more a day. Think of Sigmund Freud or Ulysses S Grant; however George Burns smoked 15 or more a day and lived to be 100. I think Babe Ruth smoked 7 or 8 a day, and died of throat cancer. Grant and Ruth also drank a lot of booze, which adds to the risk factor.

You can smoke up to 10 cigarettes a day and be ok, but above 10, the more one smokes, the more likely one is to get cancer. It is difficult to stop at 10.
Tobacco is medicine, but if the dosage is wrong, the result is cancer.

I like the advice of Groucho Marx to his son, smoke two cigars a day, but stay away from cigarettes. I myself smoke nearly one a day, actually about 5 a week. Why stay away from cigarettes? They are more addictive for whatever reason, and the smoke is inhaled into the lungs. As most people who smoke cigars do not inhale the smoke into their lungs, they will not suffer from emphysema.

If you don't inhale, doesn't it mean there is pretty much no nicotine and other of the "good factors" of tobacco, entering your system?

OP
D

dookie

I wanted to give a quick update on my experimentation with smoking. I have found that it seems to raise metabolism in some way. It improves both my appetite, sleep and digestion. After I smoke, I often get increased salivation in my mouth, I get a bit hungry, and a bowel movement often follows. I sleep better at night and more vivid dreams.

Also, I've noticed that it improves erections. Morning wood is strong, but not in a "high nitric oxide" type of way (I've had very painful, swollen morning wood when I was very unhealthy).

Anyway I'm just reporting on these findings. Smoking really seems to be a helpful "supplement", although yes there are some side effects like anxiety. It also seems to lower cortisol levels, at least from the signs and symptoms. It seems to only require a few cigarettes per day, but maybe if done long term, it would require a higher dose

It would be very interesting to hear if someone on the forum who takes or has taken thyroid would be able to replace it with smoking or nicotine gums or patches. I still find it that smoking has additional benefits next to pure nicotine..

DaveFoster

Can we get some updates? I've been trying small amounts of nicotine gum, and the effects are good except for the horrible indigestion from swallowing; even the trickle of saliva (after spitting) causes some awful heartburn.

jyb

I don't use nicotine as I don't like the vasoconstrictive effects on me, but here a few thoughts...

Can we get some updates? I've been trying small amounts of nicotine gum, and the effects are good except for the horrible indigestion from swallowing; even the trickle of saliva (after spitting) causes some awful heartburn.

You wouldn't get this side effect from snus if inserted properly.

It would be very interesting to hear if someone on the forum who takes or has taken thyroid would be able to replace it with smoking or nicotine gums or patches. I still find it that smoking has additional benefits next to pure nicotine..

Cigs have positive effects on the brain you don't get in just nicotine. However, seeing how quickly people have transited to e-cigs, it seems like the main thing smokers are looking for is nitocine.

denise

Did you see this thread I started last year? Quit Smoking And All (digestive) Hell Broke Loose
The tl;dr is that I realized after quitting that the cigarettes were pretty much the only thing keeping my thyroid going. I'm sure many people are self-medicating for thyroid by smoking, and they don't realize it. They just think they're too weak to quit or whatever.

I'm smoking again, although only about 4/day, and only ones I roll myself from all organic materials. I was going to quit again recently, but to be honest, I'm afraid to. I want my health to be more stable before I do. At least I have haidut's TyroMix now, which helped immensely when I started it last fall. I don't need nearly as much of it now as I did at first, presumably because I started smoking again.

I tried vaping a couple times but pretty much hated it. I assumed it was because vaping eliminates many of the tactile and ritual elements of smoking a cigarette, but maybe it was also because my body wanted more than just nicotine, I don't know.

sladerunner69

Yeah I just returned my gum today actually. It tastes like vile garbage, gave me hiccups and naseau. A nice mental boost but also makes me jittery and nervous. It se ems to be vasoconstrictive because i get cold hands and feet and my chest tightens up and it becomes harder to breath. These were the same problems I had with smoking and chewing.

Herbie

After experimenting with different forms of inhaling tobacco from around the world Ive found roll your own is the best because the tobacco is moist, clean, smooth and high quality and low cost. I did enjoy Swedish snus and I used to vape the american spirit pipe tobaccos in a volcano and plenty, had a go of liquid nicotine vape and didn't enjoy it. I smoked a roll of mapacho (nicotina rustica) in Peru, it was my first time smoking and stayed with me since and of course many brands of taylor made and found taylor made to be the worst in terms of dryness, harshness, poor flavour, burns out very fast, additives and cost (In Australia its now $33 for 25pack of marlboro and going up) thats $25 US. There is something about smoking tobacco that nicotine on its own can't replace, I don' know exactly what it is but just my own anecdotal evidence.

At this present time in our culture we have to justify all of our actions through scientific study's and double blind peer reviewed then be controlled by a government based on those studies from lobbyists or some other authoritarian entity and its the bane of culture when governments intervene too much into individual freedoms while the common idiot thinks the government is saving them from themselves. If something feels good for us and we enjoy it then we should trust in ourselves to make our own choices.

Im like to assume that a vast majority of the people who will shame someone for smoking tobacco either directly or passively do regularly drink alcohol and not that alcohol is good or bad but it can be bad and same as anything including tobacco. If you drink 50 coffees a day you may shorten life span, same with alcoholic drinks and cigarettes, common sense will prevail.

DaveFoster

After experimenting with different forms of inhaling tobacco from around the world Ive found roll your own is the best because the tobacco is moist, clean, smooth and high quality and low cost. I did enjoy Swedish snus and I used to vape the american spirit pipe tobaccos in a volcano and plenty, had a go of liquid nicotine vape and didn't enjoy it. I smoked a roll of mapacho (nicotina rustica) in Peru, it was my first time smoking and stayed with me since and of course many brands of taylor made and found taylor made to be the worst in terms of dryness, harshness, poor flavour, burns out very fast, additives and cost (In Australia its now $33 for 25pack of marlboro and going up) thats $25 US. There is something about smoking tobacco that nicotine on its own can't replace, I don' know exactly what it is but just my own anecdotal evidence.

At this present time in our culture we have to justify all of our actions through scientific study's and double blind peer reviewed then be controlled by a government based on those studies from lobbyists or some other authoritarian entity and its the bane of culture when governments intervene too much into individual freedoms while the common idiot thinks the government is saving them from themselves. If something feels good for us and we enjoy it then we should trust in ourselves to make our own choices.

Im like to assume that a vast majority of the people who will shame someone for smoking tobacco either directly or passively do regularly drink alcohol and not that alcohol is good or bad but it can be bad and same as anything including tobacco. If you drink 50 coffees a day you may shorten life span, same with alcoholic drinks and cigarettes, common sense will prevail.
Or if you drink 50 cups of coffee you'd be Voltaire. I agree that we need to reject all our biases and approach problems from the perspective of the subject.

As with: What is the context of this issue? Why are you using tobacco? What are your stressors, and what activities are you using to restore an equilibrium?

A little of something can be just as harmful as a lot; a little coffee given to some in a hyperthyroid state can kill them. Given to a hypothyroid person, more of a stimulant would be needed.

zztr

Tobacco smoke is not just another nicotine delivery modality. This is quite obvious if you ever try to compare smoking with pure nicotine. There are a mess of active compounds in the smoke including MAOIs and other stuff.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals