Smoking Vs Nicotine. Is Either One A Good Solution? / Carbon Monoxide

Herbie

Or if you drink 50 cups of coffee you'd be Voltaire. I agree that we need to reject all our biases and approach problems from the perspective of the subject.

As with: What is the context of this issue? Why are you using tobacco? What are your stressors, and what activities are you using to restore an equilibrium?

A little of something can be just as harmful as a lot; a little coffee given to some in a hyperthyroid state can kill them. Given to a hypothyroid person, more of a stimulant would be needed.

I read about Voltaire's coffee habits, its interesting, I couldn't fathom drinking that many in a day though it worked for him and supported him on his journey.

Im trying to say can someone just enjoy something without it being a problem or an issue, I'm talking about people who enjoy the smell of unburnt tobacco, the feeling of tobacco in their fingers, the sound of a lighter igniting, the bright flame, the sensation of inhaling tobacco, the flavour, the change of state to bring on novel thoughts, a time of contemplation outside looking at the sky, the art of rolling a cigarette, the different types of tobacco. These people don't walk down the street smoking or driving in the car or rush out on their lunch break to suck one down, its a special time out. Something that isn't habitual but spontaneous.

Are there cases of people dying from small amounts of coffee?

DaveFoster

I read about Voltaire's coffee habits, its interesting, I couldn't fathom drinking that many in a day though it worked for him and supported him on his journey.

Im trying to say can someone just enjoy something without it being a problem or an issue, I'm talking about people who enjoy the smell of unburnt tobacco, the feeling of tobacco in their fingers, the sound of a lighter igniting, the bright flame, the sensation of inhaling tobacco, the flavour, the change of state to bring on novel thoughts, a time of contemplation outside looking at the sky, the art of rolling a cigarette, the different types of tobacco. These people don't walk down the street smoking or driving in the car or rush out on their lunch break to suck one down, its a special time out. Something that isn't habitual but spontaneous.

I get what you're saying; there's a spiritual/experiential aspect to smoking for some.

It's hard to directly link the two, but it was more of a theoretical argument.

Travis

I have an Indonesian friend that sends me clove cigarettes "kreteks".

And I smoke organic American and Canadian tobacco as well.

zztr

Why are you using tobacco? What are your stressors, and what activities are you using to restore an equilibrium?

I have gone over a year at a time without smoking. It's never been an addiction at all. I've always regarded it as a work/study thing. I have built and learned things that maybe I could not have built without tobacco. It helps sustain concentration and effort beyond what is possible unaided, especially alongside coffee. I'm coasting in my current work role at the moment and have been "clean" for a year, but I think I'm gearing up for the next big push. I will probably spend a quarter having fifteen to twenty high quality cigarettes per week alongside pots of coffee while I work quite a lot in terms of hours.

zztr

I have gone over a year at a time without smoking. It's never been an addiction at all. I've always regarded it as a work/study thing. I have built and learned things that maybe I could not have built without tobacco. It helps sustain concentration and effort beyond what is possible unaided, especially alongside coffee. I'm coasting in my current work role at the moment and have been "clean" for a year, but I think I'm gearing up for the next big push. I will probably spend a quarter having fifteen to twenty high quality cigarettes per week alongside pots of coffee while I work quite a lot in terms of hours.

Want to put a man on the moon? Maybe get some ash trays in the office.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

p.s. linking to imgur seems totally busted. If images don't show up it's charlie's fault.
Kru5m

b3uB1

b3uB1

Kru5m

b3uB1

Kru5m

Last edited:

Regina

I had a former boyfriend like that. He might smoke 3 cigarettes a week (that he had rolled) tops. He was a ballet master and after performance would get into the art of different tobaccos and rolling and then forget all about cigarettes/smoking for weeks. Endearing really.

DaveFoster

Now that's interesting. Have you ever tried methylphenidate, or higher doses of caffeine versus moderate doses of caffeine + nicotine?

Nicotine and Cognitive Performance - The Benefits of Nicotine ? • r/Nootropics

"Nicotine patch and Methylphenidate totally removes my ADHD. I think there is something about the slow release that makes it that much more effective. Same applies to Methylphenidate, too much at once (IR) makes me feel awful afterwards.

I remember reading that a Nicotine patch has antidepressant effects. I second this and I do feel a sustained mood lift when taking the patch in comparison to inhaling it.

Does Nicotine cap excessive glutamate? I've also been wondering why it reduces - very noticeable - Methylphenidate-induced anxiety."​

Herbie

I get what you're saying; there's a spiritual/experiential aspect to smoking for some.

It's hard to directly link the two, but it was more of a theoretical argument.

I get your point, I wouldnt have come up with these thoughts without thinking about my state and how certain things are influencing it.

Herbie

I have an Indonesian friend that sends me clove cigarettes "kreteks".

And I smoke organic American and Canadian tobacco as well.

I just googled kreteks, they look very interesting. The rendezvous and praire pride were my favourites.

denise

I used to think excessive smoking was a problem (that's why I was trying to quit, after all), but after last year, I have stopped judging anyone who smokes--no matter what the amount or how compulsive it is.

In that first week after quitting, I wanted to rush to our Wellness coordinator at work and tell her about Alan Carr's book, so that she could buy some copies/recommend it to others, but after everything went south and I had such a hard time getting better again, I decided that offering smokers an easy way to quit without also offering a way to heal themselves was downright reckless, and so I never did talk to her about it.

I had a former boyfriend like that. He might smoke 3 cigarettes a week (that he had rolled) tops. He was a ballet master and after performance would get into the art of different tobaccos and rolling and then forget all about cigarettes/smoking for weeks. Endearing really.
This is how I was until I had a breakdown about 8 years ago. As various health issues spiraled downward and life stress spiraled upward, my smoking frequency increased proportionally.

GAF

"I decided that offering smokers an easy way to quit without also offering a way to heal themselves was downright reckless"

What are the ways a smoker can best heal themselves during the quitting process?

Regina

I used to think excessive smoking was a problem (that's why I was trying to quit, after all), but after last year, I have stopped judging anyone who smokes--no matter what the amount or how compulsive it is.

In that first week after quitting, I wanted to rush to our Wellness coordinator at work and tell her about Alan Carr's book, so that she could buy some copies/recommend it to others, but after everything went south and I had such a hard time getting better again, I decided that offering smokers an easy way to quit without also offering a way to heal themselves was downright reckless, and so I never did talk to her about it.

This is how I was until I had a breakdown about 8 years ago. As various health issues spiraled downward and life stress spiraled upward, my smoking frequency increased proportionally.
Yea, I think that is pretty straight cause and effect.
It's hard to heal anything until the stress is abated. There is a lot worse things than smoking.

Lucenzo01

Tobacco is healthy as ****. It was the only thing keeping me sane before Peat. One week I stopped smoking and I almost became a woman. I remember my puff seven days later. Holy grail. Anyway, dose is key like somebody said before and it is the harder thing to control because smoking is good with everything. I smoke when I have to wait, when I study, when the work is low, when I party, when I wake up, before sleeping, playing chess....it is so cool in almost any situation you can imagine but you need to control it.

Travis

It's good for thinking! It's nice to know that you play chess. It really is the only board game worth playing IMO.

At chess.com you can play with thousands of people across the globe.

Smoking also greatly reduces the rate of Parkinson's, which appears to be caused by exitotoxicity. It's not unusual to see the word "neuroprotective" and "nicotine" in the same abstract.

Elysium

So reading this thread i think it is fair to say that 6 to 7 peatarians out of 10 recommend smoking for good health.

Someone who just came here recently in search of a better health, taking a leap of faith on gulping spoons of sugar and avoiding vegetables, must be looking in awe reading this, and reconsidering just about EVERYHTING he's read here so far. Thinking 'what have I done?'.

If there's a wikipedia page for peat one day, it is exactly this kind of nonsense that will be a constant subject of remove-reinstate battles by people intent on disparaging Peat.

And it wont matter in the slightest that Peat has said smoking is carcinogenic. Honestly, this is just bad.

Lucenzo01

It's good for thinking! It's nice to know that you play chess. It really is the only board game worth playing IMO.

At chess.com you can play with thousands of people across the globe.

Smoking also greatly reduces the rate of Parkinson's, which appears to be caused by exitotoxicity. It's not unusual to see the word "neuroprotective" and "nicotine" in the same abstract.

Yeah, I have an account there. Playing chess while smoking and drinking coffee is one of the best pleasures ever.

Yep, and tobacco has a lot of benefits besides nicotine. In fact nicotine by itself is much worse than tobacco.

Elysium

The wikipedia paleo and vegan trolls will have a field day.

Last edited:

tfcjesse

Detailed Benefits of Tobacco - Ray Peat Q&A
I think this is some good info.

Thera are a lot of positive effects from smoking obviously, it also has som drawbacks. Personally I can't live without american spirits orange packet, which only contains 0,4 mg nicotine per cigarette.

The benefits seem to just be listed in bullet points, but the comment section that follows presents citations for many of the bad effects. Namely CO and NO. I've also read about the mitochondrial uncoupling.

Yeah, I have an account there. Playing chess while smoking and drinking coffee is one of the best pleasures ever.

Yep, and tobacco has a lot of benefits besides nicotine. In fact nicotine by itself is much worse than tobacco.

Care to share these benefits? Smoking 2-3 cigarettes a day, for me, seems to boost cognitive function a bit, but with an almost hive-minded effect often in addition. I realize this may be stabilized further along the duration of a smoking habit. Lastly, and perhaps most vexing, is the heightened level of mucous that is formed, and the accompanying congestion. I might not have noticed this effect as markedly had I not been into yoga, in which a clean, clear, uninterrupted breath through the nose is essential. After smoking for a few days, this mucous blockage begins to occur and subsides only a few days after cessation.

Of course, I would easily endure these bad effects, should the benefits be proven or agreed upon here.