Thyroid Medicine Over The Counter?

joepotter

hello all,

I have not posted here before. I have only read various posts. I have read all of Ray Peat's articles and several interviews with him by various people. I just finished Broda Barnes book "Hypothyroidism: the unsuspected illness".

So here is the thing. I want to use thyroid supplementation but I don't want to have to go to the doctor to get permission to do so. So, I need to find an over the counter thyroid medication that would be like the medication that Dr. Barnes mentioned so very, very often in his book.

Can one find anything over the counter?

I do take pregnenolone, aspirin, K2, Vit E and Vit D on a regular basis in case anyone wants to know. (oh, and I am in my mid 60s)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

lindsay

Hi Joe! Welcome :)

In answer to your question, don't we all wish there was an over-the-counter product!! The closest thing is Haidut's TyroMax product, which is FDA approved for topical use only. It's a good product - especially if you've never taken thyroid before. In fact, that's probably preferable to anything you have to ingest. You can find his products at idealabs.com

jaguar43

hello all,

I have not posted here before. I have only read various posts. I have read all of Ray Peat's articles and several interviews with him by various people. I just finished Broda Barnes book "Hypothyroidism: the unsuspected illness".

So here is the thing. I want to use thyroid supplementation but I don't want to have to go to the doctor to get permission to do so. So, I need to find an over the counter thyroid medication that would be like the medication that Dr. Barnes mentioned so very, very often in his book.

Can one find anything over the counter?

I do take pregnenolone, aspirin, K2, Vit E and Vit D on a regular basis in case anyone wants to know. (oh, and I am in my mid 60s)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Ray Peat doesn't recommend desiccated thyroid, which is what Dr Barnes used for his patients. He has said that the present desiccated brands don't have real thyroid in them. He believes synthetic thyroid is more economical and better.

Ray Peat's recommended brands for thyroid has been out of production for more than a year. The pharmaceutical company is called Grossman and the medications are Cynomel and Cynoplus.

In the end it depends on what you want. It is unfortunate for the grossman brands to be out of production. Because they have never tried a good brand , and therefore don't know what it's suppose to feel like.

Last edited:

lindsay

Ray Peat's recommended brands for thyroid has been out of production for more than a year. The pharmaceutical company is called Grossman and the medications are Cynomel and Cynoplus.

I just ordered Novotiral from My Mexican Drugstore. If/when it arrives, I will report on it. It's the one RP mentioned recently in his interview with Danny Roddy. Though, I think topical is a better place to start for someone who's not taken thyroid before, as it can be really difficult to stop taking thyroid once you begin taking it.

OP
J

joepotter

... Though, I think topical is a better place to start for someone who's not taken thyroid before, as it can be really difficult to stop taking thyroid once you begin taking it.

Why is it difficult to stop taking thyroid once you start, and why would topical be better? I have not run into that idea before --- or else, I have and have forgotten.

jaguar43

I just ordered Novotiral from My Mexican Drugstore. If/when it arrives, I will report on it. It's the one RP mentioned recently in his interview with Danny Roddy. Though, I think topical is a better place to start for someone who's not taken thyroid before, as it can be really difficult to stop taking thyroid once you begin taking it.

I haven't heard Ray Peat recommend topical thyroid before. The idea that taking thyroid makes you depended on it isn''t necessarily true. Taking thyroid over time lowers one's need for it. Ray Peat has said that taking a thyroid supplement improves the function of ones thyroid. Even if people feel worse without thyroid medication. That doesn't justify one not taking it to begin with.

Richiebogie

Hi Joe,

Are you avoiding seeds and fish oils and eating OJ, milk, coffee & a little coconut oil?

These should improve your thyroid/metabolism and do not require a prescription [yet!]!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The idea that taking thyroid makes you depended on it isn''t necessarily true.
:+1

When you stop taking thyroid your body will revert back to the metabolic rate it is able to sustain on it's own.

lindsay

I haven't heard Ray Peat recommend topical thyroid before. The idea that taking thyroid makes you depended on it isn''t necessarily true. Taking thyroid over time lowers one's need for it. Ray Peat has said that taking a thyroid supplement improves the function of ones thyroid. Even if people feel worse without thyroid medication. That doesn't justify one not taking it to begin with.

Why is it difficult to stop taking thyroid once you start, and why would topical be better? I have not run into that idea before --- or else, I have and have forgotten.

I am just going by my personal experience. I took Cynoplus for about two years consistently, adjusting my dose when needed (I switched to Thiroyd brand briefly, but never felt as good on Thiroyd as on Cynoplus). Well, we all know Cynoplus is no longer available, so I stopped taking it and was relying on what I had left of my Thiroyd & Cytomel and began using TyroMax topically - I also took Iodine for awhile and it really helped. I felt great at first, but you know, T4 builds up in the system and tissues and can be converted to active thyroid for awhile. Until it's gone. And then, that's when things get tricky. At least for me - my energy levels dropped, I've had issues with Nausea (serotonin), allergies and headaches lately (things I didn't really deal with much when I was taking Cynoplus) - this same thing happened to me over two years ago when I had to stop taking Cytomel before blood tests (at the time, my pituitary & endocrine system was a mess). Thyroid is a beautiful thing and I would love to have a reliable source of it, but topical is not the same for me and if someone can benefit from topical, isn't it better than relying on a unstable source of it for internal usage?

In my experience, the thyroid doesn't just kick back in - it might feel like it is for awhile, but when the T4 wells run dry...... Anyhow, everyone is different.....

lindsay

When you stop taking thyroid your body will revert back to the metabolic rate it is able to sustain on it's own.

That's probably true, but since many people who opt for thyroid have terrible metabolic issues, that's not a fun thing to revert back to. Getting the thyroid to really function on it's own takes a lot more time and effort. I can now go without it, but it's not easy......

skycop00

Peptide companies all sell T3 which works great. Just use a dropper. One good company is Toppeptides.com

jaguar43

:+1

But it can sustain a higher metabolic rate than before taking the thyroid.

Sometimes it takes many months to get the metabolic rate stable at a higher level, and it's often necessary to use a thyroid supplement. - Ray Peat

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
But it can sustain a higher metabolic rate than before taking the thyroid.
Correct. Maybe "revert back" was not a good choice of words.

lindsay

Correct. Maybe "revert back" was not a good choice of words.

:) I'm definitely better off now after having taken thyroid for a few years. But I think some people need to sustain it for longer than others. It's very relative and individual. Do you still take Thyroid Charlie?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
J

joepotter

Hi Joe,

Are you avoiding seeds and fish oils and eating OJ, milk, coffee & a little coconut oil?

These should improve your thyroid/metabolism and do not require a prescription [yet!]!

Yes, I do the whole Peat thing mostly. A little PUFA gets into the diet when I eat out with the wife or mother. But I don't go overboard even then.

belcanto

Thanks for getting back to me so fast. But I still have no idea how to use the T3 peptide - one drop diluted in something, one drop applied to the skin, several drops . . . ? o_O (couldn't find a "scratching my head" emoji!)

lindsay

Peptide companies all sell T3 which works great. Just use a dropper. One good company is Toppeptides.com

Have you used the T3 from that peptide website? I was looking at the one from Blue Sky Peptide, just to keep it on hand for when I need it. I've been weaning off the last bits of my Cytomel for months.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals