Diet: Peat Vs. Broda Barnes

Also, right after he said that about ice cream, he talked about how coconut oil made him lose more body fat. So that shows that coconut fat is a special fat (MCT) and may increase burning of stored fat. But what that also shows is that he had more fat to lose then he realized before doing the coconut oil experiment. And I think that shows the difference between coconut fat used right vs. dairy fat.

"How beneficial are coconut oil and coffee to a healthy person with a good diet?"

"If the basic foods were chosen for minimal unsaturated fats, then coconut oil wouldn't add much of value. Coffee is a good source of magnesium and niacin, and has smaller amounts of other essential nutrients, besides the caffeine and antioxidants."-RP

In one of the audio interviews, he said he "hasn't had coconut oil in a long time" and when asked if someone should consume three tablespoons of coconut oil a day he laughed and said "no, more like three teaspoons." (one of the Herb Doctor interviews, Sarah asked him that question) So his view seems to be that it has to be used in the context of someone who should be using it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
How's that - bile overload?
I think hypometabolism and low fat can cause the gallbladder to make very little bile which can lead to congestion and more likely to develop stones and trouble. I did some googling around and saw others agreeing with my theory about the low fat part.

jyb

Not everyone is a thyroid master like Peat. The average person wouldn't be able to eat a quart of ice cream a day without taking thyroid as well as the other makeup of their diet. He's been on thyroid since the 70's.

Then how do you explain that "average" people like me or where I grew up do not have weight issues? I'm no thyroid master, but I do not see from a theoretical perspective why I would need to be one to oxidise fats well. If I didn't, I would grow fat very quickly as I eat a lot of it. The same applies to those who eat more traditional, full fat products.

Then how do you explain that "average" people like me or where I grew up do not have weight issues? I'm no thyroid master, but I do not see from a theoretical perspective why I would need to be one to oxidise fats well. If I didn't, I would grow fat very quickly as I eat a lot of it. The same applies to those who eat more traditional, full fat products.

What's your height, age, and weight in kilos?

jyb

Also, right after he said that about ice cream, he talked about how coconut oil made him lose more body fat. So that shows that coconut fat is a special fat (MCT) and may increase burning of stored fat.

That's after the 15 years, when he started with coconut oil.

That's after the 15 years, when he started with coconut oil.

No.

"For about, I guess 15 years, I had a quart a day. And it did not affect my weight. But when I added about an ounce of coconut oil, my weight went down, in spite of eating the same quart of ice cream plus an ounce of coconut oil."

jyb

So, constant weight...then when he adds coconut oil, weight goes down. Feel free to correct me if I have poor command of English. I can search for another ice cream quote, though. Not that I think that ice cream is a particularly great food -- just that it is nothing special to keep normal weight while eating fat, even for Ray.

So, constant weight...then when he adds coconut oil, weight goes down. Feel free to correct me if I have poor command of English. I can search for another ice cream quote, though. Not that I think that ice cream is a particularly great food -- just that it is nothing special to keep normal weight while eating fat, even for Ray.

Yes and that shows that MCT fat from coconut is a special fat. What it also shows is that he had more fat to lose then he realized before adding the coconut oil. And I think it shows the difference between coconut fat used right vs. dairy fat. I think dairy fat can be used right as well but I think there is a clear difference in the two fats.

tara

The gallbladder is not important.
I think there are people here without them who have experience to the contrary.
Doesn't the bile being appropriately released from the gall bladder in response to food help with the digestion and assimilation of the food?

Stryker

i guess what we have to ask ourselves here is what % of body fat would you call someone as being "fat"?

i can keep normal weight eating large amounts of saturated fat too but im not happy sitting at 20% BF like some people would be

Last edited by a moderator:

Ahanu

i guess what we have to ask ourselves here is what % of body fat would you call someone as being "fat"?
Yes, that is an interesting question. If i look at healthy children who are supposed to have a thriving metabolism i don't see a "lean" body composition. We wouldnt call them fat. But with the same body composition but at an age of say 40 they would be called slightly obese . Seems like a joke to me.

Stryker

Yes, that is an interesting question. If i look at healthy children who are supposed to have a thriving metabolism i don't see a "lean" body composition. We wouldnt call them fat. But with the same body composition but at an age of say 40 they would be called slightly obese . Seems like a joke to me.
lmao good point

Atalanta

I think hypometabolism and low fat can cause the gallbladder to make very little bile which can lead to congestion and more likely to develop stones and trouble. I did some googling around and saw others agreeing with my theory about the low fat part.

The liver makes bile, the gallbladder collects it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Parsifal

I am eating a low fat diet (less than 5% of calories) and I'm gaining weight despite being on thyroid and having good temps and pulses and eating 3000kcal/day which is not a lot according to the standards on this forum (for my height and age).

I think that is because of the sugar (people here say that the de novo lipogenesis is low even with a lot of sugar but that is not my experience) so maybe I will start to eat less.

We have gallbladders for a reason...it's to store bile for when a person eats a higher fat meal. Bile emulsifies fats and aids in the digestion of fat soluble vitamins.

Yes, lots of people have had their gallbladders removed, it DOES NOT make it "normal" or ideal. High levels of estrogen will thicken the bile. Excess body fat produces excess estrogen. Chronic low fat dieters, particularly women (especially those who are estrogen dominant from taking birth control pills) often develop gallbladder disease.

It's important to have weekly re-feeds (higher fat meals) when dieting in a very low fat manner in order to keep the bile thin and flowing, this is especially true for aging women.

aquaman

I don't think this is true. Depends on the age range of what you mean by child. My nephew is 9 and has about 5mm of fat on his belly. He's always hot and wears shorts outside in winter. He's been like that since he was about 2.

aquaman

I am eating a low fat diet (less than 5% of calories) and I'm gaining weight despite being on thyroid and having good temps and pulses and eating 3000kcal/day which is not a lot according to the standards on this forum (for my height and age).

I think that is because of the sugar (people here say that the de novo lipogenesis is low even with a lot of sugar but that is not my experience) so maybe I will start to eat less.

How quickly did you jump to this level of eating from your previous?

I assume you're eating over 500g carbs per day? If you can't metabolise glucose well, then obviously you'll get fat.

Bodhi

lmao good point

I have noticed in rural/tribal people (in documentaries) that allot of these people have imperfect bodies, with different compositions...
Yes some tribes have close to perfect bodies according to our view, but most of them have saggy bums, hanging balls, round bellies and tea bag ***s...
Yesterday at school (western medicine foundation) where i am in class with allot of "health"freaks i noticed how one paleo guy looks pale, sluggish, abdominal fat and really grey hair, while a woman who is low carb and full of raw food looked amazing to me.....

Maybe it's the genes after all.....

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals