Vitamin A suppressing thyroid

Sheik

I have horrible dandruff and mild acne so I suspect I am deficient in vitamin A. But whenever I take some, I feel hypothyroid. I have a bottle of EstroBan, and once in a while I'll take a couple of drops but if I take too many I end up feeling pretty bad. I'm assuming it's got to be the vitamin A suppressing my thyroid. The thing is, I'm taking less than a full 8-drop serving over a period of two days.

Last time I had my TSH checked it was 1.5, and I was not supplementing thyroid, vitamin a, or even liver. My temp and pulse tend to be slightly low. So I guess I'm generally a little bit hypo.

Would it be a good idea to take a few micrograms of T3 with EstroBan? I'm hesitant to supplement thyroid full-time because of some bad experiences with it, and also because I tend to randomly fall into starvation mode (which is bad news bears if you are taking thyroid). I'm not totally opposed to supplementing full time if I could figure it out.

answersfound

I would guess it's not the vitamin A. Are your calluses and heels orange? That would mean you are getting too much. There is not that much vitamin A in estroban. Are you eating liver? Rather experiment with T3. You may want to start with a grain or even half a grain a day to bring tsh down. Also are you taking pregnebolone ? That decreases your need for vitamin a.

jyb

I wouldn't make the assumption that it's due to vitamin A. In the past I have not always felt good with supplementing E or K2, yet I'm always fine with A or eating beef liver.

LucH

Sheik said:
Vitamin A. (...) I'll take a couple of drops but if I take too many I end up feeling pretty bad.
There are interactions between A and D vitamins. Perhaps are you deficient in cofactors. Do you suffrer from colopathy or bad digestion ...

Interactions between vitamins A, D, E, and K
http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topi ... -vitamins/
Summary
• Vitamins A, D, and K2 interact synergistically to support immune health, provide for adequate growth, support strong bones and teeth, and protect soft tissues from calcification.
Magnesium is required for the production of all proteins, including those that interact with vitamins A and D.
• Vitamins A and D support the absorption of zinc and zinc supports the absorption of all the fat-soluble vitamins.
• Many of the proteins involved in vitamin A metabolism and the receptors for both vitamins A and D only function correctly in the presence of zinc.
• Dietary fat is necessary for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
• Vitamin K2 activates proteins by adding carbon dioxide to them. We can increase carbon dioxide production by consuming carbohydrates, exercising, and maintaining robust thyroid status.
• The fat-soluble vitamins thus interact not only with each other, but with other nutrients and metabolic factors as well. This level of complexity should urge us to exercise caution when interpreting scientific research, and to cooperate with the wisdom of nature by obtaining vitamins through nutrient-dense foods.
Throughout the twentieth century, we viewed the fat-soluble vitamins in isolation from one another. Researchers relegated vitamin K to blood coagulation, and ignored vitamin K2 entirely because it is present in such small quantities in the diet. Vitamins A and D each fell in and out of favour, the popularity of one always rising at the expense of the other. Ignoring the forest to study one tree at a time, the concept of synergy eluded us.
In order to truly understand the fat-soluble vitamins, however, we must understand that vitamins A, D, and K cooperate synergistically not only with each other, but also with essential minerals like magnesium and zinc, with dietary fat, and with key metabolic factors like carbon dioxide and thyroid hormone.

XPlus

viewtopic.php?f=75&t=3212
Lin said:
Everyone considering taking high vitamin A needs to listen to Ray's radio broadcast from 2-21-2014. He talks about vitamin A near the end (sorry, I didn't write down the time.) He says safe levels depend on the status of the thyroid. Too much vit A is antagonist to thyroid. Apparently thyroid hormone and vit A are carried on the same protein in the blood. It can act like a PUFA in competing with thyroid. Increasing thyroid hormone increases your requirement for vit A.
After listening, I decided not to take vit A at all until I can get some thyroid supplement, since my own thyroid levels are below normal!

If you have a good reserve or intake of carotene and vitamin b12, then you might not need the extra Vimain A. This isn't the ideal route for getting the vitmain A requiements but if stores are already there they might be sufficient for a while.
Sometimes the dandruff is tricky. I noticed recently that supplementing thyroid stops it.

I've been taking lot of vitamin A acetate on skin at some point.
On the areas where the skin is thin, the Vitamin A caused a cluster of what looks like Vitamin B6 deficiency spots.
It looked terrible but I doubt it's an allergic reaction.
And it happened after a while of stopping the vitamin A.

I've a theory.
Vitamin A not only improves the metabolism of local tissues where it's applied, it gets stored there for a while and is slowly absorbed to other parts.
Good thyroid function puts that stored amount into good use.

It would be interesting to find out what others think.

OP
S

Sheik

I don't think my calluses are orange. Maybe a little bit under a certain light. I generally eat liver once a week.

I've used each of the 4 vitamins in isolation which is why I think it's the vitamin A, if anything.

I do seem to have bad digestion. I'm working on that.

I've been supplementing with magnesium and zinc for the past week or so and I don't feel any better. I haven't tried a good dose of EstroBan yet. I also eat oysters once a week.

If I start taking, say, a grain of thyroid every day will my body start producing less on its own?

HDD

Sheik said:
I don't think my calluses are orange. Maybe a little bit under a certain light. I generally eat liver once a week.

I've used each of the 4 vitamins in isolation which is why I think it's the vitamin A, if anything.

I do seem to have bad digestion. I'm working on that.

I've been supplementing with magnesium and zinc for the past week or so and I don't feel any better. I haven't tried a good dose of EstroBan yet. I also eat oysters once a week.

If I start taking, say, a grain of thyroid every day will my body start producing less on its own?

From Peatarian email exchanges:
Ray Peat said:
[HOW TO STOP THYROID] If a person's thyroid gland has been inhibited by very high doses of a supplement, it takes only 2 or 3 days for the gland to resume full activity, and because it takes time for the hormone to be excreted, suddenly stopping a supplement shouldn't be noticeable, when the gland isn't being inhibited or malfunctioning.

I don't think 1 grain would be considered a very high dose.

marcar72

LucH said:
Sheik said:
Vitamin A. (...) I'll take a couple of drops but if I take too many I end up feeling pretty bad.
There are interactions between A and D vitamins. Perhaps are you deficient in cofactors. Do you suffrer from colopathy or bad digestion ...

Interactions between vitamins A, D, E, and K
http://www.westonaprice.org/health-topi ... -vitamins/
Summary
• Vitamins A, D, and K2 interact synergistically to support immune health, provide for adequate growth, support strong bones and teeth, and protect soft tissues from calcification.
Magnesium is required for the production of all proteins, including those that interact with vitamins A and D.
• Vitamins A and D support the absorption of zinc and zinc supports the absorption of all the fat-soluble vitamins.
• Many of the proteins involved in vitamin A metabolism and the receptors for both vitamins A and D only function correctly in the presence of zinc.
• Dietary fat is necessary for the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
• Vitamin K2 activates proteins by adding carbon dioxide to them. We can increase carbon dioxide production by consuming carbohydrates, exercising, and maintaining robust thyroid status.
• The fat-soluble vitamins thus interact not only with each other, but with other nutrients and metabolic factors as well. This level of complexity should urge us to exercise caution when interpreting scientific research, and to cooperate with the wisdom of nature by obtaining vitamins through nutrient-dense foods.
Throughout the twentieth century, we viewed the fat-soluble vitamins in isolation from one another. Researchers relegated vitamin K to blood coagulation, and ignored vitamin K2 entirely because it is present in such small quantities in the diet. Vitamins A and D each fell in and out of favour, the popularity of one always rising at the expense of the other. Ignoring the forest to study one tree at a time, the concept of synergy eluded us.
In order to truly understand the fat-soluble vitamins, however, we must understand that vitamins A, D, and K cooperate synergistically not only with each other, but also with essential minerals like magnesium and zinc, with dietary fat, and with key metabolic factors like carbon dioxide and thyroid hormone.

Very good summary on the fat soluble vitamins, so good that I'm gonna copy/paste it to a word doc. for future reference. Sometimes I forget why I do the things I do and this little summary surely helps... :2cents

tara

answersfound said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/92816/ Rather experiment with T3. You may want to start with a grain or even half a grain a day to bring tsh down.

Maybe too late to be relevant, but I'm not sure what you are meaning with this.
NDT is often measured in grains, 1 grain being about 65mg, and tablets coming in various sizes, 2 grains/130mg being fairly common.
T3 and T4 are usually measured in micrograms. I've never had/seen any, but I gather 25mcg is a common tablet size.
As far as I know no-one would ever use a whole grain of T3. I would expect that to be potentially very dangerous.
T3 is produced at a rate of about 3-4mcg/hour in a healthy body. It has a shortish half life of a few hours. If anyone is just starting out experimenting with T3 supplementation, I'd suggest trying tiny doses like 1-2mg several times a day (and monitoring temps and other effects).

Last edited by a moderator:

answersfound

I find that I get plenty of Vitamin A from dairy and eggs, in addition to any carotene that gets absorbed from fruits or carrots. I'm glad, because that means I don't need to stomach liver. It's the only food I strongly dislike.

squanch

answersfound said:
I find that I get plenty of Vitamin A from dairy and eggs, in addition to any carotene that gets absorbed from fruits or carrots. I'm glad, because that means I don't need to stomach liver. It's the only food I strongly dislike.

Regular beef liver is kinda disgusting, yeah.
Turkey liver or calf liver don't have that strong taste though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals